PrancingHorse

SCOOP PIC !! Jeep Grand Cherokee & Wrangler spied in India

18 posts in this topic

It was announced in December that Chrysler will be entering India with the Jeep brand. And now here we have a scoop picture of the Jeep models which are slated to be launched in India. This pic was taken by an Autocar India reader.

post-7692-0-14294800-1360567452.jpg

The first Jeep product to hit our shores will be the iconic Wrangler. The Jeep Wrangler made its debut in 1987 as the successor to the famous World War II Jeep, also known as Willys CJ (Civilian Jeep). The latest-generation Wrangler (code: JK), like the original CJ, uses front and rear live-axles. Fiat is testing the short as well as the long wheelbase versions, and is likely to launch both in India. The Jeep Wrangler arriving here is expected to be powered by a 2.8-litre common-rail diesel engine that’s good for 197bhp.

The next Jeep model seen in the spy picture is the Grand Cherokee. Codenamed WK2, this is the fourth-gen Grand Cherokee, powered by a 3.0-litre common-rail diesel that makes 237bhp and is a proper luxury SUV. The Grand Cherokee was recently given a facelift that included some cosmetic as well as mechanical upgrades such as an 8-speed gearbox. Although this looks like the pre-facelift version, we expect Jeep to launch the updated model in India. The Grand Cherokee is based on the Mercedes-Benz M-class – it is thoroughly modern and promises to offer superb off-road ability with plush, comfortable interiors.

Initially, both the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee will be offered as CBUs.

Chrysler has already set up an R&D centre in Chennai that houses about 1,000 employees and is the third-largest Chrysler R&D facility worldwide.

Line-up looks impressive considering our (Indians) appetite for the SUVs / UVs.

People who are looking for something new will definitely opt for these vehicles.

Good hard core SUVs...but it would be more happening if they would have started assembling them in Pune based FIAT plant (if I am not wrong it is part of FIAT group)

I don't know about Grand Cherokee, but both this wranglers are going to be a huge hit! In India, there is no SUV which can be compared with wranglers! Hope this will bring the next gen LR Defender little bit early! But Jeep's reflections will be definetly projected on LR's sales figures or atleast on price list!

I saw the second car(the white one, the two door) in Pune with MH.14 reg number. Is it CJ? Is it launched?

Did you manage to get any pictures?

Nope.. As it was registered with MH.14 number I didn't think it may be a scoop story.

Some more shots of the Jeep Cherokee and the Wrangler spotted in Mumbai. They are registered with MH12 plates which stands for Pune. The launch is slated to take place later this year during the festive season

post-7692-0-76958800-1372659731.jpgpost-7692-0-51140600-1372659734.jpgpost-7692-0-75584100-1372659738.jpgpost-7692-0-88624600-1372659742.jpg

Images source: CarDekho

Nice catch that one. I still liked the pre-facelift look for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. New one looks a bit too sharp.

Jeep., hope the legacy repeats in our Market, wish all the very Best for JEEP, for re-entry in our Indian market..

im soo excited about Grand Cherokee..!!