• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

PrancingHorse
  • PrancingHorse
  • Moderators
  • LocationMumbai

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

amby2.jpg

The Ambassador refuses to die and next year it will be back in a new avtaar as a hatchback. Buoyed by recent sales growth, the C K Birla group company has taken up an ambitious project to introduce the hatchback Ambassador by the end of 2013-14.

"We have just started the R&D (research and development) work. This hatchback version of the Ambassador will have all kinds of features and better interior, which a new-age customer looks for," Uttam Bose, managing director and chief executive officer of HM, told Business standard.

The car, which is at the "designing stage", will be built on the existing Ambassador platform at its Uttarpara plant. "The brand name Ambassador will be used for the car. There may or may not be a sub-brand," Bose said.

Before that, in the second quarter of the next financial year, HM will introduce a sub-four metre Ambassador. "In the coming June, we will launch the BS IV-compliant diesel variant of the Ambassador. This will be a replica of the existing model Ambassador, just changing the engine,” he said.

At present, the Ambassador has BS-III emission norms-compliant diesel engine. The company is still selling these models in Kolkata, the biggest market for the Ambassador cars, as the state government has exempted the model from BS-IV norms, for now.

News Source: Business Standard

librankur
  • librankur
  • Recognised Contributor

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Ours is an Ambassador crazy nation , recently i heard that a lot of govt officials had refused luxury cars and had instead opted for the Trusted Amby as their official vehicle.

The company also looked overjoyed when they got an order for over 500 vehicles from the Govt.

Also if you looks at the vehicles of the Diplomatic Community , they also seem to fancy these Cars , you might have also seen Ambies with the CD number plate ,these Embassy officials can have any car in the world ,they can even import the best cars from their homeland without paying a single Rupee and still they choose the Amby.

i guess the Power that it brings to the Powerfull make it a hands down winner.

I have never met a car that i did not like.

Aditya
  • Aditya
  • Learner License
  • PipPip
  • LocationMumbai

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

I think they are just destroying whatever love people had for the Amby. If they want to introduce a hatchback, a new car on a totally modern platform is what they should build. An Ambassador hatchback will just not be able to handle the fierce modern competition. Of late the only "new" Ambassadors I've seen are some Kolkata cabs - no private car. Haven't seen a new Amby in Mumbai in ages. Even the Govt. babus are going for other cars - Indigo, SX4, etc.
Regarding the sub-4m Amby, I guess it's going to be a reincarnation of the old Landmaster.

sibasis_FIAT
  • sibasis_FIAT
  • Learner License
  • LocationBhubaneswar

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

Just by launching the same old trustworthy amby, the company can think of doing a little bit of cosmetic makeover. Use of some plastic material for cladding  and grille, good set of alloys, a little flat bonnet, clear lens lamps etc can bring some visual appeal. Letz see how Hindustan Motors will restore the legacy of Ambassadors.

Sstar
  • Sstar
  • Advanced License

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Also the promise from HM is that it is going to be a fresh car from interior point of which will make the hatch more appealing to mass.

However, only God would know "How appealing that could be?" :)

CarCrazyASTL
  • CarCrazyASTL
  • Advanced License
  • LocationManmad

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Amby hatch with all modern amenities would be a real cool thing!
Imagine you are in a white chauffeur driven amby hatch; even I20, swift or polo can't beat it as a office car!

Posted Image Posted Image  Be Yourself! Posted Image Posted Image

dr_nishu
  • dr_nishu
  • Special License

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Considering the legacy which Amby is having in the minds of India, its hatchback will born with inherited advantage of it.
If appointed genuinely & greatly by HM India, this car can prove curvy Swift, i20 hatchbacks shy by its bulgy 'TRUE CURVES'.
But still it'll be interesting to see the hatchback with ladder-frame chassis.
THE DOCTOR

tejasmehta990
  • tejasmehta990
  • Advanced License

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

From the spy shots it looks like very few efforts are taken to improve overall feel of the car.

Amby still comes with cheap quality materials which makes it undesirable even though it is offering best in class interior space and comfort, reliable diesel engine, ability to handle rough roads and having a proper size to be a city car as well as highway cruiser. Also the Retro look of Amby is an advantage among the other diesel sedans.  

Even if some quality issues are answered Amby can became best low cost diesel sedan among other diesels available.

Instead of spending lakhs of rupees on developing a hatch HM should try to improve overall quality of the existing vehicle to cash on real advantages of Amby.

CarCrazyASTL
  • CarCrazyASTL
  • Advanced License
  • LocationManmad

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

View Posttejasmehta990, on 25 March 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

From the spy shots it looks like very few efforts are taken to improve overall feel of the car.

Amby still comes with cheap quality materials which makes it undesirable even though it is offering best in class interior space and comfort, reliable diesel engine, ability to handle rough roads and having a proper size to be a city car as well as highway cruiser. Also the Retro look of Amby is an advantage among the other diesel sedans.  

Even if some quality issues are answered Amby can became best low cost diesel sedan among other diesels available.

Instead of spending lakhs of rupees on developing a hatch HM should try to improve overall quality of the existing vehicle to cash on real advantages of Amby.
That's also true!

Posted Image Posted Image  Be Yourself! Posted Image Posted Image

Amish993
  • Amish993
  • Learner License
  • LocationDombivli

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Amby with chopped boot and hatch aint gonna appeal as the current one does, the design would look too odd with front pouting out and the rear ending abrutly. Better they bring CS at cut throat price to make it appealing in rural areas where currently the Amby in standard Avigo guise proves costly.

Amish993
  • Amish993
  • Learner License
  • LocationDombivli

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Renders are by me, as I was saying that the hatch would look bad owning to bulbous front.

PrancingHorse
  • PrancingHorse
  • Moderators
  • LocationMumbai

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

The sub 4 metre Amby will be launched next year according to a report in the TOI today

Hindustan Motors will launch a smaller version of the Ambassador with a host of new features and in a year's time, a new-look car will roll out of the company's Uttarpara plant.

Uttam Bose, the new CEO of the C K Birla group's flagship Hindustan Motors, said the boot space of the new variant will be reduced but not the cabin space. The length of the car will thus be shorter and since it will be less than 4 metres, it will attract lower excise duty and will thus be cheaper. However, it will not fall in the hatchback category.

As for the new model that'll be launched next March, Bose is understandably reluctant to divulge much. "The new model will be on the existing platform, but will have many new and advanced features that exist in other automobiles. It will have some prefix or suffix to the 'Ambassador' brand and will sport a peppy and youthful look. It will also have new features sought by young and modern customers and will be competitively priced, offering ideal value for money," Bose added.

Full Article here : Amby returns

NAGIAMRIT
  • NAGIAMRIT
  • Unlicensed
  • PipPip

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Ambassador since long time has been an iconic figure. It may be the black one that are driven by top defense officials or the white one driven by the top govt. officials and bureaucrats, it makes a different style statement while running on the roads !!
Comparing Amby with other luxurious car is not a good option. Amby is total differenct segment car, the one that comes with a pride and prestige that one owns in the society. Chaueffeur driven Amby is something that cant be compared with other luxurious varients !!!
Since the new of launch of Amby hatchback is difficult to digest. If it would have been on totally new platform then atleast we can expect something new coming in the market but since the car is going to be developed on the same platform, cant imagine what impact it is going to create on the hatchback segment.

Hindustan Motors should go for R&D of developing the existing model with somewhat uplift interiors. Since the other car makers have done the same with their iconic models and have made a good impact in the market.
On an whole the image that Amby possess in the market cant be experimented with launching of such hatchbacks !!!! :huh:

librankur
  • librankur
  • Recognised Contributor

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Just got a email from a friend of mine about launch of a new Ambassador  which is  a BS 4 compliant variant .Its not a hatch though , he says its called Encore now.

@ moderator
kindly confirm this news and treat post accordingly.

I have never met a car that i did not like.

Also tagged with Ambassador, HM, hatch, 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users