Mern

Engine oil for Alto K10

Hello guys,

Need help with a common question.

My Alto K10's done 9500km and is due for a service. I have been reading a few articles about engine oils (synthetic vs mineral, benefits of synthetic over minerals etc). I want to use a synthetic oil for my car but I am not sure which grade to use.

So,can you please help me out here? :)

Go for synthetic oil which will lubricate better than mineral oil. And use the grade which is recommended by the manufacturer, I think 0W40 Fully Synthetic is right grade for K10. And go for Mobil1, which is known to offer outstanding protection under all operating conditions.

dont worry too much about mineral or synthetic oils for maruti Alto. 20W40 is the recommended grade of engine oil. any brand like Shell, Castrol etc are of high quality oils (semi synthetic). Synthetic oils are required for very high performance cars.

It seems like you have bought this car within a year or so and if this is correct then MSIL gives you 3 years warranty on their cars.

In order to play safe with the warrant and not to make it void, I would recommend that you should stick to the grade mentioned in the owner's manual/car manual.

On Synthetic Vs Mineral - it does not make much of the difference as today mineral are having the same life as of Synthetic. If you regularly service your car and take care of periodic oil & filter replacements, then mineral would also be on same levels as of synthetic.

Moreover, the cost of 3 Ltr mineral would be around 1500 to 1600 Rs. whereas, synthetic would cost you 3000+ Rs. Having said that and taking into consideration that both oils have a life of 10K KM OR 1 year (whichever is earlier), after that you would obviously replace the oil under the warranty terms & condition...I would suggest go for mineral with same grade as per manual.

Edited by Sstar

In case you want to longer service interval of 10-13k kms, the synthetic oil would be the only solution. In case you forget to get your car serviced at times and end up doing 2-3k above the suggested 5k service interval, then a semi-synthetic oil would serve the purpose perfectly. If you follow the suggested service intervals rigidly, then a mineral oil would be just perfect for the job. What you would need to ensure in case of semi-synthetic and synthetic oil is that the air-filter might need a clean-up or change much before the next oil change. Cheers!

The synthetic SAE 5W-30 API SG +, SL, SJ engine oils are recommended by the manufacturer. However, the engine does good with the semi-synthetic 15W40 and synthetic 0W40 lubricants too. Brands like Motul, Castrol, Veedol, Divyol are best engine oil for Alto.