viswa7007

What touring Bike suits me?

4 posts in this topic

I'm Viswadeep from coimbatore and I'm planning to buy a superbike for touring and light adventure. I'm 6.2" tall & I have shortlisted Kawasaki Versys 1000, Bmw 1200 GS , ducati multistrada 1200S, and triumph tiger 800. I am keen towards BMW 1200GS and read many articles about it, and I also like the versys's engine since its inline 4 cylinder, its much more refined. And moreover, I have a local service centre for kawasaki in my place. So kindly suggest me a good bike among the choices I have mentioned and apart from my choices too. And also suggest me what and all I should see before purchasing a superbike?

All these bike which you have mentioned are a great mix of highway touring and adventure bites. However, Tiger and Versys are more suitable in Indian perspective given following reasons: -

1. Both Ducati and BMW are like Computers onboard. There is a lot of electronic and you will really have to wait long for replacement of a part if it fails because most of them are imported from italy or Germany.
  2. The Cost of any maintenance or repair is 7th sky high in case of Ducati and BMW
  3. with a price of approx 35 Lac you may not want to get plastic things attached to your bike. For instance the panniers in Ducati are plastic whereas in tiger they are aluminum.

As far as Versys and Tiger is concerned. I would say it is all matter of budget now. Also, the Tiger is more technically advanced and has more technology involved in it and on the same time it is roughed. Versys on the other side has a smoother engine.

I know it is going to be hard to decide but I would suggest take a day off, call all 4 dealers and get back to back TR (Test Ride) of all these machines. They all are gems in their own way.

Good luck.

Edited by Sstar

21 hours ago, Sstar said:

All these bike which you have mentioned are a great mix of highway touring and adventure bites. However, Tiger and Versys are more suitable in Indian perspective given following reasons: -

1. Both Ducati and BMW are like Computers onboard. There is a lot of electronic and you will really have to wait long for replacement of a part if it fails because most of them are imported from italy or Germany.
  2. The Cost of any maintenance or repair is 7th sky high in case of Ducati and BMW
  3. with a price of approx 35 Lac you may not want to get plastic things attached to your bike. For instance the panniers in Ducati are plastic whereas in tiger they are aluminum.

As far as Versys and Tiger is concerned. I would say it is all matter of budget now. Also, the Tiger is more technically advanced and has more technology involved in it and on the same time it is roughed. Versys on the other side has a smoother engine.

I know it is going to be hard to decide but I would suggest take a day off, call all 4 dealers and get back to back TR (Test Ride) of all these machines. They all are gems in their own way.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response. I visited BMW showroom in Banglore and I'm more impressed on R1200GSA now. The bike is also not as much expensive as you mentioned above, it costs Rs 17.5 lakhs. Though its little bit expensive than Kawasaki, it has loads of features compared to the former. Let me wait for some more days as GST is ahead, and I hope for some price benefits.

On 5/23/2017 at 5:57 PM, viswa7007 said:

Thank you for your response. I visited BMW showroom in Banglore and I'm more impressed on R1200GSA now. The bike is also not as much expensive as you mentioned above, it costs Rs 17.5 lakhs. Though its little bit expensive than Kawasaki, it has loads of features compared to the former. Let me wait for some more days as GST is ahead, and I hope for some price benefits.

I think these are now available as CKD unit rather fully imported from Germany. In this case, definitely the price is going to be at least 40% cheaper than what i initially mentioned.

Btw...hope you would have finalized by now.