Sign in to follow this  
Ajit car crazy

SLK & Z4 & TT! The German Trio..

Guys I'm not here now putting a question to takea buying decision as I'm not buying any of the cars u see before clicking on my thread. This is the thread I'm starting here for a clear idea. We all know the rides BMW Z4, MB SLK350, Audi TT & also a Porsche Boxster. Thing is being in India which would be the actual practical pick of the lot. I thought it like this. Either BMW or Merc here makes most sense. tt is simply lower on power compared to others in the segment. Boxster itself is a nice and damn capable car to own but then think we don't get track everyday to drive our cars. Also it sits pretty low so makes is vulnerable to drive on wide variety of Indian tarmac. Also I thought of fuel concern. Porsche recommends using no less than 95 ron for the car which ain't available in India. Ya we can get Speed97 but then again its not always readily available. Cars like Z4, SLK or TT can run fine on 91 ron which we can ge with ease. Then comes another part. The ground clearance and ride height issue.ya for sure no one gonna take these fancy set of wheels off the beaten track. But as I said driving on Indian roads is not always as easy as abroad witg loe ride height. So lil bit more clearance can give u that bit more peace of mind foe driving the car. Also fight is at best between SLK & Z4. I saw the autocar India feature of comparison test between these 2 hotties. Also Autocar chose Z4 over the SLK. But I just wanna say here that over searching other man reviews I found yhat most say SLK350 is by far the most practical roadster in its segment. It has a very good ride height that keeps it away from scraping the underbelly randomly over speed breaker abd bad roads. Z4 ain't too bad but its tad lower than a SLK350. I think Z4 in India has 130 mm of gc. Didn't find number for the SLK350. Anyone know that? So considering all these what should be the pick? I mean to include outright performance, exclusive design, styling and practicality. In a drag race Z4 is just lil quicker than a SLK350. Also its cheaper to buy. any idea why a SLK350 costs 17-18 lacs more than a similar specced Z4 35i?

Pls share your thoughts.

Pardon my ignorance, Z4 is the most uncomfortable crapy car in the comparison. If u are 5'9" or more look at some other car.

SLK by far the most attractive car in this segment and is as you rightly pointed out practical. But some how it sort of does the job not that exciting to drive as a Z4.

Porsche on other hand look brilliant ! Bloody Brilliant. But expensive, everything comes with an add-on price and Boxter S will cost you 93 lakhs Ex-showroom.

The other baby people miss out is Jag XK. 90 lakhs Ex-showroon with a pretty V8 this is the beast in its category. Worth a shout if you ask me.

Ya Sarabjeet u are right. But as I said Porsche is not a practical buy.I know I'm not buying this now but ppl who does so are obviously having a rich garage with many other practical options so nothing really a big mess pol gonna do with a Porsche Boxster. But ya everything u want u gotta pay extra shots for that. I didn't thought of XK as it is very low. Only 100 mm of gc is abysmally low for our conditions. Again same words will eventually come in. No one thinks the ground clearance of these beasts but as I said its the choice of practical roadster for India. SLK obviously ain't as good to hoon around like a Z4 or Porsche. But let's face it..we aren't gonna always have track days and other than that how many roads we have in India to stretch out the whole power of any of these beasts. SLK is only 2 sec slower to hit double tonn than Z4. Who will sit with a Vbox and will only see that?? Rather these are the cars to enjoy the drive. So with a SLK anyone will be more comfy in our conditions. It has the perfect show with go combo for our shore

I think so you guys missed the best car in this segment. The Nissan 370z. A true no nonsense sportscar. That's the one i would have choosen. And as it is available through nissan india, after sales wont be a big problem!

Prasantroxx Nissan doesn't have that brand image like the Germans in India and also ain't as luxurious as others. Also its more of a DK car..remember Tokyo Drift. DK..lol anyway so I think Nissan although a non nonsense sports car shouldn't be the fancy choice. No offence only personal view. Also it needs 2 use 97 octane. Hard to get always so Nissa not concluded. Vote between Z4 & SLK350

Nah it uses the same 3.7 V6 in my infiniti which i use on 91 octane. Luxury very much match the germans, its only the brand image that isnt upto the status. But yes its a no-none sense car.

Between those two, SLK because i fit in lol.

But DK used 350z xD, though as sarabjeet said, it can run on the regular fuel we get in India! And i am 6"1, and was quiet comfortable in that car! Its just that getting out of it was a problem due to low seating :P