Sign in to follow this  
Hersch

Dented New Swift's Bootlid? Thin Sheet Metal To Blame!

Hi Friends! Although I like and own a Swift for its perfect value for money appeal, I do have a question to ask all my fellow mates. This is regarding the new shape Swift and the dents commonly seen on its boot.

It so happened that I tried to close the boot of my Swift a couple of days back and incidentally ended up denting the boot sheet metal; the portion of boot above the rear number plate. On closer inspection, I realised that the same is constructed of very thin sheet metal which can easily get dented by simple pressing by bare hands.

Since then, I started observing all new shape Swifts on the roads and their boots and found out that quite a few of them had a dent at the same spot. Maybe their owners committed the same mistake that I did. I just saw a straight out of the showroom condition Swift with a similar dent yesterday as well.

I am also sure that Maruti service stations must be getting a lot of cars with similarly dented boots. If that is the case, is Maruti proactively taking steps to get rid of the problem by maybe installing an internal reinforcement or by using heavy duty sheet metal.

Please share in case you've had a similar experience with a Swift's bootlid.

Also, is there anything that can be done to prevent the incident from reoccurring? Are there any materials available in the market which can be glued/ welded to the sheet metal to provide added strength?

Thanks!

Ammm... I dunno about the Swift!! It seems to have some sort of a handle there! Not the new ones.. The old ones!

But generally speaking, isn't one supposed to shut the boot lid of an hatchback by pushing the glass..?

(Just asking other guys on the forum!)

@hersch maybe welding a X-cross stell member may help reduce the dent but it is a waste of time and money because there is no gurantee that it may occur again. MS will not do any recalls on the part since there is no reliability/ safety issue with the part and it is something "What is see is what you got!". Were as the Punto pre 2012 were having really thick sheet metal but then there was a weight penalty. The 2012 models use thinner sheet metal and the overall car weight has been reduced by 70kgs but it is still better than any car in the segment.

Don't let that dent spoil your ownership and next time handle with care the bootlid.

@Shashank_GTO: Very rightly noticed! The old one had a handle but the new one soesn't have anything like that. The problem is that unknowingly somehow one ends up pushing the boot using the metal portion rather than the glass. I use a Santro too largely for doing monthly groceries and never ever have I faced such an issue with its boot-lid. But anyhow, it seems I need to learn to use the glass portion henceforth; the sooner the better. Your idea cum advice well appreciated Bud and thanks for the same!

@ rssh: I will try and check the X cross shell member as you have suggested and if found useful, would get the same installed. I like the way the Swift drives and handles and have absolutely no complaints as far as the ownership experience is concerned. Many thanks on your advice Brother! Much appreciated!

Comments invited from Swift owners caught in a similar experience and the solution.

I think its the bulge which causes the sheet metal to lose its strength.

I usually use the handle slot inside to pull the hatch door down and then use the handle. Haven't faced any issue as such.

BTW, I have a 2008 model.

But overall, I believe the new swift, though has a better interior, compromises on the sheet metal being used on the rear.

Seen a lot many Swifts and Dzires with very unusual dents where the bumpers are intact but there are wavy dents on the rear doors.

Absolutely correct Neeraj! Most of those dents on the new model are courtesy the push of hands while shutting the boot-lid. The 2008 model had a proper handle but the new one doesn't. Intentionally or unintentionally, one ends up pressing the boot sheet metal for closing the boot which might dent the sheet metal at times. Completely agree on the quality of sheet metal on the boot as pointed out by you. Another grouse is the flimsy quality of side window glasses which Maruti claims is a weight reducing measure. I however disagree! I think its a pure cost cutting initiative; and I for one, would rather have better quality window glasses that the earlier model offered. Would like to know if the same can be retrofitted into the current model? Although Maruti has made certain minor compromises in an effort to keep the costs in control, they have certainly managed to better an already excellent car which provides perfect VFM.

This isn't a big issue with present day cars, specifically Maruti Suzuki, Honda & Toyota cars.

Thinner to thinner(almost tin-can like), lighter to lighter parts are used at places which allow or withstand it, like boot-lid or tail-gate metal sheets or even side front fenders or even doors.

Few Renault Duster owners also complain of such iss

Please share in case you've had a similar experience with a Swift's bootlid.

Also, is there anything that can be done to prevent the incident from reoccurring? Are there any materials available in the market which can be glued/ welded to the sheet metal to provide added strength?

Thanks!

Yes you might have faced the problem based on that reason, as you operated its tail-gate from inappropriate place. Reason being Swift/Dzire(even both new & old) is built with too flimsy & lighter metal sheet as i stated above also.

Sometimes you can come across similar kind of dents on its front bonnet also, as some people use thumb or hand force to silently close it.

Don't try any other measures, like welding metal sheet as neither it can be done also reason being so thin metal sheets can be welded also, if welded from inside welding can spoil the metal sheet's other side & paint also.

Best way is to operate its body parts from right places & for rectification of dent show this damage to Maruti Service center, they might correct it by hand or by any other available means.

IMO why should one push a hatch/ boot lid and get a dent with a hand when closing there is no excuse that it should be closed via handle its is a cost cutting and I can only wonder what will happen if there is a big shunt on the rear.

The boot lid of the old dzire is even worst you can actually bend it with your hand at a few places. I know a guy who 3 year old kid (20kg +) was seated on the bootlid when they visited a dhaba for luch and there was a dent and he never had that problem with his old esteem.

IMO why should one push a hatch/ boot lid and get a dent with a hand when closing there is no excuse that it should be closed via handle its is a cost cutting and I can only wonder what will happen if there is a big shunt on the rear.

The boot lid of the old dzire is even worst you can actually bend it with your hand at a few places. I know a guy who 3 year old kid (20kg +) was seated on the bootlid when they visited a dhaba for luch and there was a dent and he never had that problem with his old esteem.

Agree! Most people usually put stuff on the boot-lid at times and the same should be built strong enough to handle weights of at least about 70kgs (average built adult guy). one way to do it to use a heavy gauge sheet metal (a la Ambi style). Another way to do the same is by adding sub-frame/ endoskeleton to certain body panels which are more prone to such damage.

While waiting at a traffic intersection today, my eyes happened to glance through the MID. Boy O Boy, I sure was in for a BIIIIG Surprise! The MID showed a mileage of 21.1 km/l. The tank was refuelled about 4 days back and since then, the car has been driven for almost 115 kms but the fuel needle just refuses to budge from its position. The sight was reason enough to bring a smile to my face. While I have not been using this car that often, I am having thoughts of doing just the opposite in future.