sachins

Torque Pro (OBD2 and Car)

12 posts in this topic

I came across an article related to car owners who are interested in knowing how their car is performing in real time.

There is a hassle free solution available to achieve this.

Note: This Works on any vehicle that uses the OBD 2 standard (most vehicles built after 2000).

Check with your manufacturer first or look for 'OBD2' on written on a big white label in your engine bay

What all is needed:

1) ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth Diagnostic Adapter (this might cost around INR 2200, available online on sites like ebay)

2) An Android Phone (Don't know if other mobile OS like Symbian. Windows, iOS etc works or not)

3) Torque Pro Android app (Costs INR 250, there might be other cheaper apps available as well)

Steps to be followed:

1. Connect the OBD2 Bluetooth adapter to your car's OBD port

OBD port is normally found just below the steering in dashboard on right hand side

2. Pair your android mobile to the OBD2 bluetooth adapter (try pin - 0000 or 1234)

3. Start your car's engine, open torquepro app & wait for a few seconds for the connection to complete

You will notice that various info (like HP, Torque, Rev meter, coolant temperature, mileage, fault codes, etc) gets available once the connection is made.

This will also act as heads up display / HUD mode for night time driving

Link to download the Torque Pro app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

I am planning to try this on my Etios which is OBD2 compliant.

This is interesting. for sure. Never heard of this before.

@sachins: If you are trying this on your car do post a detailed report of the same in this thread. Would make for a good read for sure

@PrancingHorse: i will surely update this thread once i get this thing going.

The only hindrance seems to be purchase of OBD2 adapter as month end is approaching :D

@CarCrazyASTL: price of OBD2 adapter is around INR 2100-2200. There are more expensive ones also in the market.

These adapter sellers also provide CDs pre-loaded with Torque Pro and other android app and drivers.

There are many available online on ebay, link to one such adapter is below:

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170975480724&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:IN:1123#ht_3567wt_1139

@CarCrazyASTL: price of OBD2 adapter is around INR 2100-2200. There are more expensive ones also in the market.

These adapter sellers also provide CDs pre-loaded with Torque Pro and other android app and drivers.

There are many available online on ebay, link to one such adapter is below:

http://cgi.ebay.in/w...#ht_3567wt_1139

Thanks for the info! :)

@sachins: Do you know how to check whether a M800 2007 and Ritz DDiS 2012 is OBD2 compliant or not?

Can you share some steps please?

Edited by Sstar

@Sstar: You can check under the hood of your car if there is any label which states that the vehicle was designed to be OBD2 compliant.

Unfortunately, what i understand after surfing on this topic is that apart from US where law has mandated vehicles to be OBD2 compliant for 1996 onwards or may be earlier also, there is no standard rule followed.

In India, most of the vehicles manufactured after 2005 should be OBD2 compliant. I cross checked with an ebay seller on this and he also informed the same.

However, when in doubt, always check with in manual or the dealer/service station to confirm on this.

Also, how OBD2 has been implemented by a manufacturer is not standard. Some follow their own protocols and hence information from such interface can be diagnosed by their specific scanners which are available in service stations.

For example, i was amused to read somewhere that the amount of information that is exposed by an OBD2 interface in an Innova is far lesser than what is available on Etios. So this means that any open (non Toyota proprietary) scanning tool/application will be able to extract much more info from an Etios OBD2 interface than an Innova.

@sachins: Do you know how to check whether a M800 2007 and Ritz DDiS 2012 is OBD2 compliant or not?

Can you share some steps please?

I think your Ritz may have it, but 2007 M800 Surely doesn't have it!

On the same day, that this thread started I saw new MS WaganR's add in newspaper & It was included in main features that it's OBD2 compatible! So, don't be surpriced, if you found it absent in your Ritz! Actually,OBD2 compatible ECU's costs almost twice than normal one!

On 27/07/2017 at 7:20 PM, Dzenko said:

Where can I buy online?

You can buy online from Amazon or similar sites.

They are now available from Rs 500 onward