Sign in to follow this  
dr_nishu

New 2014 Honda City i-DTEC/i-VTEC Review, test drive

post-67-0-08444500-1387222592.jpg

Honda’s engineering brilliance has been embodied by its i-VTEC engines, but this time around Honda is counting on its i-DTEC diesel motor to script the next chapter of its success story in India. The diesel motor in question is the 1.5-litre i-DTEC that debuted in the Amaze. The engine itself has been carried over unchanged to the City. The gearbox is shared too, and the first five gears are identical to the smaller saloon, with a new sixth gear specifically for the City. Even though the City is roughly 45kg lighter than the previous-generation car, it is still 90kg heavier than the Amaze, so a shorter ratio is used for the final drive to extract a bit more zing from the 20.4kgm of torque. In fact, Honda claims that the City i-DTEC will be the most fuel-efficient car in the country, with a claimed fuel efficiency of 26kpl! We can’t wait to put it through our test cycle in Mumbai to see how it performs in the real world.

post-67-0-47321200-1387223507.jpg

On our first drive in Jaipur, however, our first impression of this car is that it has minimal turbo lag. The responsiveness even under 2,000rpm is very handy. Once past the 2,000rpm, the motor pulls cleanly to over 3,600rpm, making it hassle-free in the city and outside it. Although revving it to its 4,000rpm redline offered little advantage, and it did highlight this motor’s sore point – the engine noise. Since the abundance of engine noise was a bugbear of ours in the Amaze, better sound insulation was almost taken for granted in the diesel City, and it is slightly more refined than its little sibling. Sadly, the coarse engine rumble is still clearly audible in the cabin, and it’s not quiet enough for the class standard.

Despite this foible, the diesel is sure to hog a big chunk of the sales, but true Honda fans will no doubt be keen to know more about the petrol.

post-67-0-40026300-1387222589.jpg

However, the back seat is a place you don’t want to miss in this car. Step in through the rear doors and it feels like the City has been stretched by 50cm not 50mm. Knee room is ample, and the seat base is generous, with lots of under-thigh support. Dedicated air-conditioning vents for the rear passengers and two power outlets round off a sumptuous back seat.

Honda is trying to wow the people in the front seats too. The company has been getting some flak for the interiors of its cars and things have changed significantly with the new City. The design looks richer, with a silver 'T' running across the dash, and the glossy piano black trim adds to the appeal too.

There’s also plenty of equipment on offer. The instruments for the driver are big and easy to read, rings around the dials glow blue or green (depending on your driving style) and the chunky steering wheel is a high point, with well damped switches for the music and telephony. After much criticism for its omission in the previous City, the music system brings back a CD player (with DVD support too), along with the now mandatory Bluetooth, USB and Aux-in. A five-inch screen is the interface for the music system, while the air conditioning system is operated via a touch panel. And let’s not forget, the City also offers a sunroof.

But while the cabin is well equipped and well specced, it doesn’t feel cohesive. In terms of design, the LCD display for the music system looks lost in the piano black surround.

post-67-0-56818600-1387222586.jpg

Source & Read more at: http://www.autocarin...ive-367796.aspx

Edited by dr_nishu

Came across this on IAB . Nice details so thought of sharing:

post-9757-0-18246600-1387257724_thumb.jp

The image above shows you how much the City has grown over its predecessor. While the wheelbase has gone up by 50 mm, the height has increased by 10 mm, and other exterior dimensions remain the same. Inside, the shoulder room has increased by 40 mm, and the headroom at the front by 10 mm. What’s pretty amazing is that Honda engineers have managed to juice out an extra 60 mm in rear legroom and 60 mm in the tandem distance between the seat bases.

post-9757-0-87773900-1387257770_thumb.jp

The new City boasts an improved ground clearance of 165 mm as compared to the outgoing model’s 160 mm. That’s not all though. Honda’s R&D team point out that that the ‘ground contact’ has also been improved as is the placement of the exhaust system. As a result, the new City is unlikely to scrape its underbelly over most surfaces.

post-9757-0-70196900-1387257858_thumb.jp

Honda is keen to point out that the new City uses a high-rigidity, yet lightweight body made up of high tensile steel. Though this information maybe completely useless to the rear seat driven CEO, or while driving this car at 20 km/h through Mumbai traffic, fact is that the new City is a pretty lightweight car. The top-end VX petrol AT weighs 1,085 kg while the top-end diesel weighs 1,165 kg.

Improvements have also been made to the suspension and steering of the car. At the front, the new City gets new geometry MacPherson struts, while the rear gets a high rigidity H-shaped twist beam.

post-9757-0-96821700-1387257918_thumb.jp

At least the top-end variant of the new City will feature dual front airbags, ABS and EBD (Honda will not disclose the variant-wise specs for now). Apart from that, all variants of the car get the ACE (Advanced Compatible Engineering) body shell, which has also been optimized for pedestrian safety. The front head restraints of the new City are designed to reduce the likelihood of neck injury.

post-9757-0-88749200-1387257979_thumb.jp

All variants of the new City get low rolling resistance tires to improve economy

post-9757-0-67171100-1387258044_thumb.jp

The City diesel is powered by the same 1.5-liter EarthDreams diesel engine as the Amaze. And like the Amaze, the engine in the City diesel produces 100 PS at 3,600 rpm and 200 Nm of torque at 1,750 rpm, and this is handled by a 6-speed manual transmission. The end result is that the City diesel is India’s most fuel efficient car at 26 km/l.

According to Honda, the City diesel has the best compromise between efficiency and in-gear acceleration from 40-100 km/h in fourth gear.

Engineers have also tried to improve the NVH of the car as the image above shows. When compared to their benchmark vehicle in this segment, Honda says that the new City is much quieter in sudden acceleration and cruising, be it on a flat road or rough road.

post-9757-0-99277200-1387258090_thumb.jp

The new City petrol uses the same 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine as the older model. However, engineers have enhanced this further and it now delivers 1 PS and 1 Nm more than the outgoing model (at 119 PS and 145 Nm).

The engine features an exhaust gas recirculation system, optimized valve timing using double needle plug, reduced friction compared to the previous model and an integrated lightweight plastic manifold.

The ratios of the 5-speed manual transmission have been revised. As a result, the new City petrol MT delivers an ARAI claimed 17.8 km/l.

post-9757-0-52603400-1387258151_thumb.jp

The automatic variant now gets a CVT gearbox, ditching the conventional torque converter unit. Based on Honda’s existing CVT technology, engineers have improved it further using a high tension belt, better CVT fluid and an efficient oil pump. Thanks to the new CVT fluid, Honda say that the City CVT has an 8 percent wider ratio than conventional CVTs. Add to that, the gearbox is lighter by 10 percent compared to the existing CVT model (not available in India currently).

What this all means is that the City CVT is more efficient than the City manual, returning 18 km/l. The paddle shifters, a tech highlight in the previous City AT, are still present in the City CVT and give the driver access to seven stepped ratios.

Other specs:

• Tyre size: 175/65 R15
  • Fuel Tank capacity: 40 liters
  • Boot capacity: 510 liters
  • Turning radius: 5.3 m
  • Front Brakes: Discs
  • Rear Brakes: Drums

Source: Indianautosblog

Since doc has started this thread putting the ACI video review here too:

and the photo gallery

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gallery/new-2014-honda-city-review-photo-gallery-367793.aspx

I am impressed with the space on offer on the new city and the drive-train ;but cutting on boot and rear wheel well cladding is too much cost cutting for a car which will cost 12 lakhs + on road.

Honda must not void warranty on up-sizing the tyres to atleast 195 width.

1880 views & 3 replies to thread so far !

Does Honda city has lost its charm of being India's most loved & anticipated premium sedan ! Specially When Honda have addressed its biggest shortcomongs like lack of diesel engine option & functional yet stylish interiors.

The scene is very different now, Honda got too late in starting off with Diesel race.While their first entry to the bandwagon, the Amaze was accepted nicely in the market but it did not break any new ground. Which is very essential to make a splash while bringing anything new in the market.

Right now also Honda has not quite read the market correctly, the current wave is for Small/City SUV's. Recent success of Eco-Sport, Terrano, Duster, etc. should have been more than enough to ruffle some feathers.

City if priced correctly is sure to gain success but does it bring anything new to the table ? NO. So the consumers are not very enthusiastic about the vehicle. Actually the new City means more to Honda than to the consumers. For Honda it was essential to have a diesel portfolio, while consumers have a long choice to choose from now.

1880 views & 3 replies to thread so far !

Does Honda city has lost its charm of being India's most loved & anticipated premium sedan ! Specially When Honda have addressed its biggest shortcomongs like lack of diesel engine option & functional yet stylish interiors.

I think people will only comment after the price release in Jan till then even I will not judge the car that much , our is a real price sensitive market.

Nice review guys, I am sure new CITY will make some dent into Sunny's sales chart but on the same line, soaring price of diesel would make prospective customers to look for other options as price is going to go beyond 12L.

Overall, it Honda is going to price is very very right, then only its diesel advantage is going to serve the purpose else we have VERNA n Sunny in the ground.

New Honda is nothing new but brain wash for Indian Customers for petrol version.

Another one is not at all refined Very loud so I have doubt Diesel will do any wonder in Indian market. In my opinion Honda is complacent that's why not introduced variable geometry turbo engine.

I too think the customer liking has shifted to small SUVs/Cross-overs from sedans. I'm thinking of a second car and though the City impresses me, there are many cars like the Nissan Terrano, XUV 500 and Ecosport waving their arms to me and crucially, within the same price bracket. If you can have a pocket SUV that's easy on the pocket, why not? I'm but glad that the City has retained some of its arrow-shot form, which was a design classic. But I sometimes think that the previous car was more appealing than this one... and that's not the first time it has happened in the automotive world.

I guess Honda might have to re-think the strategy to put the same diesel engine as the Amaze's, that will certainly not make the diesel buyers happy. After all, they will be charging a handsome premium on the diesel model over the petrol (which is an unfair practice), so why wouldn't they up the performance of the engine!

SCOOP ! New Honda City variants & specifications:

post-67-0-94028100-1388173978.jpg

According to the source, the new 2014 Honda City will be available in five trim levels - E, S, SV, V and VX - in both the diesel and petrol versions.

All versions of the Honda City diesel model are expected to come with ABS, EBD and a driver airbag as standard while the petrol versions of the new Honda City, while all but the base petrol (E) trim will have ABS. Also, the top three variants on both the diesel and petrol Honda Citys will come with an additional front passenger airbag.

The automatic climate control air-con with touch controls will be available only on the New Honda City SV, V and VX trims, while the lower two trims will come with a manual air conditioner. The top three trims will also exclusively get air-con vents for the rear seats. While only the top two trims of the new 2014 Honda City get the five-inch display, eight-speaker entertainment system with a CD player and reversing camera, the S and SV trims come with an integrated four-speaker system without a CD player or the camera. Both audio systems offer USB, aux-in, Bluetooth streaming and steering-mounted controls, though, and the base Honda City E comes without an audio system.

The top two variants of the new 2014 Honda City are the only ones to get alloy wheels, front fog lamps and power outlets at the rear seats.

The range-topping New Honda City VX trim gets chrome door handles, leather upholstery, push-button start, sunroof and keyless entry via a smart key.

The all-new 2014 Honda City will be offered with the carmaker’s new 1.5-litre made-for-India diesel motor and the 1.5-litre i-VTEC petrol motor from the outgoing car when it is launched on January 7, 2014. The petrol car will also be offered with the option of a CVT automatic gearbox.

Source: Autocar India.

The car has now lost its driving charm and looks like a chauffeur driven car now. The gizmos they provide now is a lot better than before, but now the 2014 Verna rides on stiffer suspension.