librankur

Videos : Crash Test : Indian cars

BMW ALL SERIES

@moderators

Is there a way to make a video the first video of this post.

I have found a video online that explains the entire crash testing process to a great extend,hopefully you can accomodate my request.

Otherwise we can also start a new thread with this single video and then merge the rest of this existing thread onto it.

Crash Testing Explained

[media=]

Did you get to know that the EcoSport that is set to be exported out of India is getting structural changes to meet safety standards abroad.

A link below mentions the same and much more

motorbash.com/indian-government-preparing-crash-test-norms-cars-safer/

Ecosport is already being exported to other market and this ain't nothing new. Even VW, Hyundai, Tata, Maruti all get more structure element in their export variants.

Tata Aria when launched was the safest vehicle, but after it floped Tata launched the 4x2 variant which was more than 200 kgs lesser in weight and they removed safety elements which were weighting it down.

Fiat Punto 2009-2012 model were very heavy cars for their class and when the 2013 model was launched with more GC the weight were reduced by 60kgs. Thinner sheet metal and removal for heavy structural element reduced the weight.

Just heard from a car magazine journo friend that crash test would be made compulsary in india , he claimed that facilities are coming up in India , Airbags , ESP ,ABS will all be standard fitment, prices to go up by 20-25 %

unconfirmed needless to say

Just heard from a car magazine journo friend that crash test would be made compulsary in india , he claimed that facilities are coming up in India , Airbags , ESP ,ABS will all be standard fitment, prices to go up by 20-25 %

unconfirmed needless to say

@librankur, I think that is a much needed move and I hope it is implemented with full force.

Swift and Datsun Go Flunk crash test

Both these cars failed a rash test by global testing firm Global NCAP,both got zero stars out of five and were rated unstable.

Interestingly , Global NCAP also tested the Swift Variant that is exported to Latin American markets , they scored three stars there.

GLOBAL NCAP as a PR excercise did these tests as it wants to do business in india, all these cars were bought by Global NCAP , manufacturers were informed prior to testing.

Both of these manufacturers have reacted sharply , saying

If a car made for india , meeting Indian Specifications, is tested fora customer in Europe, it will fail.Conduct these tests for Indian regulations and question us if our cars then fail.

Excerpts from a Newspaper Article

Dated Today

Hinduatan Times , Business Section, Delhi Edition , Page 13

New norms from October 2015

All new cars to hit indian roads will come with safety features such as airbags , antilock braking systems , child restraint systems and seat belt reminders

Govt will give manfacturers another 2 years- untill 2017- to equip car sold before October 2015 with enhancement features

New norms part of Indias first New Car Assesment Programme (NCAP) , that will be notified early next years, NCAP is accepted safety standard followed in Europe and US

Road Minstry has proposed a vehicle regulation and road safety authority to enforce regulation

Govt plana hefty penalties against violators.

Source

HT Delhi Edition , Front Page

Informative thread. But the thing is all these models are the ones sold in other countries right? We have seen that when the ASEAN NCAP crash test was carried out last time in Malaysia, the Suzuki Swift scored 4 stars and now when NCAP has carried out the same test on the Swift sold in India it has failed miserably with structural disintegration over acceptable levels. Even with airbags it wouldn't have acheived 4 stars though it might have passed the test. Manufacturers are using lower quality materials in the chassis construction in India to lower costs at the sacrifice of safety.

After hearing news about failing of crash test Datsun Go suddenly my impression about the car as well as it's parent company NISSAN has changed a lot.

Before the crash test results report I was looking Datsun GO as an alternative to Maruti Alto / Eon because GO is little more bigger in terms of cabin space as well as boot space also the engine of GO is much better and peppier than the other two cars within it's range.

I was having impression that "GO" is extremely stripped down version of 'Nissan Micra" with some changes in design to differentiate. So may be "GO" was lacking some normal features I thought mechanicals and long term ownership experience would be at par with global standard as set by NISSAN.

I thought Nissan introduced a good product having affordable price but that impression has changed after hearing reports of crash test of DATSUN GO .

We may ignore failed result of crash test by domestic manufacturers such as Premier, Tata , Maruti or Mahindra or Hindustan Motors but when it comes to product of global players we expect some standard even if the product is cheap in terms of price.

Nissan should have done some justice to make GO safer car so that a customer who may buy a cheap car in terms of money but should not be compromised about his or his family member's safety.

I thought about all international company; all these international company focused on profit margins, not on quality or customer need or social responsibility. Safety features must have from lowest model. Look at Suziki's Alto, Nissan Dtusun Go having zero star ratting however hot cake for their companies. Public has no choice ; as all manufactures are indifferent.

For three years now we have been on it but nothing changes here in India.

Just yesterday i somehow brought up crash testing on another thread here.

SAFETY always takes a back seat and PRICING always takes people for a ride.

Govt does nothing till somone dies

Thank God for poor road conditions and traffic jams , people are forced to drive slow in these moving coffins

Check Autocar india for videos on all tests

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/zero-stars-for-indian-cars-in-latest-crash-tests-global-ncap-401941.aspx/0

Only reason for celebration

These are stripped down versions

People can buy a fully loaded vehicle

2017 is just an year away

Govt should make basic safety mandatory right now ,

seatbelts and helmets should be made mandatory througout India and not just metros

But the kind of defunt govt we have we can only look to the Courts to instill some sense in the system

Here are the links to the videos:

Renault Kwid:

Maruti Eeco:

Hyundai Eon:

Maruti Celerio:

Mahindra Scorpio:

I agree with all you said librankur. But nothing will change if the people's mindset doesnt. No one wants to pay for safety. Basic safety features should be standard across all variants of cars. Its ok if some convenience features are omitted. Plus the road laws need to be enforced strictly. For eg: its scary the way people jump signals even in the day time. Helmets are worn to save 100 bucks. Is that what a life is worth?

Sad state of affairs

Only reason for celebration

These are stripped down versions

People can buy a fully loaded vehicle

2017 is just an year away

BTW, these crash test results found even basic chassis/structure as unstable.

So I think even with airbags, ABS etc these cars can't pass the crash tests.

But yes, I agree, until Govt forces manufacturers to provide basic safety kit as standard, nothing much will change.

These will continue to sell and be termed as best sellers in our market !!

Now that you bring helmets into the conversation , just look at the kind we have , these are wafer thin made of plastic , like those yellow safety helmets used at construction site by labourers and most definitely do more harm in an accident of even a minor nature

Why cant we have ONE WORLD ONE SAFETY STANDARD , the approach should be to adopt the newest one as as when it comes out.

Waiting for several years just to make products safer to comply to a current safety standard is besides me while in the same production plant vehicles confirming to newest safety regulations are being made.

It like our govt spending thousands of crores on BULLET TRAINS when HYPER LOOP is doing wonders.

Why cant we start on the HYPER LOOP now and be par with the world when it comes around.

SUPIDITY REIGNS SUPREME

Also japan will not fund our Hyper Loop dreams and beggars cant be choosers as few wise men say.