Cupid007

Polo GT TSI vs GT TDI

Guys, I'm amid one of the biggest dilemmas in my life. I'm unable to decide between Polo GT TSI and the Polo GT TDI. Here are my struggling thoughts:

Had a Test drive on the GT TSI and the auto DSG gearbox is absolutely delightful and fun to drive, but worried about the sub-par 12-13 city petrol consumption !

Had a Test drive on the regular Polo 1.2 diesel (not the GT TDI) and while the engine is decent, I didn't quite feel it amazing when compared to GT TSI. (Even the I20 1.4 diesel felt much smoother).

Now my question is will the GT TDI, with it's much advanced 1.6 diesel engine (the one in the Vento 1.6 diesel model), be significantly better than the 1.2 diesel variant and comparable to the GT TSI's performance and fun? If Yes, then I can stick to GT TDI, as I'm a bit concerned about the fuel efficiency as well. If No, then TSI is the one for me.

If anyone has driving experience on the Vento or Polo in general, please help me to decide !

I think the GT TDI will give u better FE than the GT TSI because its a diesel engine. And regarding performance, Its better in the GT TSI and its ease of shifting gears is a joy. I suggest you to stick to the GT TSI if you want performance and decent FE rather than TDI. And if FE is a concern for you then 1.2 should be ideal rather than TDI. I won't recommend you the TDI because its performance is poor though it will return better FE than the TSI or 1.2 diesel. Hope i helped :)

See, only BHP doesn't matter, torque is the one who will push you in the seats. VW priced GT TDi and GT TSi same. As driving enthusiast i will choose the Manual transmission rather than the DSG. TDi is also cheaper to run. So if u want to go for polo, you should go for GT TDi. GT TDi is more powerful, torquey and fuel efficient than TSi. And don't go for auto transmission if u love driving

I think the GT TDI will give u better FE than the GT TSI because its a diesel engine. And regarding performance, Its better in the GT TSI and its ease of shifting gears is a joy. I suggest you to stick to the GT TSI if you want performance and decent FE rather than TDI. And if FE is a concern for you then 1.2 should be ideal rather than TDI. I won't recommend you the TDI because its performance is poor though it will return better FE than the TSI or 1.2 diesel. Hope i helped :)

Thansk Ixtreme, I really liked the TSI but the FE is a very low 11, based on the reviews. And in my TD with 1.2, I was not totally impressed. So, planning to go for TDI as it has better performance, torque distribution and a decent FE!

See, only BHP doesn't matter, torque is the one who will push you in the seats. VW priced GT TDi and GT TSi same. As driving enthusiast i will choose the Manual transmission rather than the DSG. TDi is also cheaper to run. So if u want to go for polo, you should go for GT TDi. GT TDi is more powerful, torquey and fuel efficient than TSi. And don't go for auto transmission if u love driving

Thanks Prashanttroxx. Yes, you are correct and eventually, manual transmission gives more control and the real sense of driving. I will plan for GT TDI. But, there is an another great alternative, Honda Amaze with its 1.5 brand new Diesel engine, with most FE than any car. It has great outer looks but the dashboard and internals not at all catchy. Also, people complained about the constant noise and the engine vibrations creeping into the cabin. Do you think it is a better option overall when compared to GT TDI, when the FE is kept aside?

Unlike you said, GT TDI's fuel efficiency will be less than the 1.2 diesel but it is a highly superior engine compared to the 1.2 diesel. The TDI engine has always been a sprightly performer in the Vento and i reckon it will do even better in the Polo. It's got a good dose of torque and although the motor will not be as refined and creamy as the 1.2 GT TSI, it will be a good balance of fuel efficiency and performance for you. So, i think you should go for the GT TDI.

Go for the GT TDi just because I don't trust DSGs and if you want long term ownership then do take extended warrenty because even for DSG problem (like mechatronix faliure) it will cost 1 lakhs + to replace the GB. If its a short term ownership then the GT TSi makes sense but German petrol never have good resale values.

Undoubtedly it has to be GT TDi.

1.6 TDi in Vento is known for refinement, strong acceleration(sub 12secs for 0-100kmph run) & fuel efficiency, mostly around 18-22kmpl which can be easily achieved with good driving style.

So, i expect Polo GT TDi to also be a good performer like its bigger sibling.

I'm sure, 4-cylinder 1.6 TDi engine will be twice more better & reliable than smaller 3-cyl puny 1.2 TDi engine.

Yes, go for the TDI. I was in a bit of confusion so, I had posted something wrong in my earlier post of this thread. But after seeing the review of TDI. I found its more torque and its superb blend of performance is a lot better than the 1.2. So go for the TDI. Do post a review after buying. :D

I have been using the GT TDI for the past 3 weeks and has been an excellent car in terms of power delivery,fuel consumption and interior comfort.I did not choose TSI because of the DSG'S longterm reliability concern that too in an extreme environment like Mumbai.And I think one gets bored of an automatic car very soon.The only thing I did not like in the car was the engine noise and clutch vibration as reported in most of the reviews online.But no car is 100 percent perfect..

Though its expensive once you sit inside you will know that this car is going to last forever.And with the long service intervals I feel it will be less troublesome than most of the other ones.

Thought I should put down a few things here for the confused public..Drive safe !

I have been using the GT TDI for the past 3 weeks and has been an excellent car in terms of power delivery,fuel consumption and interior comfort.I did not choose TSI because of the DSG'S longterm reliability concern that too in an extreme environment like Mumbai.And I think one gets bored of an automatic car very soon.The only thing I did not like in the car was the engine noise and clutch vibration as reported in most of the reviews online.But no car is 100 percent perfect..

Though its expensive once you sit inside you will know that this car is going to last forever.And with the long service intervals I feel it will be less troublesome than most of the other ones.

Thought I should put down a few things here for the confused public..Drive safe !

What about posting an ownership review of your GT TDI? :D

congrats! do post your ownership review of your car :D