*** Please Update your Email Account ! ***

Booked i20 CRDi...Now Delivered

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

librankur
  • librankur
  • Recognised Contributor

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Yes the capdase one costed me 899 and was ordered from flipkart (they delivered it in the same day I booked @ 8am they delivered @ 5pm) .

Amazer and Belkin are other good quality accessories but are more expensive than the capdase unit . I am also contemplating getting the arm rest which is available in the new i20 ASTA lets see if Hyundai can provide one ,also they still havn't got that glovebox lamp and rheostat that I had ordered . The HMP mumbai store manager just doesn't care for the customer's needs unlike some other HASS.

I have already started to like your posts , our tastes are somewhat similar,recently, got a similar centre console for my swift from ebay for 1k , (local procurement not MGA)

Whats a rheostat ?

Do you have names of other online sites that have such car accessories ?

I have never met a car that i did not like.

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

@sb-alto both the fog lamp are lit the right fog is positioned to focus down on the road so that it doesn't cause glare to on coming traffic .

Actually 4300k is pure white light and anything above is bluish light which I didn't want (I wanted this upgrade not needed it) . I had though of going for a 5000k but with the colour difference pictures on the net the 4300k is the best bet . Also going above 5000k will only add to bling and not improve visibility .

I am going to see it the mismatch in light colours will cause pain while driving at night before I go in for new lights . Anyways I have around 4 sets of headlamps already

The spare bulbs in OE kit

The Philips xtreme 60W (+80% light ) which I replaced after the pathetic OE

Then the Phillips 100W bulb which meets my high beam requirement .

I will be going for a projector headlamps with HID in future (I need to save a lot for it ) . Anyways it will either be the projector or RD box next time I will upgrade my i20.

i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

W5H !!! 

What : South India road vacation trip

When : 19 May to 30 May

Why : Hadn’t gone for family holiday since past 4 years

Where : Covered Hampi , Bangy ,Mysuru, Ooty, Munnar, Kochi ,Mangy & Goa

Who : Me ,Sis , Dad & Mom

How : Our very own i20 CRDi

Total distance covered – 3750

Expense on fuel – Rs 8500

FE – 19 (averaging diesel @ Rs 43) 100% AC

Punctures – None

Since I myself drove for 85 hours for the whole trip and didn’t let Dad drive it I can safely conclude that driving continuously for 8 hours a day in i20 is fatigue free (includes 20 mins breaks after 4 hours).

Car

Engine – It is a highway mile muncher and the sweet spot is 120 kmph in 5th gear . One needs to understand the limitation of the engine i.e. lag below 1600 rpm to make the best of this engine . Especially in ghat roads once you go below 1600rpm with 4 heavy people and boot full luggage you need to downshift otherwise you will stall . Anyways this engine compliment the i20 well because the diesel i20 is stiffer than the petrol cousin and handles the road better .

Transmission – The gearbox is positive for the most part . The first gear is very short which might me irritating in the city but on steep climbs its excellent . The problem is when come across a speedbreaker the difference btw the 1 and 2 gear is more noticeable and while slowing down to engage the 1 gear you need extra force than when you engage at stand still .

Seats – The i20 was designed to be a European car and hence the India friendly softer seat are not available in i20 this might be regarded as bad in city but on the long trips you don’t get backaches and it supports the body well . The underthigh support which I first though will be a bit lacking was not felt in this trip .

Suspension – Yes the i20 is considered to be a poor handler but of to be fair it is above average handler and it has predictable handling than say a Verna whose rear just steps out as mentioned by many testers . There is constant verticle movement at poor roads but its not as bad to give on a headaches .

Modification : I had installed autorunner which is nothing but a rubber donut which renders 1 coil useless therefore the rear of i20 wasn’t sagging at full load and helps in bad speed breakers.

Tyres – Apollo have made a good compromise on the grip and durability of this tyre . The tyre noise I would rate is better than MRF ZVTS , JK Vectra ,Bridgestone and Goodyear in the same specs . The wet grip is not so strong though . It will last 15k more easily .

Steering – Yes its super light in the city but it weighs up nicely at expressway speeds or it is just that I am now more used to it . I know the exact amount of lock to be applied even in a fast corner but it will definitely not please a person after driving a ford or fiat .

AC – Again this is remember a 90cc compressor were as an i10 has 110cc but I would rate the cooling rate poor but maintaining the temperature in good but I think its an issue with the vent design rather than the small compressor . The front seat people are chilled to bone then the rear people ask to increase the blower but I have found a sweet spot is direction the air to the rear passenger .

Trip Schedule

Day 1

Mumbai 19th @ 4am

Hubli 19th@2pm

Hospet (hampi) 19th @5pm

Day 2

Hospet 20th @ 11am

Bangy  20th @ 4pm                              

Day 3

Bangy 21th  @ 7 am

Mysuru 21th @ 11am

Day 4

Mysuru 22nd @ 6am

Ooty 22nd @ 1pm

Day 6

Ooty 24th @ 5 am

Munnar 24th @ 2pm

Day 8

Munnar 26th @ 6am

Kochi 26th @ 10 am

Day 9

Kochi 27th @ 5am

Mangy 27th @ 3pm

Day 10

Mangy 28th @ 7am

Goa 28th @ 2pm

Day12

Goa 30th @ 6am

Mumbai 30th @ 4 pm

We took the obvious route to reach Hubli which was expressway till pune then NH4 till Hubli . Having done Mumbai Hubli before we were confident that we will eat breakfast @ Kharad (Pankaj resort –nice food) and lunch in Hubli .

Hubli – Hospet route was NH67 which is average road condition to say the least .After reaching hospet we rested for night and early in the morning went to see hampi which is 20 kms away from city centre .It was good to go early because in the afternoon the tempratures rise upto 40 degrees . After hampi we left for bangy .

We took the NH till Chitradurga and from there we took NH4 ,stopped for lunch at a place called Hiriyur. This place has many bars with restaurant which one must avoid because the restaurants stink of alcohol and the place are not so clean . We managed to find a nice veg restaurant and the food was tasty and cheap .

We then continued on our journey till bangy , while reaching the city I found that all the roads and traffic is better than Mumbai . We visited UG city mall and there was nothing much in it except for the fountain the place is not exactly enjoyable. We then visited many other streets doing window shopping and enjoying the climate. Also there weren’t many traffic light and the city roads are good and also the so called huge speedbreakers are actually really good idea ,my car never scraped the belly and also the bus driver also slowed down well unlike our BEST bus drivers . The city was some what in a building state due to the Metro project but 5 years down the line the transport system will be sorted well.

Bangy – Mysuru was covered the next day the road is pretty straight forward till one has to join the state highway after sometime. Now Mysuru is the most clean city we found in our visit the traffic is well controlled and the roads are excellent. We visited the Mysore Palace which we felt was too conjusted to be enjoyed well. We admired the beauty from the outside more so than inside. Next we visited Mysore silk emporium which was a no fly zone territory for me, I just sat down and saw as hundreds of saree’s were being shown patiently (It was a KMN situation arrrgh !!).

As the sun started to fall we visited Brindawan Garden which is situated next to a Dam unfortunately no one is allowed to go on the dam and we cannot see the lake. My expectation of garden was huge since Dad and Mom were saying that it was made for shooting a scene on some film but though the garden is well kept the waterfall tiles have lost colour due to Algae formation. After the tiring day we went to have a nice North Indian meal (I just couldn’t eat any more Dosa’s /Idlly’s) we had Hydrabadi Chicken which I asked them to make it extra spicy and I can never forget the tasty and the spiciness of that dish in my life (Din Ban Gaya Tha).

Mysuru – Ooty ,Next morning we were to leave for Ooty and we hadn’t had a Mysore Masala Dosa and for breakfast we went from hotel to hotel but no one can get a Mysore Masala Dosa in Mysore. Many restaurant have them on only specific dates (BamBai Me To Bahut Asani Se Milta Hai). Anyways after a normal Masala dosa and Wada we left for Ooty . The roads in South India are great and we followed the NH and found ourself crossing many Sanctuaries and seeing some beautiful elephants ,monkeys ,deers and a lion . After sometime we were on a junction and I asked my mom that do you want a scenic route or the normal route she wanted the scenic one so we left the NH and went on to the SH . This is a single laned highway were vehicle come in from both directions (Road Patle Thi ). One has to often cross the road shoulder for other vehicle to pass . This route passes from thick forest and one can easily sense the calmness inspite of poor road . Suddenly then this road turn into a drivers delight with 45 hair pin bends with 45 degree inclines (I am not kidding seriously) . My dad was like this steepness is not there even in our real Mountain’s of HP. The situation can be termed as heart in mouth the car was in the 1st and 2nd gear though out but it was fun for me and I could notice that the power delivery was coming later and later after a couple of series of hairpin’s due to altitude .

We retired early for the night and next day went to see the Tea Museum , Botanical Garden , rosewood furniture and lakehouse . Ooty was overcrowded and one cannot find a decent place to eat considering that it is a tourist destination . IMO it is not worth going to Ooty anymore it is a bit over-rated or may me there were just too many tourists.

Ooty – Munnar , According to many review’s read online I knew that Munnar has to be much better than Ooty and hence I was more keen on the gas . The roads in TN were inferior to Karnataka and the roads either had pothole or were patched up . On the way to Munnar we had to cross Coimbatore were we had decicious Idlly with Red Chutny (the best one we had in this trip). The road to Munnar passes through a Sanctuary were the transition from TN to Kerala take place and immediately we see that the patch of road is so much smoother and this looks like a newly laid road which will be destroyed after rain but this smooth road runs everywere in Kerala so no concerns (A big thumbs up to the Kerala Road Contractor) . From 40 kms before Munnar we can see the start of tea plantations and my sis was aching me to stop for a pic in the Tea garden for profile pic update (They never let go of FB anywere) but I was adamant that Munnar has only Tea gardens and one can find a great spot later on which we did. The place is covered in clouds and suddenly from the 42 degree heat with in 10 kms the temp reading in the car dashboard went to 21 and I thought that there might be some problem with the sensor but I opened the window and a cool breeze went inside the car and the AC was turned off and all windows opened now I was driving very relaxed and we went into out hotel and retire for the night .

Next day we went to see some dam’s ,garden , view point and waterfall but it was the peace in the surrounding and the really excellent road (I might have even kissed it) that made it a pleasant stay . There are very good hotels and resorts so the food is excellent and the stay calms the senses . I will really recommend this place to all and everyone to visit when going to South . I think it is even better hill station than Kodaikannal in TN .

Munnar – Kochi , Next day the driving distance and time was less so I was easy on the gas and it did wonder’s to the FE (downhill always help’s) I got around 24kpl with 4 ,3 and 2 gear engine braking .As we were reaching the Kochi city at a small town we came across a number of furniture shops (furnite ka Khazana) we found the prices of furniture cheaper by upto 10 time (Seriously I am not kidding). It was so tempting that we ordered some furniture worth 40k which if bought in Mumbai will have cost up 3 lakhs. (yeah we need to pay transport extra but still it will be much cheaper). Highly recommended !

In Kochi there is a really big problem of the sign boards all of them are in the local language so its useless and in cities the phone GPS signal is not caught properly . The city is good and clean and the seashore is ‘clean’ . Since we had to reach Mangy next day we slept early dreaming of the awesome roads of Kerala in Mumbai .

Kochi – Mangy , This jorney though looks around 450kms but the time taken is 9 hours but the jorney is refreshing . I love the roads even the normal roads are of the same quality like that of the highways therefore when we made some wrong turns we were not aware of it until I checked my GPS phone but since we knew we were going north we continued on these roads and it was a blessing because people in Kerala have fantastic looking homes and the paint is excellent the backwaters with coconut trees everwhere is a site watching everyday. I am still on a thought whether to settle in Kerala in future such good is the place . The people there are helpful and recommend that we go on these non highway roads because there is more traffic in the NH than one these roads and there isn’t a reason to complain because all roads are wonderful to drive on .

After crossing into Karnataka I was prepared for poor road and it was so (still better than Maharashtra ). We reached Manglore without being tired and went to see some local beaches. This city is a place were we found that on a Sunday no one is outside and the roads were empty and the beaches were clean and with less people . After this drive we were a bit more tired and dad was feeling a bit off so we went to the room and I watched the Monaco GP in the room. Some localites said the ice-cream fruit mix is Manglore speciality and we brought us with 3 cups of the butterscotch icecream and enjoyed it to the fullest . Since we were a bit full already the dinner we needed was light so we asked the person incharge of the hotel to get us a chicken gravy with dal and rice . We gave him 300 bucks since in small town food is very cheap .He got us a full plate of tasty chicken curry along with 6 amristari paratha and dal fry and jeera rice all for only 222 bucks . We were awed by the tasty and cheap food in these inflation times (by far the best VFM meal). Anyway enough of food (I am a foodaholic which can make out by my dimension) we slept for the night with our stomach full snorting away and automatically woke up at 5 am (adat lag gayi thi).

Mangy – Goa , Since we were in Karnataka I was a bit worried about the road condition but the road were good enough except for the patches on the back water crossings . We reached Goa pretty early and had a nice lunch near Colva beach which has adjoining restaurants for 2 kms along with wine shops. In the evening we went to the beach and lay around near the water with waves hitting us every 30 secs ,watching people parasailing which I wanted to do but neither mom nor dad wanted to go along with me so I dropped the idea (Will definitely go with friends next time).

The next day we went to see Vasco ,Panaji ,and some test drives . Yes you read it right there were really bog showrooms along the NH and I was just tempted . With less crowd and more display car it was a dream come true and the salesman/woman were willing to give test drives even if we said that we are just looking and not buying . The Nissan dealership was the best with the Micra and Sunny available for TD along with the Teana and X-trail . I chose the Sunny D because it is the next bestseller because it suits the Indian perfectly . I read many online and magzines review so knew what to expect .

The Sunny D has no turbolag (Zlich!!) it is ideal for the city travel and the AC is a chiller (i20’s is worst at start up). The engine is best for 3500rpm and above it is too flat to continue revving. Dad didn’t come along the TD and was outside and said the engine makes too much noise on the outside . The rear legroom is great but I felt claustrophobic due to the room hitting my head at the back the i20 is perfect J head and sholder room also the plastics are not welcome for the 9 lakhs plus vehicle . The brakes I knew lack response but seriously the first 1/3rd travel in the pedal applies only 15% of the braking power which is really scary after the excellent brakes of i20 (D).

The next showroom was Maruti yeh! I needed to check the Ertiga and all I can say that it can only seat 7 medium to small people size in comfort the rear seats are joke for even an early teenage from my family thought the car feels great the width is a disappointment  but on nudging the sales lady that we will pay full in cash for the ZDi variant she said that she will deliver the vehicle tomorrow itself (I love small town and cities for this reason) they had a healthy stock of vehicles with them .

Anyway enjoyed the TD’s, beach and the restaurant except the hot and humid climate of 38 degrees we were to head home next day and the choice of road was NH4 because the Mum-Goa highway has the maximum number of fatality in India and I don’t wanna take chances the roads are also not in good condition .

Goa – Mumbai  , We started early and decided to take the connecting road from Savantwadi to Kohlapur and the road was in good condition and with really small traffic but after reaching the NH4 we realized that even the connecting road was bad (NH4 feels like velvet under the tyres). I then went for a good mileage run till Mumbai (we had a whole day to reach Mumbai) by 1430hours we reached Pune and then continued on the expressway and had lunch at the halfway point on the expressway. Here we got a great mileage of 24kpl with AC  (Goa to midway point).

Some Interesting points noted on my trip

1.       I20 CRDI is excellent cruiser @ 120kmph

2.       Maharashtra accounted for 85% of toll taxes I paid (Approx amount 1200 –Dad “Maharashtra me bas log bak bak karte yaha toll tax dena bahut ganda lagta .Kerala me 1000 rupiya bhi de deta ”) . Its very sad and agonizing to pay toll in Maharashtra were as states like Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu has excellent roads and even if a toll comes one has to only pay 5 bucks.

3.       Its easy to do 800-1000kms in a day without feeling fatigue.

4.       Small turbo engine on steep climbs struggles (the CRDI ,multijet ,Ford TDCI 1.4 & as well as 1.5 nissan Renault engine suffer massively in turbo lag region).

5.       The cigarette lighter plug accessory is a must in long journey as one can use any make charger ie. Phone ,lappy ,camera and also make cuppa tea (kettle).

6.       Indian roads are now must developed than 5 to 10 years one can easily travel by own vehicle which is much cheaper than a sleeper class train ticket.

7.       The most important part of vehicle is the tyres make sure you have them in the best condition before any long trip.

Some important thing on needs for a long family vacation by road.

<

i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

gurrala74
  • gurrala74
  • Intermediate License
  • LocationHyderabad

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

@rssh

Thank you for a great review, more than the car review I am impressed with the places and photo graphs and the narration. I just felt like I was there with you in the car and visited all those places

wonderful, keep it up

RK

"Drive Safe,Be Alive"

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Posted ImagePaid service :angry:  review !

After my long trip I though that before rain arrives I will better get my car service as a Preventive Maintainance so on 4 th Jun I called the HMP store and place order for some accessories which I needed
1. Glovebox lamp
2. Rheostat illumination
3. Front drive armrest (new i20 asta one)
They confirmed and said that it will take them 20 days for these item to reach .
After exactly 2 weeks on the 18th of June I called them to ask for the Status for my accessories and they said that I hadn't ordered anything . I lost my cool because the glovebox lamp I have ordered so many time but it never reaches . They didn't have some manners and blamed me for not remembering the name of the person who took my order (Why should I remember there name I ordered @ Hyundai store !!! :angry: ) . Next item they said my fault was that in my cars VIN number the armrest doesn't come I said them obviously because mine is the older one .

Anyways I had to get my car serviced and called on the 25th to book an appointment and they said earliest slot is on thursday which was fine . On wednesday they called me and said that they have cancelled my appointment because of some issues at the service centre but I said I am coming no matter with or without appointment .

At the service centre , this time I waited at the service centre and took some magzines and laptop from home to pass time . I reached at 0830hours and there was no SE . The lady on the phone said they start @ 0730hrs and even after and hour there weren't any SE's . Now I got a young SE and by looking at him you can see his inexperience he took me into the service garage because it started raining outside .

I asked for synthetic (as usual not there) he said no . I gave in some complaints like spongy brakes steering giving some sound in poor roads (Not the steering rattling which was plagued in the earlier i20's type) . He noted all the scratches etc ,now I asked him to put an additional horn in the parrallel to the existing horn for which the wiring is provided by Hyundai itself (I know this from many ownership reviews) but he says there isn't and parrallel wiring and called a service mechanic which agreed to him (I still am skeptical that there is one). Next I tell him about my HMP store nemesis and he says that I will myself have to deal with those problem . This pissed me off and I directly went to the store room which was prohibited to enter by customers (I had availed customer care service but hadn't received any calls) and demanded to meet the guy who talked to me before . Suddenly he went inside the store looking for the parts and found the 1st and 2nd item but still no sign of armrest.

Now I come again to my car in the garage and ask for the quotation and he said the max is 4200 all inclusive . I told him to repaire the damages Left hand ORVM which was hanging by the wires and some idiot just tried to remove them from my car one night . He said "I will see what I can do ". He asked for by number and I said I will be waiting in the Lounge ,listening to this he said that I will take time (6 pm+) because the service centre is crowded and as per me there were only 3 vehicle there for service other were accidental repair cars . I told him that is take maimum of 4 hours for service and I want my car back by 2 at max . He also told me to meet some customer service head about the store complaint .

Now describing the lounge it is a good and clean place and the drivers and owner have separate places to sit but the toilets in the lounge are used by everyone . There is no provision to provide the customer with Tea water of coffee (even TATA provides this), especially in a company owned service centre SHAME ON YOU HYUNDAI.

After 3 hours (ie after 1130am) a guy comes and ask for me and says that he the customer care guy but doesn't look like it and I question him whether he is the head of customer care and he says that the head is gone on a months vacation :angry: . Anyways I tell him my ordeal and he says that there is a parts supply problem with Hyundai and they are not entertaining and special accessory request and that I should have ordered the part through an SE to which I replied that I had been these same (1st and 2nd) ordering parts since 2 years and still no one call me or pick up my phone and then he say that most SE's have left Hyundai (Is that my problem?). Anyways he said he will call me in 2 day which he hasn't done till now and I now even don't care also he says I will have to change my whole front driver seat for the armrest to be attached to which I showed him the OE Hyundai armrest as an independant part on the net . Now he was a bit scared of me and tried to run away but I stopped him and questioned what he will do about the insult his store people have put on me and blaming me for not ordering there parts (I had there number in my call log and showed it to the so called customer care guy.)

At 1300hrs the SE comes and says the OVRM need to be replaced and will cost 5k without painting (painting 2k more). Now I lost it and said you all are good for nothing and leave the ORVM as it is (later I fixed it for 200 bucks at the local mechanic because the mirror only need 3 screws to be inserted from the bottom panel of the ORVM as only they were broken Phew! saved 5k).

At 1430hrs he says the car is sent for washing and handed me a bill of 7600 which was shocking because niether I asked him for a new ORVM nor wheel alignment (asked for this and he said pick the car tomorrow) nor wipers (stupid price of 800 bucks outside got the bosch one for 300 bucks) . Even if we remove the accessory cost the serice cost is 7grand for a 20k service . I thankgod carried my Dad's debit card because otherwise I would have got 5k car only . Before paying the bill I demanded him to show me the car and frankly speaking it wasn't cleaned properly I asked the SE to remove the stain on the rear seats which he said come only under interior detailing (why did he tell me that before ?). Also there was no touch up done and I shouted at him and he ran inside and got the 3M guy out with the paint and my car was now outside the service centre on the main road near cotton green station getting touch up with all the dust in the world getting settled on the car while I was paying the bill . Now the situation is hopeless and I didn't shout or scream and as my car was already I just crumbled the gate pass and handed it to the watchman . :angry:

After words a person comes with a pen and service rating paper I gave them an average score of 6 and the guy said the car is clean sir but I told him what about the crowshit on the rear . Again the customer care guy arrived outside the gate and gave all the excuses and didn't even ask me about a re-wash which speaks volumes about the HMP Cotton Green Service Centre.

Lesson learnt
1. Never agrue with stupid people because they drag you to there level and beat you with there experience.
2. After Warrenty go to independant mechanics for routine services and easy repairs .
3. Buy your own oil and filter and serice it by a local mechanic
eg.
Mobile Develac 1 (synthetic)= 3.5k
Oil filter =300
fuel filter = 1400
air filter (after 15k kms)=300
mechanic labour cost = 600 bucks (yes it includes washing ,greasing, brake bleeding etc)
Total = 6.5k (synthetic oil) otherwise 4k
Peace of mind and fast job and good enough for a year or 12k kms.

Edited by rssh, 08 July 2012 - 03:43 PM.

i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have had 4 blissful years with my car and have covered 40k kms. But yesterday it developed a fault, the airbag light is on when running the car and the battery light is flickering too when going over the bumps. I checked my battery today and since it was on its last leg bought a new one (Rs8500) but the problem hasn't disappeared I have been reading the internet for problems but cannot find solution. I have checked under the seat sensor of airbag and it is fine. The car is running fine but the battery light is scaring me, maybe there might be an alternator problem as it might not be charging the battery.

I have taken service appointment but am only getting appointment after 10 days, also as this is not a service problem but a safety problem I want to solve the problem asap.

Guys is there a competent service centre were I can check this problem.
i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

lxtreme
  • lxtreme
  • Intermediate License
  • LocationGoalpara, Assam

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postrssh, on 14 October 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

I have had 4 blissful years with my car and have covered 40k kms. But yesterday it developed a fault, the airbag light is on when running the car and the battery light is flickering too when going over the bumps. I checked my battery today and since it was on its last leg bought a new one (Rs8500) but the problem hasn't disappeared I have been reading the internet for problems but cannot find solution. I have checked under the seat sensor of airbag and it is fine. The car is running fine but the battery light is scaring me, maybe there might be an alternator problem as it might not be charging the battery.

I have taken service appointment but am only getting appointment after 10 days, also as this is not a service problem but a safety problem I want to solve the problem asap.

I suggest you wait for your appointment and go to the Hyundai Service Centre. :)
Safe drive Long life

i20 Magna(O)

Prashantroxx
  • Prashantroxx
  • Advanced License
  • LocationNoida, NCR, India

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postrssh, on 14 October 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

it may be an alternator problem ormaybe done wiring issue
The car you drive says a lot

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thanks guys for the response; I went to HMP cotton green service centre and the car was there for 3 days for full diagnosis, bad news its an alternator problem and it has been shorted ,also another bummer is that the airbag control module (30k) is fried due to the short circuit. Hyundai only replaces the alternator which is priced at a hefty 28k but the service advisor said we should repair the alternator than buy a new one from outside. So I have fixed an appointment with an expert shop in Opera house for Monday and will share the details of the outcome.

The reason of short is mostly rat bite ,guys please install a mesh grill below the sump guard (which is necessary in damp climate places ) which I will do shortly.

As for HMP I got Zero service bill + car wash which was a bit of a relief Hyundai is really a good company ,I don't have any complaints because they had taken out dashboard apart and checked everything. I hope Hyundai follows Ford's child part strategy so that such parts can be serviced instead of being replaced.

Also guy help me find this part if possible
Airbag Control Unit
Mobis Continental for PB (for i20)
95910-1J200
Posted Image

I think it will be cheaper if one sources from parts dealer.
i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

Prashantroxx
  • Prashantroxx
  • Advanced License

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

View Postrssh, on 19 October 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Thanks guys for the response; I went to HMP cotton green service centre and the car was there for 3 days for full diagnosis, bad news its an alternator problem and it has been shorted ,also another bummer is that the airbag control module (30k) is fried due to the short circuit. Hyundai only replaces the alternator which is priced at a hefty 28k but the service advisor said we should repair the alternator than buy a new one from outside. So I have fixed an appointment with an expert shop in Opera house for Monday and will share the details of the outcome.

The reason of short is mostly rat bite ,guys please install a mesh grill below the sump guard (which is necessary in damp climate places ) which I will do shortly.

As for HMP I got Zero service bill + car wash which was a bit of a relief Hyundai is really a good company ,I don't have any complaints because they had taken out dashboard apart and checked everything. I hope Hyundai follows Ford's child part strategy so that such parts can be serviced instead of being replaced.

Also guy help me find this part if possible
Airbag Control Unit
Mobis Continental for PB (for i20)
95910-1J200
Posted Image

I think it will be cheaper if one sources from parts dealer.

do as the service adviser says, but getting it done from outdoor may be a problem. ask him if it is safe as the alternator can effect many electrical components of your cat

Prashantroxx
  • Prashantroxx
  • Advanced License

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

* car, sorry for the typing error

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

The Service Advisor himself said that alternator can be repaired outside at a fraction of cost of replacing with a new one. Its not rocket science but it should be done properly and hence I am going to a service centre who only repairs starter motors and alternator and many people recommend him.

I can live w/o airbag but alternator is a priority and the SA himself said first repair the alternator then he will check the airbag module again.
i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

PrancingHorse
  • PrancingHorse
  • Moderators
  • LocationMumbai

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Its good to see that your service advisor is honest in telling you that the alternator can be repaired outside. Get your alternator done and then resolve the airbag issue but dont ignore it.

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Finally got my alternator repaired and its been running good with no battery light when the car is switched on.
Shop - Best Auto Electric (Lucas-Bosch-Amaron dealer)
Address - Next to shetty motors (on the right when going from Charni Road, Kenndy Bridge, Opera House
Phone - 23826037 / 23896036
Work - Specialist in Alternator and Starter Motor ,also have bosch and Lucas horn range, good quality relay, really skilled and XP labour.

I was there since 9am and reached home at 7pm.
Got the following additional things done
Better relay (thicker wire) for headlamp
Lucas Twin Horn (premium car like sound) while keeping the stock horn (toggling btw them by a switch)
Replaced the rooflamp switch (Hyundai always replaces it @1300bucks)
And a couple of fuses

Alternator repair took the most time because the Alternator (make Velco) is rare since mine is Koran make and imported (along with the engine ofcourse) and even in aftermaket their parts are rare to find and buy (if you don't get in Opera House then almost no other aftermaket place in India might have it).

Also removing the alternator is a headache in i20 D since there is hardly any pace to dissemble and remove it. In petrol i20 anyone car remove it though with basic tools. Got the pulley and the alternator cut-out replaced but still there was an error since alternator had lesser resistance across the ECM so a light bulb was added to correct it. (The pulley was damaged as it was moving with clock and anti-clockwise hence cooked the airbag control module). I have uploaded the bill for the above things below and ask me any question.

Also they have given me a 4 months warranty on the repairs and many people vouch for their work (know people who have serviced from him). The cost may seem expensive but even in aftermarket the alternator costs 22-24k (HASS had it for 30k).

Alternator opened
Posted Image

Bill
Posted Image

Alternator cut-out
Posted Image

Another angle
Posted Image

New Pulley
Posted Image

Installing Horn and relay
Posted Image

Horn relay
Posted Image

Routing the wire
Posted Image

Headlamp relay
Posted Image

Edited by rssh, 21 October 2013 - 10:00 PM.

i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

rssh
  • rssh
  • Special License

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Changed 4 tyres yesterday in OE spec to Yokohama Earth 1 @ 36k kms. First impression is good but I will run them atleast 3k kms for definitive verdict.

Apollo OE stock tyres were manufactured in 2909 (i.e. 29 week of 2009) but 2 tyres had severe puncture in them and constantly lost air pressure also they were more worn out due to faulty alignment.

Now I had promised myself an upsize to 15 inch alloys and wider tyres 195/55R15 spec atleast but it didn't materialize (damn should have done it after delivery itself). Now dad didn't want to change the OE alloys so I searched the market for 195/60R14 and 205/60R14 tyres but really didn't get many options. I wanted the Bridgestone MY02 205/60R14 but no dealer in Mumbai had them (why put the size on website when you don't even want to release the tyres). So the Michlein XM2 were really expensive for what is a bit more quality rubber @ 6200 a piece. Also yoko dealer had ES100 in 205 and 195 specs but these are performance tyres and will create a racket on cement road and after say 20k kms.

Now in OE spec (185/65R14) Yoko had Earth 1 , C ,S and A drive . I wanted the C drive since it best for known for low noise @4700  but the latest tyres were 0413 and I didn't want tyres more than 6 months old so Earth 1 it was. Also I got free wheels alignment and balancing and black and decker vaccum cleaner (ps if someone is interested in it pm me I haven't broken the seal). Plus they gave in WD40 250 buck can for free and I got my old tyres back and will decide what to do with them.

Apollo really have stiffer sidewall which I could feel when I pressed it uninflated, but the Earth 1 is a bit more softer to press, the softest it ES100 and I fear about tyre bulge on pothole.

The apollo cost @ 4050 and earth 1 @ 4400
Posted Image

Edited by rssh, 23 November 2013 - 11:43 AM.

i20 CRDi ASTA

Red Bull Racing - Vettel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users