Sstar

Arctic White Alto 800 Lxi

Recently, we have added another member to our family with a replace of an old one. Earlier we had a 2007 800 AC which was driven just 25400 KM till the date, we exchanged it for new Alto 800 Lxi CNG.

It was a little hurry up in the decision making and was a bit emotional as well because. We haven't had bought any vehicle on Dhanteras day, so this was a major decision making criteria for us to hurry up for this new buy so that we can get the delivery of the vehicle on this auspicious day.

I will be posting a detailed ownership experience and photo on the weekend. Stay tuned.... :)

@PrancingHorse, Prashantroxx

Thanks buddies, I will do this job on this weekend. Diwali break was such a hectic one. I live in Sushant Lok Gurgaon and the dealer was at Iffco Chowk Gurgaon (the distance is just 5 KM) but it took me 1.15 hrs to reach there. And at last we could not reach at the door step of the dealer so parked our old vehicle in the mall just infront of the showroom as it was fully chocked road.

:D

Edited by Sstar

Congratulations sstar for buying the new Alto800.

Since it's a CNG powered, i think it would've costed you around 4 lacs, OTR.

Waiting for its complete set of pics though, complete means with details like engine bay, CNG cylinder placement, boot space, CNG filling port & other details.

My views: Slowly this car has started growing on the minds with time, don't know what designers have though while designing it(positively speaking) but surely this makes clever use of space & power to extract utility & performance+ fuel efficiency respectively.

Atleast, i do like its looks & some design elements like headlamps, front bumper, tail lamps & rear spoiler(VXi) plus its space efficient yet functional dashboard.

Congrats on the purchase! Do write about your buying experience, the car & the deal you got, and your experience driving it till now highlighting pros and cons. One question that I wanted to ask was whether you consider Hyundai EON while making your purchase and what were the key parameters which prompted the decision in favour of an Alto 800? BTW, you just reminded me to post pics of my new drive (Swift) as well which I had completely forgotten. Cheers Bud!

@LeoRahi, bhavneet:

Thank you...!!!

Congratulations sstar for buying the new Alto800.

Since it's a CNG powered, i think it would've costed you around 4 lacs, OTR.

Waiting for its complete set of pics though, complete means with details like engine bay, CNG cylinder placement, boot space, CNG filling port & other details.

My views: Slowly this car has started growing on the minds with time, don't know what designers have though while designing it(positively speaking) but surely this makes clever use of space & power to extract utility & performance+ fuel efficiency respectively.

Atleast, i do like its looks & some design elements like headlamps, front bumper, tail lamps & rear spoiler(VXi) plus its space efficient yet functional dashboard.

Thanks Nishu, yes the OTR GGN is 4.04. As far as, design is concerned, I kind of agree with you that even in my family, no one liked it when this was launched last year but now when it comes to practicality, it is more practical then K10, more efficient and VFM as well.

Many congratulations.

Do tell us about the deal you got

aka

Exchange value for old car

Discount on new

Accessories

Thanks Libran,

I got it OTR 4.04 in GGN

Discount on new = 25000

Old one gone for 90000.

Congrats on the purchase! Do write about your buying experience, the car & the deal you got, and your experience driving it till now highlighting pros and cons. One question that I wanted to ask was whether you consider Hyundai EON while making your purchase and what were the key parameters which prompted the decision in favour of an Alto 800? BTW, you just reminded me to post pics of my new drive (Swift) as well which I had completely forgotten. Cheers Bud!

Thanks buddy, and congrats to you as well. :)

Hearty congratulations Sstar!!

Decision making and financial details, pics and review eagerly awaited!!

Thanks GTO.

Detailed review...Next.

Edited by Sstar

We had 2007 model M800 AC which was bought brand new and was hardly driven till date when we exchanged it for the new Alto 800 Lxi. The M800 was an emotional car especially for me as I drove it in last 6 and half years, including in my college days during MCA when I used to go to South Campus, New Delhi.

When I joined into service sector, this car was serving the purpose of carry me and when I got married – my wife as well. :)

However, slowly the car was though well maintained and done only 25K on ODO – showing sign of age. More importantly, it was not the fact that it was 6+ years old but the fact that these days petrol prices are like Rs. 72+, made us to think for some more economical way. We initially thought to fit CNG but again a retro fit is retro and we had one relative which had bad experience with retro CNG that is why we thought to go for Factory fitted.

Initially, we started searching the market for options, which included Alto Lxi CNG (Vxi does not offer CNG), Alto K10 Vxi, Santro GL Plus (CNG).

Santro was ruled out because Hyundai does not offer factory fitted CNG cars. It is the dealer who fits it for the customer once customer buys the car and pay 62K extra for the CNG kit. Does we ruled it out.

Alto K10 was ruled out because of two reasons – 1) CNG not available, 2) the build and material quality in K10 is not like what you get in Alto 800. I know I may sound like stupid here and how can a cheaper car is built well than expensive one. But is the fact, at least what we experience when we TDed both. For a self-test, just open any door and close it and notice the sound in both the cars. You will get to know.

Finally, the last but I think most VFM option which was left was Alto 800 Lxi CNG which we eventually ended up buying.

Surprisingly, when we went to Rana Motor showroom at Iffco Chowk GGN, we were not frame of mind that we will buy it in 2 days, however, when we got the good offer for our old M800, we decided to crack this offer. As I mentioned in my thread above, we got 90K + 25K as discount it was felt a worthy option to consider.

We collected all papers and pamphlets and came back to home and discussed with ladies (my mother and wife J ). It was also after their consent we went ahead for the purchase.

The next day (29/10), I booked it for 5K and asked for white colour, as it has been very long time ever since we had a white car in the family, last time it was in 1994 when we had a Premier Padmini :) . So white was obvious choice now. So booked a white and finalised the date of delivery to be 1/11 – Dhanteras.

On this day, when we were going to hand over the old one and to get the new one, we were stuck in the jam which was so horrible that to cross 5 KM from my home I took 1.15 Hrs. and that it too, we could not reach to the door step of the dealer and decided to park the old car in the mall which was on our left side and in front of the showroom. There was no chance to take a right turn on M.G.Road. It was so well packed.

Finally, we reached into the showroom did the remaining payment and checked the car, it was parked outside as the dealer had lined up 50 cars which were there to be delivered. So we were not alone :)

We checked it, it was clean in and out, the ODO was showing 20 KM which was a little over for a car which gets manufactured in the MSIL GGN plant, but OK to digest. My father did inspection and my brother as well, while I was looking and verifying papers and other documents.

After 3 hours spending there we took the car on the road. Initially, when the road of jammed, we were thinking to get the petrol in some bottle because dealer provided coupon reimbursement needs the car to be at petrol pump outlet. But road was packed. But to our surprise, the car was having 1Ltr petrol in it, 8 KG CNG and 2 Ltr petrol coupon. So we were sure, we can reach petrol pump easily. uuuuuffffffff….what a heck it was to drive down a new car in fully jammed road. But my father managed. :)

We took the car straight to temple, done the pooja and then took it to home.

Later on, in this week, we accessorised it with followings:

1. Side black strip = 1000 (from Dealer)
  2. Mud flaps = 350 (from dealer)
  3. MGA Mats = 550 (from dealer)
  4. Rubber Mats = 350 (from Reliance AutoZone)
  5. Pioneer Music System CD/USB/AUX/FM with 2 Sony Xplod speakers = 6600 (Reliance AutoZone)
  6. Seat Covers = 1500 (from Karol Bagh, a known shopper to us)
  7. Parcel Tray = 300 (from Karol Bagh, a known shopper to us)
  8. Steering Wrap = 200 (from Karol Bagh, a known shopper to us)
  9. Left ORVM = 450 (from Karol Bagh, a known shopper to us)

Edited by Sstar

Pics...

I took these pics in the office basement parking...so lighting may be low in some pics...will upload more.

Front seats

4kEbDai.jpg

Dashboard

WwEzFhM.jpg

Dashboard & front leg-room

mvMc3BB.jpg

Dashboard, Power Window switches & Storage

rmWLvb6.jpg

Nice pics Sstar. What's that, In the first set of pics, hanging on the steering wheel. Is that a steering to pedal lock???

Yup that looks like a steering to pedal lock to me.

Thank you guys....ya that is steering to brake lock. We had this in our 800 so thought to keep it in the new on as well.

I will be posing more pics and FE figures soon. Hoping to get the first month service even before first month as the car has clocked 600 KM already.

Pick-up and Driving experience so far...

On Driving experience front, this far is smooth when it run on CNG. The NVH levels are also on the lower side. Thought it is entry level hatch but on high speed it sticks to the road though I have not done much highway drive but have done like 10 15 KM on NH8 at 80KMPH. And it is far better than my previous experience. Brakes are on little lighter side, but I think this is due to be corrected in first service.

Pick-up is smooth, it does not run like a petrol one, but it is not slow like previous gen CNG driven car. Specially new gen maruti CNG kit plays here. It is not jerky either. You would feel little low pickup but smoothness and that sudden down in the power is not there anymore with this new kit.

I am getting an FE of approx. 24 KMPK.

@Sstar:

That's quite a neat packaging & installation from Maruti Suzuki.

I see the spare wheel lying in its place below the boot & CNG cylinder of the car. How is it accessible ?

Is the cylinder assembly is foldable as like Rear seat back to access it ?

Please do post the pic of its engine bay, of course taken in daylight.

Many Congratulations buddy .

The FE is mind boggling , close to 3 times what my vehicle does.

Any more accessories you are planning for your new ride , if yes , do let us in .

Edited by librankur

@Sstar:

That's quite a neat packaging & installation from Maruti Suzuki.

I see the spare wheel lying in its place below the boot & CNG cylinder of the car. How is it accessible ?

Is the cylinder assembly is foldable as like Rear seat back to access it ?

Please do post the pic of its engine bay, of course taken in daylight.

Thanks buddy, the spare wheel is just under the CNG cylinder and can be accessed by folding the rear bench. You can not take out spare wheel from boot door as teh cylinder installation is not foldable and it is scewed very well in the body.

And I will surely take some day light pics. :)

Many Congratulations buddy .

The FE is mind boggling , close to 3 times what my vehicle does.

Any more accessories you are planning for your new ride , if yes , do let us in .

Thanks Librankur.

Ya, this is the main reason we did not go for i10 or wagon-r. Because we wanted a fuel churner just for city traffic. And anyone who knows GGN Delhi can tell what is the speed of traffic. Hardly, 40 to 60 KMPH.

Also, I am looking to have perfume and tissue boxes (1 each for front and rear).

Edited by Sstar