*** Please Update your Email Account ! ***

2nd Tyre Upgrade for Alto LXi

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

dr_nishu
  • dr_nishu
  • Special License

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

At present my Alto LXi 2005 have clocked around 90k kms & time has arrived to upgrade its Set of tyres for the second time.

At the time of purchase she came with all 145/80 R12 MRF ZVTS tyres & they lasted really long for 60k kms, even precisely speaking its Set of front tyres was replaced at 60k kms while the Rear ones were replaced at 65k kms, all with Bridgestone Turanza tyres of same size.

Two of them are worn out to the max & now I'm planning to replace them again & would like to Install them at the front.

Now the query is that for which Brand I'd go !!

Bridgestone or MRF or JK-tyres or Goodyear.

Problem with MRF was that they're having very Hard Rubber  compound, so both Ride & Road Grip suffers alot.

On the other hand Bridgestones are more grippy but again their longevitiy suffered(as they lasted 30k kms only) due to relatively Softer compound & our All-types of Road usage.

& due to the latter reason, I've excluded Michelins or Yokohamas.

So friends suggest me the better Tyre brand for my Alto.
THE DOCTOR

Durango Dude
  • Durango Dude
  • Instructor License

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

If you are going for a new hatch don't change the tyres. If not can go for Bridgestone or MRF which last really long on Indian roads and go for stock size.
Durango Dude

sb-alto
  • sb-alto
  • Special License

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Frankly, getting two more turanza will give the best ride handling combo, but since the car is already on two soft compound tyres, the next set should be anything soft. MRF and JK should be best avoided.
Secondly if you do not wish to keep the car for long, then goodyear ducaro himiler or apollo amazer 3G maxx makes the most sense as they are soft, yet a bit cheap compared to michelins and all. Goodyear has a reputation of early punctures and sidewall cuts. But not all are that unlucky.

DRIVE SAFE and DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

2004 alto F8D

dr_nishu
  • dr_nishu
  • Special License

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

@DD & sb;

As of now I've No plans of selling my Alto.

Instead will keep the latter one for City use while another one will be mixed usage.

So, Out of Appolo Amazer & Bridgestone, which one will suit our usage in the best way.

THE DOCTOR

sb-alto
  • sb-alto
  • Special License

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

Firstly, apollo amazer and amazer 3G maxx are different. Normal amazer is a tubed tyre. Check the apollo website. You will understand about the three different amazers.

See, bridgestone turanza will make all four tyres same. Rotation per 5000km will make wear and tear steady. So if the previous turanza had no trouble and if you do not want to compromise on price, then getting two more turanza is the best.
In case you want to try something different, you can go for amazer 3G maxx. They are good tyres.

2004 alto F8D

Apple1582
  • Apple1582
  • Learner License
  • PipPip

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

you might have bought the tyres by now  i am just giving my opinion here

I have used Bridgestone G3 Potenza (165/60 R12) on my Mauti 800. It lasted for 55k km and recently i replaced the front tyres with Yokohama A539 (165/60 R12) the only reason i opted  for yokohama was, i could not find potenza g3 R12's in Kerala and its not avilable even now. I was only able  to find 2  YokoR12's.

G3 - sporty ride, extremely silent andd comfortable

Yoko  -  ride quality isn't that  good, noise especially at high  speeds and its  too soft  so wont last  longer

Turenza -   i find Potenza is way quiter than Turanza.

Coming to your question

since you are changing the  front tyres  only go for turanza itself. If you change all the tyres go for 165/60R12  Potenza G3.

dr_nishu
  • dr_nishu
  • Special License

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Apple.

Still I haven't replaced the tyres of my Alto yet but I'm planning it in a day or so.

Will most probably be going for the same 145/80-R12 Bridgestone TURANZAs or rarely for MRFs, as recently I got the info that MRF tyres are more improved now & are made up of much Softer Rubber compound as previously.

But all that depends on the Final judgement going to happen at Tyre shop.
THE DOCTOR

creativebala
  • creativebala
  • Special License

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

sorry to hijack your thread,
do kindly suggest me a cheap yet good tyres for my Swift.
Suggest me which 165 brand tyre and what could be possible price.

another choice is, will i be able to get a 15" steel wheel( what could be possible price) and buy good tyre on 185/195, so that I can change to alloy layer.

PS- Does Alloys looks very bad on 165 tyres?

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new - AE

TSiVipul
  • TSiVipul
  • Advanced License

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

@Dr Nishu & Creativebala:

For both of you people,what I have is the Bridgestone Turanzas,why?

These are great soft rubber(I mean softer than others)compound tyres which offer plenty of grip and without any compromise on FE,also their life is really good(although very less than their hard rubbered siblings).

Creativebala,here in Meerut I have seen many cars,especially Swifts installed with 195/65  R15 spec tyres.

You may need to spare something about 4.5-6.5k per peice for some really good alloys of 15" size.While tyres you can get of Bridgestone,Apollo aceleres or something goodyear,all work quite well.Actually 195/65 R15 is available with all and they work really well on small cars(minimum 80 bhp) or entry lever sedans.

So you get it for about 4000 per tyre+4500 per rim=about 8500 per set for some really great products.TSiVipul2011-10-29 09:56:12
Sanity calms but MADNESS IS QUITE INTERESTING...

Everything visible is for sale,only buyer and price need to be right.

sb-alto
  • sb-alto
  • Special License

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

@bala:
Frankly, I would suggest you to stay away from an up size. Little experiences made me realize that sometimes better rubber is better than upsize. Tyre compound plays an important role too. Try Goodyear Duraplus or Michelin XM1+ in 165/80 size only. Per tyre cost will be just less than Rs3000.
I have heard good things about duraplus, else you have trusted michelins.

You can also try out MRF ZLO. The new ones claim better grip and available in 165/80 R14. If rims are old, sand it, reshape the dents and repaint.

And negative for a 195 upsize. Petrol is costly, save it. You dont do 150kmph+ often, do you ?

sb-alto2011-10-29 14:20:13

2004 alto F8D

dr_nishu
  • dr_nishu
  • Special License

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Got set of CEAT Milaze 145/80 R12 tyres for my Alto LXi.

Grip levels are same as Bridgestones & are not as softer as the latter.

FE & steering response same as previous Bridgestones.

Also alongwith it was installed AMARON GO 38AH battery in it, with 18months Replacement Guarantee + 18months Warranty.

As previous stock Exide battery gave away 15 months after its purchase & then AMARON GO(with 18 months warranty) served till last week.dr_nishu2011-11-14 18:54:48
THE DOCTOR

creativebala
  • creativebala
  • Special License

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

Today, I am planning for shoe upgrade. None of the biggies sans bridgestone has 165 shoes. So should I buy this or upgrade to 185.

How much drop in FE will I face if I upgrade to 185?

Sstar
  • Sstar
  • Advanced License

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

Got set of CEAT Milaze 145/80 R12 tyres for my Alto LXi. 

Grip levels are same as Bridgestones & are not as softer as the latter.
FE & steering response same as previous Bridgestones.

Also alongwith it was installed AMARON GO 38AH battery in it, with 18months Replacement Guarantee + 18months Warranty.
As previous stock Exide battery gave away 15 months after its purchase & then AMARON GO(with 18 months warranty) served till last week.

@ nishu: what price did you pay for above mentioned tyres? And what would you suggest for Maruti 800 which has clocked just 20000 KM (a 2007 model).

dr_nishu
  • dr_nishu
  • Special License

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

what price did you pay for above mentioned tyres? And what would you suggest for Maruti 800 which has clocked just 20000 KM (a 2007 model).

IMHO & from my experience, Maruti 800 tyres can easily last 35-40k kms, given car condition, alignment are in proper order.

But if its tyres are more than 3-4 years old, then it does makes a sense for replacement.

We've kept Maruti800 for around 9-10years & IIRC, we've installed 3 set(set of 4) of tyres on it -1 of MRF & 2 of Bridgestone.

From that experience, Bridgestones in the MS800 worked best with delivering best Roadgrip & Fuel efficiency.

Recently adopted CEAT also seems to be good.

So, either go for Bridgestone or CEAT or another last but not the best option is Appolo.

But go for Tubeless, only if its rims are Rust-free, else opt for cheaper Tube type ones.
THE DOCTOR

Sstar
  • Sstar
  • Advanced License

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Nishu: My car does have thread in her tyres but since it is 4+ year old and tyres are now more stiff then before hence tyre noise is high.

Currently, it is running on stock set of Apollo amazer and my car is 18867 KM till now. Single owner :)
Sstar2011-11-15 09:54:04

dr_nishu
  • dr_nishu
  • Special License

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

My car does have thread in her tyres but since it is 4+ year old and tyres are now more stiff then before hence tyre noise is high.

Currently, it is running on stock set of Apollo amazer and my car is 18867 KM till now. Single owner :)

Then Switch to Bridgestones & feel the difference.

Since you drive less, the latter will remain the best bet for you as CEAT, MRF are still harder than it.

So, for less usage/year, Bridgestone come out to be the best.

THE DOCTOR

Sstar
  • Sstar
  • Advanced License

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

My car does have thread in her tyres but since it is 4+ year old and tyres are now more stiff then before hence tyre noise is high.

Then Switch to Bridgestones & feel the difference.
Since you drive less, the latter will remain the best bet for you as CEAT, MRF are still harder than it.
So, for less usage/year, Bridgestone come out to be the best.

Any specific size/model/type?

creativebala
  • creativebala
  • Special License

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Today, I am planning for shoe upgrade. None of the biggies sans bridgestone has 165 shoes. So should I buy this or upgrade to 185.

How much drop in FE will I face if I upgrade to 185?

Any views from experts, I am postponing my purchase due to no clear idea, plz help ASAP.

fyi- mine is a vxi

sb-alto
  • sb-alto
  • Special License

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

@Bala :

Negative for 185 since your car is petrol. I know that 185 provides better grip, better handling and all, still I prefer 165 with better quality rubber.

Try Goodyear Duraplus. Heard good about it.

2004 alto F8D

banadictaustin
  • banadictaustin
  • Intermediate License

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

I would say if your car tyres are excellent enough to last another 5k KMS then keep them. Upsizing probably won't be a issue if it is done sensibly and the appropriate size is chosen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users