happysingh

Help in selecting the right car

Hello All,

My budget is between 5-6 Lacs. I am planning to buy a Sedan. I have checked SX4, City, Fiesta and Accent.

Out of these Accent GLE fits my budget. Can you all experts let me know if Accent is a good choice as I have heard that Hyundai is planning to discontinue this car.

Thanks

The accent is a good car, but with better competition available, I would advise against it. Out of the choices given, the Honda City is the best of the lot, but is on the expensive side. I would suggest the SX4 if its possible to stretch your budget slightly.

FRG

Hi Happy Singh,

Ki Haal hai thoddha. Im from Chennai, but did my postgrad in PGI Chandigarh, so my Gurmukhi, albeit a little rusty.I have had an Accent for 6 years before I graduated to Elantra. It's a car with decent value. Mileage with a/c on in the city is 9 kmpl thereabouts. When loaded fully it's ride and handling becomes wishywashy. It has a terrific a/c. The brakes are prone to fade in the long run. Ride deteriorates with age. The interiors are one of the best even now. The back seat is low. With the recent price reduction of Rs.4.99 lakh it's extremely good value. I bought the Accent GLS(1.5 lit petrol) from the first batch on introduction in '99 and had it till '05 end. But now it's terrific VFM, although age is showing.

Note From Admin: Please dont use bold and italics for the entire post. Limit use to highlight an important point only.
FuelRunGod2008-02-03 13:12:28

Thanks for the prompt reply. The cost of SX4 comes to around 7.4 Lacs which is a very big amount.

How is the performance of Accent GLE?

As you will see from my signature I have a 1.5 Accent GLS which is almost the same as the car now being sold as GLE. I have had it for 5-1/2 years (41,000+km) so have a fair exposure to the car.

I have had only two problems in this period. The Rear Shocks have gone thrice and now I am on my fourth set (front also changed recently). This by all accounts is a one off problem. Also, now I hear that Hyundai have switched to Gabriel from the Korean ones which should also help. The second problem was when last year the clutch suddenly failed. It was the hydraulics leaking and was repaired by changing the cylinder.

The car is a nice car to driver (the previous one was an Esteem). The engine is n a long stroke design, good for lazy driving, good torque  (not many gear changes) but a rough top end. The gear box is mediocre (as compared to the Esteem). Interiors are good and durable.

Spares/service are easy, good, and cheap. Hyundai refuses to part with the service manual, if you are so interested. But the same applies to most of them (Maruti is an exception here).

The only point against it is that it is an old model on its way out. Otherwise highly recommended.smiley1.gif

Thanks for the prompt reply. The cost of SX4 comes to around 7.4 Lacs which is a very big amount.

How is the performance of Accent GLE?

As you will see from my signature I have a 1.5 Accent GLS which is almost the same as the car now being sold as GLE. I have had it for 5-1/2 years (41' date='000+km) so have a fair exposure to the car.

I have had only two problems in this period. The Rear Shocks have gone thrice and now I am on my fourth set (front also changed recently). This by all accounts is a one off problem. Also, now I hear that Hyundai have switched to Gabriel from the Korean ones which should also help. The second problem was when last year the clutch suddenly failed. It was the hydraulics leaking and was repaired by changing the cylinder.

The car is a nice car to driver (the previous one was an Esteem). The engine is n a long stroke design, good for lazy driving, good torque  (not many gear changes) but a rough top end. The gear box is mediocre (as compared to the Esteem). Interiors are good and durable.

Spares/service are easy, good, and cheap. Hyundai refuses to part with the service manual, if you are so interested. But the same applies to most of them (Maruti is an exception here).

The only point against it is that it is an old model on its way out. Otherwise highly recommended.smiley1.gif

[/quote']

The rate at which you change shocks is truly 'shocking'. It happened to me too, the front and rear left side shocks packed up after I hit a 1' deep pothole at some 60 kmph, the thud was soo fierce that my glove box opened and discharged its contents, lol. Then I paid a tidy sum for them both <Rs.6k I think>. It was ok after that but the ride kinda deteriorated after initially being nice. The Accent GLS was the car I had longest, 6 years and almost 60,000 kms. I sold it for Rs.2.25 lakh after 6 years with the original tyres, and a cracked windshield. The initial price was Rs.6.18 lakh, '99.

i would advise you to go in for the new generation model...rather than a model thats about to be discontinued...in your budget you can choose the aveo(base)which is a good car to drive with a decent mileage..and if you can wait for the swift sedan its better(but might take 3 months to launch)...as for the accent its good but high on the maintaince front..happy choosingsmiley1.gif

@Doc Durango Dude

In your case you could trace the shock failure and deterioration fo handling to the heavy impact of the pothole. In my case it was all routine driving with no mishap.

I had posted this problem in the early days of the forum - before you joined. The only advice I got was to get a pair of Bilsteins for about 19k. One set of rears (genuine, but not from Hyundai) lasted barely 6000 km! The full replacement score is Left Rear -Thrice, Right Rear - twice, Front - Once.

Even more interesting almost all the mileage I do on the Accent is highway (mostly on the GQ) since for local driving I prefer the Santro Auto.