sudeepd

Queries of Tata Indigo LS & Indigo XL

My queries=>

1.I own a Tata Indigo LS model May 2004 which has covered 1,42,549kms.

The problem is that the reverse gear does not engage.i.e., I am not able to shift the car in the reverse gear. All other (forward gears) engage with my "little finger". But the reverse gear does not engage even with all fingers brought together. I tried moving the vehicle slightly forward to free up the teeth of the gearbox (which happens mostly in Indian cars). But still the problem persists.

Even I checked oil level. There is sufficient oil (3.3 liters as recommended by TATA Motors).

I use MAK spirol EP 90. A local mechanic advised me to use some TQ oil for gearbox. He said the TQ oil is specially for 5-speed gearbox.

But I don't think it is the problem with gear oil as all forward gears engage even with my "little finger".Please tell me what should I do?

2.Second query is about our another Tata Indigo XL Grand Dicor model May 2007 which has covered 30,175kms.

The alternator belt makes noise everytime the car is started when engine is cold and goes off after around 20-30 seconds. This noise started coming from 18,245kms. I replaced the belt twice - 1st at 18,245kms and 2nd at around 24,467kms. Still the noise comes when the engine is started when it is cold. Please tell me what is problem?

the safety lock gear of the reverse might have broken .Hope you didn't shift into reverse when car was moving forward . About alternater belt thing I think that you check the stress level of it .Don't know much about a diesel.

About the reverse gear. Since when has that problem been noticed? Also try the following:

When reverse gear doesn't engage, take your foot off the clutch and press it again and then try. Generally only the forward gears are synchronised and the reverse isn't that is why sometimes the reverse is a little harder to engage.

By the way your indigo has run quite a bit, when did you change the clutch.

About your query on the XL, it is another known problem, all you need to do is get the belt tightened a bit, it seems to be slipping when its cold. Ensure you don't over tighten it.

FRG

About the reverse gear. Since when has that problem been noticed? Also try the following:

When reverse gear doesn't engage' date=' take your foot off the clutch and press it again and then try. Generally only the forward gears are synchronised and the reverse isn't that is why sometimes the reverse is a little harder to engage.

By the way your indigo has run quite a bit, when did you change the clutch.

About your query on the XL, it is another known problem, all you need to do is get the belt tightened a bit, it seems to be slipping when its cold. Ensure you don't over tighten it.

FRG
[/quote']

FRG, u said "When reverse gear doesn't engage, take your foot off the clutch and press it again and then try". I do this whenever the reverse doesn't engage easily in the very 1st attempt. Infact, in such situations I shift to 1st, drive a little forward, and then again try to shift to reverse. But still the reverse doesn't engage.

Also I dont think the clutch has problem as I am able to shift all the forward gears even with my "Little Finger".

As for XL's alternator belt, the supervisor at TASS said that the belt has been tightened to recommended range. He even said that we will replace the belt tensioner and check whether the noise goes or not. But brand new tensioner is not available in that TASS. He also said that even Tata Motors is facing shortage of the belt tensioner.

What should I do?

Hi again,

I will express in other words--

While shifting to reverse, I am able to pull the lever to extreme right, but am not able to pull backwards fully.i.e., the lever locks halfway while pulling back after pulling to extreme right. Hope all get this correct.

1.Is it necessary to overhaul the clutch if only gearbox is to be opened for repairs?

2.One of my friends is taking training in the TASS, told me that the gears are lubricated with grease when the car is being manufactured. He said maybe the reverse gear is lacking grease. So if the reverse gear is applied grease again, the reverse gear can be shifted with ease.

3. I dont to overhaul the clutch because the clutch is still in good condition as the car returns 15+ KMPL in city and also the pickup is good.

PLEASE ANSWER MY ALL THREE QUERIES.

Bye.

1. No its not necessary. If you think your clutch is fine then it doesn't need to be looked at.

2. That's right, I had a similar problem on the Accent, was sorted by greasing.

3. That's good, but having seen the amount of kilometres your car has covered, its surprising that clutch has lasted so long.

FRG