vidyadhar20081974

New Skoda Rapid MPI Elegance

I got delivery of my Skoda Rapid Elegance MPI on 13/10/2013. Though went through several horor stories of Skoda service, I dared to purchase one for the following reasons:

1. Solid built of the Car.

2. Better ride and handling.

3. Good Value for Money (9,30,000/-) on road.

4. Better driving position than ANHC (my personal opinion)

5. Interior fit and finish.

6. Some exclusive features like (Auto climate control, MID)

7. Long service intervals (15000 kms)

‚ÄčIt is June 2013 manufactured car. Though I was insisting for August onward manufactured car, could not get it. I read from some other reviews also that they also received 3-4 months old car. Another minus was that the car was not made available for PDI in the stalk yard and many flimsy reasons were given for the same. The Odometer was also showing 300 kms. Stalk yard is little bit away from the showroom. Inspite of all this I was pleased to see the car when I visited the showroom a day before the date of delivery. It was not having any apparent sigh of misuse or being more than three months old. It was in dirty condition but sales person assured that it would be cleaned properly. Of course he kept his word.

The delivery experience was very good the only point was they made me and my wife and son to wait for two long hours as the car was being prepared for delivery. When we saw the car ready for delivery, it was really very well cleaned. Even ANHC which my office purchased 15 days before was not properly cleaned at the time of the delivery. The sales staff was vary helpful and all the features were explained. The sales representative was present with me all the time I was in showroom. I was happy to see than many rapid cars were delivered on that day and most of them are of Capetuno Beige Colour.

The car is really well built. My 9 years old son has to make efforts to shut or open the door. Even it is difficult to lift the bonnet by one hand. The engine is old school and sound little rough at idle but one you shut the doors and windows rolled up it is hard to hear. It generates torque at low 3800 RPM and no need to rev hard. Acceleration is smooth but strong. Overtaking is easy and power comes on demand immediately. I used Maruti 800, WagonR and Ritz for 10 years hence could feel the difference in comforts levels of hatch and sedan immediately. Suspension is soft and comfortable. Though the ground clearance is at lower side, I managed to scrap underbody only at once and that too most probably the mudflap.

Automatic climate control is very useful feature and one it is set at desired temperature, then it keeps comfortable ambient inside. In my old cars I had to fiddle with the air conditioner frequently to meet the different demands of the occupants.

Inbuilt audio is found to be vary good with wide range of bass and treble settings. It is surprisingly good for ordinary listener. But I sorely missed the steering mounted controls which were available in my ritz.

MID shows current and average fuel consumption. Instantaneous consumption varies from 3-4 kmpl (in 1st and 2nd gear while accelerating) to 85 kmpl (seen in 3rd to 5th gear in different speed and when accelerator is not pressed). Are these readings correct? Experts may kindly comment. The MID has two memory setting. Memory A stores data for one trip and if the break is not more than two hours, it adds new data in previous one. Memory be can store more data depending upon the model of MID. I do not know how to find out the same. Somebody may please help. I am getting 10-11 kmpl in city and 15.5 kmpl on highway as per the MID. But tankful method showed efficiency of 14.5 kmpl. Is such difference possible or it is possible due to feeling the tank upto brim (which I did at the later point by shaking the car).

One funny thing I noticed that at the time delivery is that I asked the sales person as to what is rough road package? He referred me to a senior sales consultant who to my surprise answered that the Skoda company runs every engine for almost 40 hours before it is fitted in any car and hence it is capable of handling any road. The shock was so huge that I forgot to ask some more questions about the same to him and preferred to keep mum. Can I upload some photographs on this forum? If yes then how?

First of all Welcome to the forum and Congrats for your new purchase. Rapid is a very good car with solid build quality. Wish you many miles of Happy Driving.

Can I upload some photographs on this forum? If yes then how?

Go to more reply options/reply to this topic. Then click choose files below the box in which you write.

Thanks. Will post the pictures soon. By the way I have heard that Rapid has such power windows that do not shut if any object is found in the window. When I tried to shut the window by keeping my hand in between, the glass came up as usual. Experts may please comment.

I think you'd not keep your hand until it touches your hand on the upper side of the window and try with something else instead of your own hand. :)

Waiting for pics :)

Works mostly with the Auto Winding windows aka with the Drivers Side.So just one out of the four windows has this feature in most cars.

In principle -The window has to hit you once and then it rolls back on encountering the obstruction.

The obstruction should be a hard one , just merely putting a loose hand in its way will not work.Make the blockage count.

Hoping the pinch sensors are working correctly.

Read about Pinch Protection.

Its a really good car.. What I felt during Test Drive was - " I was able to feel the Engine's Vibration in the Clutch Pedal" - I tried Two Test Drive Vehicle - in both I Felt the same". Is it the case in all Rapid, Need your feedback