neerajd

Ford Classic - Or should I consider any other car?

Hello Friends,

Finally, I'm on the lookout of another car!

I still plan to keep my Swift which has served me very well since the past 6.5 yrs (done 73k on it - no issues)

I'm on a budget here and dont want to spend more than 8.5 lacs *on road.

I've zeroed on the Ford Classic Titanium diesel which fits my bill to a good extent.

Its a proper 3 box, comes with all the safety features but misses heavily on a few good to have features like the steering mounted controls and climatronic AC which are on offer on the sub-4 meter so-called sedans these days. Not a showstopper for me...

I'd like your opinion here - whether to go ahead and get the Classic or look for any other car in the same price bracket?

I'm actually done with the hatch and would like to have a sedan now..

My Use: Primarily to be used as a daily commute to office (40-50 kms daily), wknd trips and a few long drives.

Concerned about:

1. Low on power (68 bhp no turbo) thats what i read online.

2. Boot space only 430 lts - The Hyundai Xcent comes with a 407!

3. Aged now..

Also, I'd like to know if you still get these alloys as an option...

post-3907-0-58556800-1397329905.jpg

i dont like the current ones on offer.

post-3907-0-24385600-1397329907.jpg

check out some compact sedans if long boot is not a very big concern and under your price range you will get a feature loaded vehicle and by the arrival of hyundai xcent , maruti suzuki has also lowered their dzires and ertiga 's prices .

Firstly though the Fiesta look like proper 3 box sedan but it is as cramped inside as todays sub-compacts and the boot is not that large enough. Try the Xcent/amaze or the Manza ( which is proper 3 box) the ford engine is atleast 2 generation behind than the others in the market. Also the Linea classic will fit in your price bracket but nowadays it has only 75bhp diesel engine.

No tata product for me... And I'd like to see the xcent, but I'm not too fond of a sub 4 meter.

I do like the Linea.. But is it reliable with the fiat brand?

I'm going to the Ford showroom in a while.. Will see what offer I get from them. Will try to take a look at the Linea too of the sun let's me be that energetic ;-)

Btw, I did check the lower specs of the duster and terrano.. Don't fall within my range :-( and although I like the ecosport, it's again a sub 4.

Btw, I'm also looking for a Vento from the factory sale. Either a 2013 model or a management used car. Won't have choice of colour but I'll think of it if its a good deal.

Test drove the Ford classic today. The titanium variant goes dangerously close to 9 lacs which is too much for a car that's been around for a decade.

The clxi variant would make more sense at 8 lacs sans the safety list.

I've come across a good Vento which has done only 28k kms with an asking price of 6.5 negotiable... Its a 2011 highline variant. I'm planning to get it within 6 lacs provided the service history and other aspects are clear.

Will keep posting the progress on this.

I'm the meantime, I'm also looking for this option of a company maintained car which comes even below this running around 7 lacs. But that would be a mid spec..

There was an offer Zero interest Vento 2013 model (TOI DELHI), Try out or explore if the offer there.. Just pay down payment and 36 week interest free instalment and no processing fee .

Buying a new car is a gamble (no lemon law) so used car may be a sin.

Test drove the Ford classic today. The titanium variant goes dangerously close to 9 lacs which is too much for a car that's been around for a decade.

The clxi variant would make more sense at 8 lacs sans the safety list.

In which city do you live? In Mumbai the fiesta classic had 1 lakhs discount and free insurance 3 weeks back; thats a direct saving of 1.3 lakhs.

I live in Pune. Need to check if this offer is available here.

And I might just wait until akshay trutiya for any other discount offers on the Ford.

I realized one thing, even if I get the Vento cheap now, it's going to cost me a lot more at maintaining it compared to the classic. And as Mono mentioned in his comment, it's always a gamble to get a seconds.

I read in one of the team bhp threads that a 60k service cost for the classic was abt 6k. Compared to this, the Vento is going to set me back by 12-15k every time.

I'm primarily looking for a good ride, nothing fancy. Only thing is that it should be reliable and comparatively easy to maintain. The only other car I might have considered is the Dzire. But after reading Dr nishu's ownership thread, I don't think it's that easy on the pocket either.. 11k for a 20,000 km service is huge.

Edited by neerajd

No tata product for me... And I'd like to see the xcent, but I'm not too fond of a sub 4 meter.

I do like the Linea.. But is it reliable with the fiat brand?

I'm going to the Ford showroom in a while.. Will see what offer I get from them. Will try to take a look at the Linea too of the sun let's me be that energetic ;-)

Btw, I did check the lower specs of the duster and terrano.. Don't fall within my range :-( and although I like the ecosport, it's again a sub 4.

Dear I think that you have to drop your opinion to buy Hyundai Xcent as it is available with the diamond alloy wheels that you told to neglect. My suggestion to you is Honda Amaze. It is a perfect sedan that competes with Maruti Dzire and also reverts good and affordable response. And as we all know that the Amaze is the car that consumes least diesel. Amaze commits a mileage of 26kmpl (approx). Good interior, good outlooks will also delight you.

Hi Rudra,

I'm actually not looking for anything sub-4 meter.

Hate the Amaze - its a really tiny car with no-good interior design. Xcent - again sub-4 meter. The Amaze has a really loud engine whereas the Xcent comes with a 3 cyl. The only sub-4 meter I may consider is the Dzire... but like I mentioned earlier, its seems like its not that frugal when it comes to maintenance from Dr Nishu's ownership review. Also, I already have a Swift now which I plan to keep.

I test drove the classic yesterday and have liked it. Reading ownership reviews, it turns out to be a frugal car with good dynamics.

@neeraj, since you have already ruled out CS and no Tata/Mahindra then choice under 8.5 lacs on road for a diesel sedan is quite limited.

I think it should then either Ford Classic or Toyota Etios.

Classic is a good car with very good dynamics, good interiors but comparatively less rear space/boot and a bit aged now.

Etios is a simple looking car with lots of space but you may not like the interiors.

Maintenance wise Etios will be lot cheaper to maintain.

However, if you can do away with boot then you may lookout for premium hatchback like i20 (new one coming later in the year) or Honda Jazz (that again is a bit far away).

I think I will consider the Etios.. thats a car I had not considered at all. Thanks Sachin.

And I don't think the i20 would be frugal.

There is a need to close before the end of next month as I want a car before the onset of monsoons. Else, I'd have held back until the Jazz. Nov 2014 is when the Ford Figo CS comes in too... but waiting until then wont serve the purpose I'm currently looking to fulfill.

If you are OK with end of life product, considering you are eyeing the Classic , how about the SX4 ?

SX4 isa proper sedan and now available at a huge discount .

Also , how about a MPV like the Enjoy , again available at a discount of 1L for a diesel variant .

Also Quanto can be looked at , its compact but it has loads of space inside.

Edited by librankur

@ankur, I'm planning to visit Toyota and Maruti both :)

I need a diesel of course so need to see if that kind of discount is available on the SX4. I'll be okay with a VDi variant as well if it comes within the 8.5 on road bracket I have.

As I said earlier, I'm also waiting for the akshay trutiya discounts to be rolled out. Lets see..

Hi SX4 is white elephant, under power car (90) and above to die. I guess you should not compromise with ABS at least. We the people who can bring the change or revolution by promoting safety features.

Explore Toyota Etios (2014) which may be a better choice among the segment.

I do want safety features and that's the reason I'm more inclined toward the classic. The etios gd sp variant comes with abs and airbags.. Will see how much that car would cost me. Not a fan looks wise. But the face-lift must make it likable.

Neeraj as you are from Pune be assured you will get the best FIAT after sales service. I bet it is better than other car companies. Pandit Auto, Bavdhan service center is doing exceptionally

Well job.

I own Punto 90HP, Palio S10 & owned Punto 1.2 Emotion as well and all cars serviced at Pandit Auto since 2011. I am extremely happy with their service and after break up with TATA there is much improvement in already best service support.

Rahul Jadhav is service manager and he is very supportive.

Yes FIAT Linea is reliable car and cheaper to maintain if you compare it with other cars in its segment.

You can check out old Linea (pre facelift) stock and you may get mouthwatering discount and there is chance that you may get Emotion Diesel variant close to 8-9 lakhs on road with all bells and whistle.

Remember Linea Emotion (Topend) available with 16” 205 profile, auto wipers, auto headlights, Blue & Me, Steering mounted controls, ABS + EBD, Airbags etc.

For FIAT I would recommend you Pandit Auto sales and service support.

Also check discounts on new Ford Fiesta there might be some stock clearance discount going on.

I had very bitter experience with Ford Figo car and the dealership Ford India / Mody Ford, Begumpet, Hyderabad. the regular service costs a lot ad body work is absurdly high priced and top it off the service center is very unfriendly in comparison to other Indian Brands. My ordeal with Ford India started when the engine of the car itself gave away after just 36000kms. Though we bought the extended warranty the Ford India unreasonably denied the warranty attributing the problem as our negligence. I called the Ford India but as any one can figure it out it was a typical corporate wait and a denial which followed. All in all my experience with Ford left bitter taste in my mouth. I believe they are more interested in selling cars than establishing standards or customer trust. it is a car indeed with poor engine and bad after service. I bought the car for my dad who is an elderly man and Ford India had failed us. My recommendation do not buy any vehicle that is of FORD.

Thanks for the info kedar. I'll check out if I can get any pre face-lift Linea Emotion. Though I feel those stocks must be depleted by now.

And i don't think the face-lift mid variant diesel will fall within my bracket. The Linea classic plus costs around 8.75 on road

@Kamal.. sorry to hear your story.. Actually even I did not get good vibes from the Sales Rep at the Ford dealership. Looked uninterested - though he offered me a test drive for the Classic.

@Kedar.. i've called up all 3 dealerships in Pune and 2 came back saying they don't have 2013 stocks. The one in Chinchwad is offering me the Linea Classic Plus for 8 lacs on road and there is still a chance to negotiate a little more on that.

I've also approached Pandit Auto in Model Colony, Pune. They're yet to come back on the details. If I get a Dynamic or an Emotion variant on the 2013 model, it should be good as both have the safety features I'm looking for - Dynamic will give me at least ABS.

Neeraj talk to Gurnain Kapoor 9881716361 & give my reference.

You can call me on &&(*)$!!$$. Linea facelift basic variant is also very well equipped car. Do check if it fits in your criteria.

Thanks kedar. They confirmed about an Oceanic Blue Emotion variant from the 2013 stock but that costs 9.75 on road even after the 1 lac discount. Thats a whopping 1.25 lacs over my budget. Only if there was a Dynamic variant :rolleyes:

The Classic really fits into my budget and comes with ABS. I'm planning to TD it this Sat.