Sign in to follow this  
bhavneet

Engine Oil -> Mineral or Synthetic for Swift Diesel (New)

Hey Guys!

This must be a very common question and the web is full of discussions/forums about this topic. But I need your help to give me a convincing solution.

My Swift's 3rd service was done at 9600 Kms. The service advisor at AAA Vehicleads suggested that mineral oil is enough to oil this baby, no need to spend extra amount of cash on synthetic engine oil. My father uses a Skoda in which only Synthetic oil is used. That's roughly 4k for an oil change. Same is the case for Swift, synthetic oil change is approximately in this range, whereas mineral oil change costs approx 900!

I read somewhere that Maruti has passed a circular to all its service stations mandating the use synthetic engine oil in new gen Swift. I don't know the authenticity of this. :wacko:

And I have read on most of these discussions/forums that if you are using mineral oil, it needs to be changed at an interval of 5000 KMs.

And through word of mouth from my friends, mineral oil degrades the engine !

So guys i really need your help in solving this query, i'll be touching 15000 Kms next month.

Should i continue using mineral oil or switch to synthetic ?! This is my 1st diesel car , so requesting help from all diesel fan boys! :D

Mineral oil is good enough for 10 k kms so don't worry thinking about 5k intervals. Maruti nowadays is getting engine from FIAT India directly and they recommend synthetic (its actually semi-synthetic selenia brand one). If you want to put synthetic it will easily last 15k kms which is the service interval of Fiat. I am using Mobil Devlac1 full-synthetic and I change oil @ 15k kms it costs around 3700 buck for 5 litre.

No need to switch to synthetic because mineral oil last for about 10k. And synthetic oil too expensive compared to minerals but it would last for 15k. Another thing, if you are a high speed driver then go for synthetic.

I am using Mobil Devlac1 full-synthetic and I change oil @ 15k kms it costs around 3700 buck for 5 litre.

I too use mobil Devlac full-synthetic. :)

engine oil recommended by the manufacturer and service interval in the owners manual is the best way to go. Now a days the engine oils are far superior hence 10000Km -15000Km service interval. the engine oils used are semi synthetic kind. some engine oils are of higher grades... hence more life and more protection from wear. the benefit is even if u exceed the service interval by 1000km - 2000km, it ll not harm the vehicle.

Sailing in the same boat as me, bhavneet.

My New Swift DZire ZDi initially came with Synthetic engine oil, filled from factory & the car ran super-smooth as like new fluidic Verna CRDi but at 3rd/10k kms service they replaced it with Mineral Oil & OMG ! what the car felt like, like it was not like my car which has gone to service.

NVH increased many times, car now behaved like a Old Swift than New Verna in terms of engine noise & vibrations.

What is really affected is high speed driving, previously even clocking 140kmph was an easy & smooth task but now it starts sounding noisy at 120kmph & after that it feels very unrefined & unwilling to clock further.

Planning to replace it with synthetic oil ASAP, afterall its life is thrice as compared to Mineral one i.e 15k kms viz 5k kms.

Please note, 10k kms is too much for Mineral oil for new-gen Swift & Dzire. 5k is recommended & maximum is you can go upto 8k kms.

Secondly, On asking SA about the engine oil, he said initially company recommended synthetic oil for new-gen Swift & Dzire but later on after few months they recommended Synthetic as well as Mineral oil for these cars however they altered the grade of mineral oil to 5W-30 to handle these new gen engines & to bear their emissions as well as refined bits.

MASC SA however don't admits these changes seen with Synthetic & Mineral oil usage but I do & i've experienced also.

Sailing in the same boat as me, bhavneet.

My New Swift DZire ZDi initially came with Synthetic engine oil, filled from factory & the car ran super-smooth as like new fluidic Verna CRDi but at 3rd/10k kms service they replaced it with Mineral Oil & OMG ! what the car felt like, like it was not like my car which has gone to service.

NVH increased many times, car now behaved like a Old Swift than New Verna in terms of engine noise & vibrations.

What is really affected is high speed driving, previously even clocking 140kmph was an easy & smooth task but now it starts sounding noisy at 120kmph & after that it feels very unrefined & unwilling to clock further.

Planning to replace it with synthetic oil ASAP, afterall its life is thrice as compared to Mineral one i.e 15k kms viz 5k kms.

Please note, 10k kms is too much for Mineral oil for new-gen Swift & Dzire. 5k is recommended & maximum is you can go upto 8k kms.

Secondly, On asking SA about the engine oil, he said initially company recommended synthetic oil for new-gen Swift & Dzire but later on after few months they recommended Synthetic as well as Mineral oil for these cars however they altered the grade of mineral oil to 5W-30 to handle these new gen engines & to bear their emissions as well as refined bits.

MASC SA however don't admits these changes seen with Synthetic & Mineral oil usage but I do & i've experienced also.

I agree to your experience of driving at 120+ speeds. The car almost felt out of breath at these speeds. I touched 145 when the car was comparatively new and it was a smooth ride. So as per your suggestion i should get synthetic oil in the upcoming service?

PS the SA at MASC keeps on saying that " sir mineral oil dalo koi farak nai padta" :wacko:

I guess i'll change it to synthetic and then i'll have an open comparison.

Actually I really didn't feel any difference between mineral and synthetic (Hyundai diesels are too smooth already) but I did it prolong the service to 15k kms and the car feels a bit more drivable in lower revs didn't get chance to do 120+ with Synthetic oil as yet. I used Mobile Devlac MX mineral oil before this and it felt almost the same.

Actually I really didn't feel any difference between mineral and synthetic (Hyundai diesels are too smooth already) but I did it prolong the service to 15k kms and the car feels a bit more drivable in lower revs didn't get chance to do 120+ with Synthetic oil as yet. I used Mobile Devlac MX mineral oil before this and it felt almost the same.

Yes you're right.

Don't know how Hyundai makes its diesel engines so silent, smooth &refined. I'm considering 1.4 CRDi(i20), 1.5 CRDi(old verna) & 1.6 CRDi(new fluidic verna) engines.

I'm literally amazed by New Verna's 1.6 CRDi engine, considering the way it runs Cream smooth, even with Mineral engine oil.

But these engines too might show even better performance with Synthetic oils.

These Hyundai diesel engines score high on refinement & performance but FIAT Multijet scores more on fuel-efficiency, reliability & is equally good on performance(as 1.3 drives like 1.5 of other cos & have read that Fiat 1.6 Multijet performs like 2.0 engine).