neerajd

Ford Classic - Or should I consider any other car?

You will be happy with Linea Classic as it has good initial pick up thanks to smaller wheels and FGT Multijet Engine (75hp) which generated power at lower RPMs.

Linea Classic is more drivable and offer decent amount of features.

Linea Emotion offers much more than Classic and tons of features than its rivals at lower price. 9.75 lakh for Linea Emotion Multijet is drooling offer and every single penny is worth for Linea Emotion.

Linea Emotion gets

90HP Multijet VGT Diesel Engine.

Leather upholstery.

ABS & dual stage airbags.

205 55 16 Profile tyres with segments best design alloy wheels

6 speakers with voice assist music system.

Auto Headlights & Auto Wipers

Rich and top class interiors with n number of features.

If I am not wrong price difference is around 1.5 lakh which is around Rs. 2000 difference in EMI. If you bargain a bit then you may get good deal as well.

Which dealer you are approaching? Which dealer has this Linea in stock? Let me know and I will talk to them to work out some more discount for you.

I would have selected Linea Emotion than Linea Classic.

Forgot to mention about the

1. Center arm rest with rear AC vent, rear seat arm rest with cup holders.
  2. Chrome ascents all over the car.
  3. Fog lights.
  4. Foldable desmodronic key with remote central lock to unlock the car and boot.
  5. Segment’s best instrument cluster.
  6. Leather wrapper steering wheel and gear knob.
  7. Power door locks
  8. Automatic climate control.

This offer is from Pandit Automotive Model Colony Kedar.

If i get this price down by another 50k, this would be a sweet deal. I'm okay with the Oceanic Blue color too. Like you said, its a much better deal if compared to the Classic which saves me about 1.6 lacs.

The Linea Classic is too stripped down although it offers more size for the money.

Hope FIAT stay in India another few years and give you service next five years with decent maintenance cost including availability of the spare parts; if so than not a bad deal. I know couple of guys who having Fiat and happy with service and car.

Please do share objectively or logically conclusion of zero down car.

I am far from narrow down my car of choice as there is none in market which is customised my need.

I haven't TDd it yet. Plan to go over a Saturday. Today was election holiday all over.

Like I said, Linea is too stripped for the price.. The show is only to the world.. Inside you get nothing.

On the other hand, I'm more inclined toward the Fiesta classic when I consider the titanium variant. It's a lot of car I get for the price. The only known con, it'll be discontinued next year when Ford comes with its Figo sub 4 meter. And i guess that'll come with a lower spec of the 1.5 from the new Fiesta..

Buying a car isn't that easy after all! :mellow:

Buying a car isn't that easy after all! :mellow:

How true !

Well said.

If you permit me, To refine it further ....

Finding a suitable car is the most difficult part.

Buying it is the easiest part, then.

True Ramesh sir.

I'm in serious dilemma on the Ford classic. Wats the poll on a model being discontinued vs a stripped down car?

Or should I just defer my purchase by a few months, gather some more money and go for a segment higher?

Don't worry much about parts problem since the Figo is the chopped form of the Fiesta itself and maintenance parts are easy to come by and I think since Fiesta has had a good success the body parts will be available for atleast 7 years to come after its discontinued.

Also test drive Etios but I wouldn't recommend buying one as it doesn't have build quality of either of them but take a TD to assure yourself about its safety/fit n finish.

Yeah.. I know Etios' fit n finish isn't that great.. And I won't be enthused on the thought of driving it to office daily either.

Its only the Fiesta Classic that'll put a smile to my face - I know it.

I actually like the dimensions of the Classic. Perfect for a city spin and enough grunt on the highway. I'm not someone who likes to take the car to its limits.

I'll be keeping my Swift too so I don't want something that'll seat 5 comfortably or squeeze in that 6th. I can always take 2 cars. I guess its the Ford Classic for me.

I'll just time the booking with Akshay Tritiya to get some discounts. If I get this in about 8.4 to 8.5 on road.. nothing like it.

Dear Neerajd,

It is better to avoid Vento from your choices. There are maintenance issues which are pocket burning. Spare costs are also very high. The engine oil sump is very low and there is no substantial guard plate to protect it from minor bumps, hence it leads to cease of engine due to oil leakage. If you are trying for second hand Ventos, then do check for service record thoroughly.

Toyota Etios, it is a perfect 5 person accommodating sedan. It is spacious and has excellent driveabilty. Also you will get reliable toyota service too. But Etios has serious NVH issues and the engine is difficult to be revved beyond 3200rpm. Interiors are look very basic and you may not like the dashboard setup. You will miss climate control AC.

Fiat Linea Classic, You will get a proper three box sedan with some beautiful curves around. Excellent handling and a strong build car. The Classic + variant makes no compromise on safety issues. But the AC is not climate control. All your woes regarding Fiat has been addressed by kdar.90HP.

For Rs.8.5 lacs, you're having many options.

But stay away from Ford Classic as its an age-old product with dated engine, mechanicals, poor market value & market reputation. Its reliability record is also not so good, instead a used Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCi is better than it in many respects.

Keen on hardcore non 4m sedan, rather than new Ford Classic, i'd say Mahindra Verito is better.

or you should take a plunge in sub-4 m compact sedans & there's nothing bad in it anything either now since many good looking CS cars are there in the market which offers the same level of space, performance & practicality in them with using much road footprint & precious fuel.

Hi Rudra,

I'm actually not looking for anything sub-4 meter .

Hate the Amaze - its a really tiny car with no-good interior design. Xcent - again sub-4 meter. The Amaze has a really loud engine whereas the Xcent comes with a 3 cyl. The only sub-4 meter I may consider is the Dzire... but like I mentioned earlier, its seems like its not that frugal when it comes to maintenance from Dr Nishu's ownership review. Also, I already have a Swift now which I plan to keep.

I test drove the classic yesterday and have liked it. Reading ownership reviews, it turns out to be a frugal car with good dynamics.

:) Still not a matter of worry who drive alot.

Service costs of every other diesel cars have increased over the period of time both because of inflation as well as technological upgradations.

If one car saves few grands at its service, one has to pay at other end say service costs of Honda Amaze are half of my Dzire but for saving few grands you're getting a noisy ride daily & similarly for Toyota Etios you save few grands at the cost of quality.

But in Dzire, you get simply everything you Desire from a Rs.7-8 lacs car. Be it a Refinement, Driving pleasure, Ride quality, Reliability, Spare parts availability & costs(not service), fuel efficiency of somewhere around 21.5kmpl(mine ZDi Dzire).

One thing which i've experience in my Dzire ZDi is(maybe a Pro or a con) but that's is its ride height which is relatively on higher side as compared to Dzire VDi which runs on smaller, lower 165/80 R14 tyres as compared to mine ZDi's taller & wider 185/65R15.

Its not a bad car, instead its a best seller & is a current best selling too bought with a brain.

My neighbor have also brought one i.e Silver Dzire VDi & few other friends in my circle do owns it.

or have a look at New Hyundai Xcent Diesel & share your reviews with us.

But stay away from Ford Classic as its an age-old product with dated engine, mechanicals, poor market value & market reputation. Its reliability record is also not so good, instead a used Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCi is better than it in many respects.

I guess its the same engine that the Ikon uses. Also, the Figo shares the same unit. And how would a completely discontinued used car prove to be better than something which is in production? The Fiesta Classic will remain in production for at least another 2 years.

Talking about resale, I'm not too concerned as I'll be keeping the car for good use. Also, I got a very different story on OLX - used diesel Fiesta sells for anywhere between 4.5 lacs to 7 lacs (~50k kms done) - Thats not bad!!

I test drove the Linea Classic and Ford Classic back to back today. Here's how I'd sum it up:

Linea Classic Plus:

On Road - 8.54 lacs - after doscount - 8.06 lacs

Service intervals - 15,000 kms

Warranty - 3 yrs or 1,00,000 kms (additional warranty can be purchased 5 yrs or 1,50,000)

Features -

• ABS with EBD
  • 4 power windows (but not all 4 can be controlled by the driver) - no window roll down lock either. Auto roll down on all 4.
  • AC
  • CD MP3 with FM - no USB
  • Internally adjustable mirrors - powered would have helped considering the width of the car
  • Tilt adjustable steering
  • 500 lts of boot space (really cavernous)
  • General chrome bits and body colored door handles and mirrors to differentiate from the base variant
  • 74 bhp engine

How'd it feel? Well, clutch is really smooth for a diesel - but the travel is too long. Acceptable for highway driving but a little tedious in city driving - maybe you just need to get used to it.

Pickup - Sluggish - did not really like it.

Drive - Smooth and well insulated. Could not hear the engine even at 20 kmph - could go around in the 2nd gear at that speed. Steering gives good feedback but overall drive a bit lethargic. A pillar will take a lot of getting used to. I drive a Swift and this was even worse.

Cabin Feel - Too hard plastics. Bits of beige splashes around the cabin give it a good feel. Center console really interferes when driving and intrudes on the knees on the co-passenger too. Otherwise a big car. Good front seats. Rear space decent. But the rear seat is a bit too upright - under thigh support really good - passengers in the rear won't mind long journeys. AC does not chill. we drove for about 10-15 mins and the AC wasn't able to chill the cabin. This car had only one 241 kms on the odo.

Verdict - Basically its a Linea with a 2005 Swift VXi feature list - 4 power windows (the Swift can control all 4 and also lock the windows from rolling), central locking, basic MP3 player (no USB) and ABS. With the chrome accents on the nose and body colored door handles and mirrors, its more of a show to the world and "baba ji ka thullu" on the inside B) Not all that bad if you're on budget.

Ford Classic Titanium:

On Road - 8.85 lacs - after doscount - 8.62 lacs

Service intervals - 10,000 kms

Warranty - 3 yrs or 1,00,000 kms

Features -

• ABS with EBD
  • Airbags
  • 4 power windows with window lock - I think all have auto roll down too.
  • AC
  • CD MP3 with FM & USB - gets phone connectivity + bluetooth streaming
  • Internally adjustable powered mirrors
  • Smart Defogger - cuts off automatically after 10 mins - saves your sun films from burning.
  • Front and rear fog lamps
  • 430 lts of boot space
  • 14" Alloys
  • 68 bhp engine (a generation older when compared to Fiat's)
  • Electric boot release
  • Boot release on key fob
  • Center armrest with 2 cup holders
  • Driver seat height adjust
  • Tilt adjustable steering

How'd it feel? Slung a bit lower than the Linea. Overall dimensions shy of the Linea too. Does not give that big-car feel when you sit into the drivers seat and look around. Nevertheless, very well put-together cabin. Not as solid as the Linea's but comparable. Beige can get spoiled and will be a task to keep clean - esp during monsoons.

Pickup - Comparable to Linea's but a bit quicker.

Drive - Well insulated cabin, manages to keep almost all noise outside. Can hear the clutter of the diesel at cold start but once the engine warms up, you can hardly tell inside. Very inspiring drive, composed at high speeds - very good visibility of the road. Touched 110-120 kmph and it did that with ease. Good braking too. Comfortable than Linea in terms of seating position. Rear space a little less than the Linea but seat recline much more comfortable. Center armrest feels of better quality than of the Linea's.

Cabin Feel - Mirrors could show a little more of what's happening behind you (maybe I just compare with the Swifts) Electrically adjustable is a boon. IRVM has good coverage. Although there are no steering controls for the entertainment system, all important buttons are well within reach. Volume button a touch too sensitive. Music quality good. Large bottle holders on the front 2 doors. Bonnet release at a very unconventional place - at the passengers foot-well but none of a concern. Illuminated glove box a nice touch.

I always drive in AC. The window locks come into play when you have passengers resting their elbow and accidentally rolling down the windows and especially kids in the rear. I would start with my family soon and would like to have this feature. Its more of safety. The leather seat covers which come in the accessory list are amazing and do give the rich feel.

Verdict - Seems like an equal, if not an upgrade from the Swift on the handling department. Handles amazingly well with very good grip. Insulation quite good. Features are very good compared to the asking price. A dated design but its more car when I compare that to the 8.68 of the Dzire ZDi. Maintenance costs comparable to the Figo's (~4k) Service intervals of 10,000 kms.

For the price bracket I'm looking for, the Fiesta ticks all boxes with the downside of being a car about 8 yrs old. I wouldn't mind going for it. Any other car like the Verna or the City, the price shoots up drastically to about 10.5 for a mid-spec diesel.

I'd be happy with a Fiesta Classic I guess ;)

Hey Neeraj

Think twice if not twenty time before you leap; Wonder nothing addressed about Etios, Sunny and Scalla do explore couple of days more before you sign the deal of Classic.

I am eagerly waiting as your decision will influence mine too.

I know I'm not going to buy the Etios. Not looking for a family sedan with poor interiors and quality.

Also, Scala and Sunny diesels are way beyond my 8.5 on road budget. But I'll sure check those out of they are running any discounts. I'll prefer the Scala over Sunny anytime... If at all..

Sunny and Scala go way beyond 9.5 lacs for a diesel variant. Won't be possible for me to stretch that far. And then that price goes into the Ecosport where I can then opt for a mid trim.

Does not make sense.

I'm not looking for a chauffeur driven car.

Saw the Etios. Inside, apart from the dashboard, things just look fine. Build quality is not something to talk about.. A segment lower than the price you pay for the car. Seats are too thin and not all that comfortable.

Dashboard looks pathetic.. No offence to anyone who owns one here.. But I'm not too fond of a center console. Only the driver needs to know wat speeds he's doing and how much fuel is left.

Doors are too tinny, does not give a solid feel like the Linea or the ford classic.

Exterior design a bit odd to my taste. Door handles look super cheap. My zen had better ones.

So Scala, Sunny, Etios, Desire, Amaze, and Xcent out from the list. One more company left to explore GM's and its Sail. Just try out Sail's test drive to leave no stone unturned. We all will develop an excel sheet of SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Threat) .

Neeraj if you want I can do something for you to get some more discount. IMO Linea will be better choice than the Classic as Linea looks great and is proper sedan with low maintanance cost.

With 75hp Multijet Linea Classic is more drivable in City and decent mileage overall. Why dont you checkout Linea facelift basic or mid variant, I am sure it is in your budget.

@monoclonal: Sail's interiors are way cheap. I won't even consider it. Not sure if you're sarcastic here B)

@kedar: Like I mentioned in my Linea Classic vs Ford Classic review on the last page, Linea Classic is too stripped for its price. There is nothing more that it offers than my current Swift that'll tilt the balance in its favor.

I'll give you a call tomorrow to talk over it.

Nope!! I am serious, nothing wrong to explore every car with open mind, as its matter of hard earn Indian Rupees one million.

Day before yesterday I saw parked out side my office a SAIL and later seen older review @ Autocar India. Autocar India had modest review. I am in search for a car from ages and settle down on none, so I am active participating in your discussion; may able to select one car.

I guess its the same engine that the Ikon uses. Also, the Figo shares the same unit. And how would a completely discontinued used car prove to be better than something which is in production? The Fiesta Classic will remain in production for at least another 2 years.

Talking about resale, I'm not too concerned as I'll be keeping the car for good use. Also, I got a very different story on OLX - used diesel Fiesta sells for anywhere between 4.5 lacs to 7 lacs (~50k kms done) - Thats not bad!!

I test drove the Linea Classic and Ford Classic back to back today. Here's how I'd sum it up:

Ikon TDCi was & Figo is considerably lighter than Fiesta using the same powerplant, also Fiesta's extra boot & luggage section made same engine to lug relatively more kerb weight which ended in blunt performance & compromised reliability.

Also another fact was that Fiesta always got 1.4 TDCi imported CBU engine initially, which made the perception of expensive maintenance while the same 'made in India' engine came into existence much later with relative improvements & it was introduced first into Ikon 1.4 TDCi which gave it another new lease of life & test run for the engine, later on which proved even MORE RELIABLE & OFFERED BETTER DRIVEABILITY due to Ikon's more better dynamics & ergonomics. Hence Ikon offered more bang for money even within same set of resources. Ikon was much more of driver's car than Fiesta or this Driver involving factor element has gone decreasing everytime with its subsequent generations.

Later on in Ikon which was discontinued as it was unable to meet BS-IV norms & Ford refused to invest on it due to its soared demand.

Resale of Ford Fiesta in poor in our region, though.

And how would a completely discontinued used car prove to be better than something which is in production?

It happened more than one time in India, another prime example is Old-Zen vs Zen estilo(you being a former's owner & might know this better), previous Alto vs Alto 800.

Btw, I can understand your dilemma, driving any Ford car for once makes a long lasting impression & makes you feel fan & addicting of it even after driving my friend's Ford Ikon TDCi for a short distance makes me feel what i'm driving(about my cars).

So once you drive a Ford, you heart will always say FORD FORD FORD, so i'll not gonna change you mindset regarding that & neither i can. lol.

Pitting Ford against its Non sub-4m competitors like Linea Classic or Verito, neither can give you good re-sale in the end nor either of them can make eyebrows stand that you brought a YES ! car.

So, its all about your satisfaction, so choose wisely what your pocket & mind says as ultimately both of these gonna make you retain your car for a period of time.

One thing i wanna add, there's nothing thing to be called Sub-4m or Non 4m car in this segment & please don't be too much fastedious about this fact as it doesn't matter too much either when you get everything correct in one package. Instead sub-4m's are more driveable in Urban conditions.

I'd still say, do check out Hyundai Xcent, its worth to check it out than Etios.

Personally there is no merit in drooling over a decade old vehicle, dont consider it to be an antique buy ,where the value of the antique goes on increasing over time.

How would it feel to have a vehicle that looks 10 year old on the day of your purchase.

BOTTOM LINE - Think about a newer vehicle.

Neeraj,

I do not agree with your almost-made-decision of buying a 8 year old model.

I have known a couple of guys who own Ford Ikons who are finding it difficult

to maintain their cars, thanks to the short supply of parts (despite being very

close to Chennai, where Ford is based).

Think about it seriously.

It would be prudent and wise to buy a new model which can have at least 10

more years of serviceable life than going in for a 10-year-old model which is

at the fag end of it's life (not withstanding the various bells and whistles that

are part of that model).

Why do you buy a car for, other than the basic need of transport ?

Comfort to start with ? Or, prolonged use with no-headaches ?

On these counts, I personally prefer you to consider a recently launched

model from well established company. I do not suggest any make or a model

for the simple reason, that you are very very particular about them.

So, choose wisely. After all, you would not spend 8 lakhs every now and then.