Sign in to follow this  
antonykf

Opel Corsa 1.4 GLS 2001 model suddenly stopped in middle of the road

I was travelling back from my cousins place in seawoods, navi mumbai with my family. Suddenly the car stopped at Sanpada signal on palm beach road. Got a bit scared as it is the busiest road. Tried cranking few times. No joy. Finally called up my cousin who owns a garage in Seawoods. His guy came in 30 minutes and helped to pull the car off road. Also came a Traffic policeman and fined me 100/- for blocking the traffic.

The mechanic checked the fuel supply, battery and other basics as it was getting dark. No issue found. I asked him to tow the car to garage the next day and update me. I caught a cab and came back to mira road.

Next day i received a call from my cousins garage. To my shock the timing belt was broken. He replaced that but the engine wouldn't start. Further checks confirmed that the engine head is also broken. I called up my regular part suppliers in Opera House and Kurla CST Road to enquire about the charge for a new and used engine head. For a new one it will cost me 10,000/- and for used one it is 4,000/- I was surprised to find that a whole engine will cost me 8,000/- at Kurla. Not sure what to do. Will changing the engine head solve the issue ? Does timing belt, if broken, damage engine head ?

Other issues prior to this incidents were:

1. A strong fuel smell comes intermittently while driving.

2. At times car used to loose power and drag for few seconds and then run normally.

3. In traffic the car temperature used to go above 100 and it used to power off automatically.

4. Headlight bulb keeps blowing up everymonth.

Things which I did to the car recently.

1. Radiator removed and cleaned thoroughly

2. Fuel tank removed and checked for any leaks

3. Alternator serviced and battery charged

Check you alternator pulley also since overcharging can lead to array of problems (I have suffered the same recently). You should change the timing belt exclusive of km's run every 5 years. Also replacing with new parts is good but the cars resale value is very poor but if you are going to keep it for long then invest in it otherwise go for refurbished parts.

This may be the case if the idle of a cold engine start-up is fine but a warm engine idle will surge and then stall, for which you need to change the O2 sensors. This could also be due to Overheating. Or may be your Engine bolts are loose.

Hi Antonykf,

Could you please send me the contact information from where we could get the Engine for 8k?

I had the same problem with timing belt and i am planning to scrap my corsa, if i can get an engine for 8k i will rethink. Thanks much.

Godwin