Shashank_GTO

New Honda City COMING SOON!! EDIT: Now Launched

The 6th Generation Honda City is just around the corner and Honda dealers in India are clearing their inventory of the outgoing model by giving discounts of as much as Rs.40,000 on the vehicle!!

The Next Gen Honda City will be unveiled in India on the 25th of November 2013.

The unveil of the Honda City will be the global showcasing of this car.

Apart from the Indian car market, Honda has plans of selling the Next Gen City in many other car markets across the world including many South East Asian countries such as Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia.

Previous generations of the City sold here in India have been made available only with petrol engines. As a result, the City lost a huge chunk of its market share to new diesel powered entrants such as the Hyundai Fluidic Verna and the Volkswagen Vento.

Honda got a taste of success when it launched the Amaze with a diesel option. Hence, in an attempt to regain and maintain its leadership in the midsized sedan segment the Next Gen City will be powered by the same oil burner that powers the Amaze. However, it is expected that the motor would get a Variable Geometry Turbocharger and hence would have at least 118PS of max power and is likely to have around 225Nm of peak torque.

Alongside the diesel, it is expected that the car will come with a 1.5 Liter 4 cylinder Direct Injection petrol engine option which was showcased last year. The new petrol motor produces 127 Bhp of max power and 154 Nm of peak torque. The new 1.5 litre Direct injection petrol motor comes laden with various new technologies such as High-tumble port, Low-tension piston rings, Patterned piston coating, Mass EGR, 2-stage relief oil pump, Lightweight engine block construction and Start-Stop system. This new motor comes under the banner of the much publicised Honda Earth Dreams Technology, and will have high fuel economy and low emissions.

But as per Autocar India, the outgoing City’s 1.5 litre i-VTEC engine is likely to be carried over with some minor tweaks to improve power and efficiency.

The Next Gen City will be built on the same platform as the upcoming next generation Jazz and both ot these vehicles will be locally assembled. The car could take some design inspiration from the new Crider sedan. It is also expected that the car would grow marginally in size.

The Next Gen City is likely to be packed with a host of new features like automatic climate control, bluetooth connectivity, etc. as Honda will be trying its best to keep up with growing demands of the C-segment sedan buyers.

Combined with the fantastic interior packaging efforts seen in Honda’s recent cars, the new City could very well set a new class benchmark for cabin space. The interiors will be upgraded too with a more upmarket ambience and more equipment, one of the current car’s shortcomings.

Though the car will be unveiled on the 25th of November 2013, deliveries are expected to begin only in January 2014. Honda dealers have already started taking bookings for the Next Gen City, with a deposit of around Rs 50,000.

post-50246-0-82377300-1383932083_thumb.j

post-50246-0-88521100-1383932088_thumb.j

post-50246-0-26899600-1383932093_thumb.j

post-50246-0-23053500-1383932106_thumb.j

post-50246-0-27066000-1383932109.jpg

post-50246-0-11328100-1383932112_thumb.j

post-50246-0-05185700-1383932115_thumb.j

post-50246-0-43965100-1383932117_thumb.j

post-50246-0-69785900-1383932119.jpg

post-50246-0-92011900-1383932122.jpg

Sources:

http://www.autocarin...-25-363268.aspx

http://www.motoroids.com

http://www.carfuel.in

http://www.cartoq.com

Seriously this looks like Toyota Camry from behind , front grill is too big for a sedan and too loud with all the chrome stuck on it. Honda has basically grown the city up to cover both the city as well as Civic segment and I expect the top end diesel to run in 13 lakhs on road with the taxes these days (the Amaze diesel top end touches 9.5 lakhs already). Hope Honda doesn't under-tyre the city again atleast provide 195 patch rubber this time.

The new smiling grill which Honda has adopted for future will filter down to the City as well.

Yes Rssh, I agree with you. The rear does look Camry like.

Also the car will be sold at a price higher than that of the current model. This might be Honda's way of plugging the vacuum created by the Honda Civic!

And the tyres yes.. We will be very happy to see a 195 or a 205!!!

There're 2 different cars shown in the set of pics above.

Just check, car in 2nd & 4th pic seems to be same/identical, rest in all disguised as well as studio shots, the car seen is Honda Crider.

Crider seems to be Honda CIVIC replacement in terms of size & design, however the car seen in 2nd & 4th pic seems to appropriate fit for City/Verna & Honda CIty replacement.

Lets see how the story unfolds on 25th of this November.

Got me there doc!! Even I felt that those two pics were very different.

That's because those pics might be of the actual Next Gen City!!

(2nd and 4th pics were clicked in Thailand!)

And the City's design is based on the Crider and it won't be the Crider itself!!

It'll be nice to see the Crider in our market but I have no idea what Honda's plans are for this one!!

Well the launch is eagerly awaited.

Lets hope that Honda brings its A-Game on the 25th!!

Doesn't look like the new Honda City. For what I have heard, the new City has a very aggressive styling and the CRider pictured above carries a little mature look in my opinion. Whatever be the case, you just can't go wrong with a Honda vehicle. I just hope they put in more features like automatic climate control, rear parking camera with sensors, and state of the art entertainment system with GPS (too much to ask maybe :P ) in the City this time around.

Many photos on new City have been doing rounds online though real story will emerge only on 25-Nov.

I hope new City is not Crider, i personally don't like it's design which is a mix of Accord (front) and Verna (sides) with too many creases.

The current City looks much better with clean lines.

But one thing is sure that new City will move up the ladder and target Civic segment as well.

This will create price gap to slot in MPV (Mobilio) next year.

I think Honda has new strategy nowadays, they have removed the Civic from the range and filled the med-lower end of variant to the Amaze ,also looking at the pics this city looks a size bigger more like gen 1 toyota corrolla size-wise. Price wise it looks like we would be lucky if any variant of diesel is priced below 11 onroad Mumbai.

I agree with you Rssh!! Honda seems to be doing just that!!

But if Honda prices the City over 11L or even 10L as a matter of fact, i think they will lose a big chunk of their market share to their competitors!!

I mean, if i am on the hunt for a good sedan within 10L, i would rather prefer a midrange Verna or SX4 or Fiesta or Vento over a fully loaded Amaze!!

Because cars like Amaze and DZire are just name sake sedans and not proper sedans!! A hatchback with a puny boot like thing glued to the rear!!

OMG ! How closely the pics of the car, termed as New Honda city resembles to this MG550 car. Even the logo position on both of these cars are quite same & are of same shape. So, this car is MG550 for sure.

So, fingers crossed till 25th of Nov for All-new Honda City unveiling.

What's next ! maybe a CRIDER as new Honda City or twist in the story again !

Finally the next gen Honda City has been unveiled!!!

The New City boasts a 24 percent improvement in structural rigidity as compared to the older car. There’s new MacPherson struts for the front suspension, while the rear gets an H-shape twist-beam suspension.

Honda also claims that the brakes have been tuned to provide better feel.

The new City comes loaded with goodies such as five-inch LCD display with in-built hands-free telephony, steering-mounted audio controls, eight-speaker sound system with USB, MP3 and Bluetooth connectivity as standard, along with a total of four power outlets for the front and rear seats.

The car now also gets rear air-con vents, touchscreen air-con controls, one push smart entry system, honda smart key system, blue and white multi information combination meter with chrome accents, a sunroof and cruise control.

However, the price which Honda would be demanding for this New City hasn't been revealed yet!!

In terms of size, the new car has a length of 4440mm (same as the old City), but the wheelbase is 50mm more at 2600mm, shoulder room is 40mm more, height stands at 10mm more at 1495mm, width at 1695mm, legroom has gone up by 60mm and knee room has gone up by 70mm.

It terms of looks, there isn't any huge change. The car manages to look elegant and the design will go down well with City admirers.

Here are a few pics:

post-50246-0-84262100-1385372243_thumb.j

post-50246-0-35918900-1385372241.jpg

post-50246-0-88710300-1385372245.jpg

post-50246-0-45356500-1385372247.jpg

post-50246-0-81190100-1385372250_thumb.j

post-50246-0-19740300-1385372253_thumb.j

post-50246-0-99482100-1385372248.jpg

Source: www.autocarindia.com

I was watching the live webcast and must say that i am quite disappointed.

Well it was already mentioned earlier that the new City will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, and that's what it was.

I am not even sure it deserved a 4th gen tag, to me it's more of a facelift.

However, rather than exteriors, it's the interiors which has seen more of an upgrade (touch ACC, 8 speakers etc..).

From exterior point of view, the front grill of current City looks much better, tires are still skinny and alloy design a step backwards i think.

Having said all this, with now diesel mill available it will surely sell well (hoping pricing is not into D segment territory).

All in all, customers who had just purchased current City should not be too saddened on their decision.

1st thing on my mind after watching the LIVE web-cast of the New City launch was " Was there too much Hype created for too little a change "

Being a huge fan of the Honda and taking into consideration the significant amount of changes they brought about to each generation of the City, I seriously expected a bit more different looking atleast from the outside.

But no regrets on the interiors and the long list of newly added features which are true Honda class. And given that Honda has added a new diesel engine will surely make the New Honda a huge hit in the Indian market.

While the exteriors have only been moderately upgraded, its the interiors which have seen a sea change in the overall design layout. However, there are still minor hints of confusion there too especially the curvy treatment of the glove box as against the geometric patterns elsewhere on the dashboard. One department that Honda team has worked extensively is to add the much needed gadgetry to the mix which certainly makes it a car in tune with the times (a little more future proof rather courtesy the touchscreen climate control module). Would try to take a test drive to see if its actually any better mechanically than the car it replaces.

Well i too agree that the new CITY was more of facelift to the current car.

Honda City is a car liked by everyone but lack of a diesel and a weak equipment list stole all its charm and that's where Hyundai Verna succeeded...

Hyundai got everythin spot on in terms of exterioi looks and interiors...

The new City seemed to be a fluidic version of current car with a bold crease running on the side. With the front fascia almost similar ro the current car, to my opinion the current city had a better looking grill and talking of the outgoing model, it had better alloys too.

The rear of the car is the biggest change observed and seem to borrow its styling queues from the older BMW. Still looks attractive from behind as compared to current selling model.

I feel interiors are a bit let down in terms of dash layout. It has got a strong equipment list and rear AC vents which is a big plus but the dash design could have been more better with better color pattern and crome lining on AC vents. The middle AC vents looks a bit odd too. All black lower half of dash also looks outdated when compared to dash of Hyundai Verna. With aim to minimise buttons the surroundings of the 5" display screen also looks boring a bit with all black color scheme (a personal opinion).

Well but a strong equipment list and a diesel engine what remains a question is that will the engine be as refined as Hyundai's 1.6 CRDI? If not atleast noise levels must be reduced which a major complInt of Amaze Owners. Another parameter which Honda needs to focus is pricing... Hyundai has 4 engine options while its competetion priced well compared to 1.6 L verna still lacks behind in terms of sales. Honda needs to get pricing right making sure it not exceeds Verna too much. Another thing which draws attention towards Verna is a Diesel Automatic which no other offers. So after its launch in January, the new City will have to fight hard with Verna which also may recieve an update soon possibly with a touch screen music system, rear ac vents, cruise control and navigation system.

The car looks promising upto a price point ,since Honda may not enjoy steep premium pricing like Vtec Zx + types since the Vento and Verna has strong market sentiments (excellent resale value); it all will come down to the price.

The exterior are better if you look at facelift POV but the side profile looks a bit awkward ;plain front fender turning into smooth curve with agressive crease lines it looks confusing also the rear door to boot integration looks awkward (ala Fiesta). The interiors looks fresh and modern but blue circular ring have the bling but it may be more distracting an night. I will hold my view about the touch-sensitive AC controls coz you will have to move your eyes to the panel to change the AC settings (ergonomic flaw IMO) when driving.

About the diesel and petrol engine Honda seems to have forget to put new technologies this time. Atleast a DOHC in Petrol would have been nice improving a bit on torque (still no graph of torque/power figures). It will be disappointing to see no change made to the diesel engine atleast a VGT should have been there for better power figures.

Honda won't get the same refinement that Hyundai 1.6CRDi engine has trust me, the i-Dtec is Aluminium engine and Honda is new to diesel technology for small capacity wereas Hyundai have had diesel since they established the company and have extensive R&D in it. City being a heavier car should have more power and torque wrt Amaze.

The car looks promising upto a price point ,since Honda may not enjoy steep premium pricing like Vtec Zx + types since the Vento and Verna has strong market sentiments (excellent resale value); it all will come down to the price.

I agree, it all depends on the pricing now.

Reports suggests that Honda will price it very aggressively, may be 20-30k premium over Verna.

Hope this holds true but there are also reports suggesting Honda targeting both City and Civic segments in one shot.

But i don't think it will be the right move.

Though Verna/Elantra combination have done same earlier, people coming to buy Elantra ends up buying top end Verna as they both have same diesel engines. But in that case Hyundai at least ensured they have a presence in D segment with Elantra.

Moreover, introduction of Jazz will leave Honda in a tight spot w.r.t to pricing of Jazz and City.

If Jazz (being more premium product than Amaze) sits over Amaze then it will push City further more into D segment pricing.

It came no surprise that this car is based on existing platform & it has to be also reason being no platform or body layout gets obsolete in 4-5 years span of time instead it brings another opportunity to evolve it further. Many global giants do it like Ford, GM, etc. so what's harm if honda uses it, maybe it's forced by market conditions like Diesel buying trends, etc. Since it was having too much juice left in it so Honda tried to extract from it albeit with refining it further. So regarding exteriors i think these are conservatively designed & his city looks resembles to its predecessor like initial type-I & II did.

Coming to interiors, I think still Honda lacked behind interms of plastics texture i'd say specially when the spy shots of Maruti Suzuki YL-1/new SX4 sedan are across the web with its interior shots revealing its Skoda/VW inspired dashboard.

I reserve my opinion about Touch screen HVAC controls also as i don't think they're safe enough to be used while driving as they need more attention to operate than rotary or knob like controls. Rear legroom & sholder room is improved & class topping i'd say.

BTW, Nice to see conventional yet modern sedans(new city & maruti YL-1 sedan) have started taking shape again instead of cab forward or of other different bodystyles.