Hitlerinlove

True synthetic oil in India for 1.3 ddis engine

As per new circular of maruti suzuki ,it has been recommended to use 5w 40 grade synthetic oil in the internationally famous 1.3 ddis deisel engine instead of mineral oil in the new lot of suzuki cars including ertiga, new dzire , SX4 etc with oil change interval of 10,000 kms.

Here it creates a confusion in my mind as to which oil is truly synthetic? I have read forums on internet which claim that castrol syntec or edge are not real synthetics as they have been processed from same hydrocarbons as mineral oil and only contain additives and even mobil1 is no exception.

The manipulation of the word synthetic oil started after castrol won a legal battle involving use of this word in advertisements and this changed the entire scenario of terming oils as synthetics as per information available on internet forums.

I want to seek advice on this topic. Any help will be appreciated.

1.3 DDiS B) internationally it is 1.3 Multijet engine from FIAT PowerTrain (FPT).

I would suggest you to continue to use semi synthetic oil from Shell or Mobile1 & change your car’s engine oil at 10,000.

I own Punto 90HP and I change engine oil at every 7,500kms with semi synthetic oil.

Castrol Magnetic and Selenia (Fiat) are semi-synthetic oils and cost about 400-500 per litre and imo are sufficient for Indian Conditions. The pure Synthetic for Diesel that I have used is Mobil Devlac 1 and it costed me 750/litre but nowadays most synthetic oil are costing 800-900/litre.

For 1.3 multijet engine you need around 3.2 litres and the oil change interval for normal mineal oil is around 10k kms and for synthetic ideally is 15k kms.

As per Maruti circular they want to extend the service km's by 2500km but the end customer (that is us) will need to pay 3 times the price of oil; net more profits for service centre.

I use Castrol Magnatec 5w40 on my Fiat Palio petrol. Selenia is the OE engine oil that i use in my Linea and Punto. Castrol Magnatec is perfect for Indian conditions as suggested by rssh.

Synthetic / semi synth Engine oils should be changed at an interval of 13000 - 15000 kms.

Thats a fine piece of advice but to avoid warranty issues we have to adhere by the company's recommended interval of 10k kms and i believe thats fine. My other doubt is what oil is being used by dealerships in stock drums. They are charging around rs 1250 per litre for oil that comes in drums and i don't trust at all that the drums cannot tempered with. Its just open oil which they claim to be mobil1 . I personally feel dissatisfied at use of such oil.

I asked the authorized dealership to provide a closed packing and they denied and later told me that they will check emergency stock for availability when i come for oil change. I haven't tried this but are you allowed to source your own oil at authorized dealerships?

Things would have been much easier if OEMs installed an Oil Quality Monitor in each vehicles, that would atleast put and end to the question WHEN.

WHICH one has already been discussed in detail .

1250/litre is just too much Maruti ain't cheap anymore. Aftermarket you get mobile devlac 1 easliy for 900 (subject to availablility). This is a dream for service centres ;they buy synthetic oil drums in bulk for 700/litre and sell a 550 bucks/litre profit.

Thats about 1800 for about 3.5 litre in profit alone for 1 multijet engine.

@hitlerinlove I would advice you to not take extended warranty coz in paid service will cost in region of 8k alone.

Once I used Mobile 1 Delvac and then Shell Ultra fully synthetic diesel engine oil and a can of 4 liter was priced around Rs. 4000 so Rs. 1000/liter.

These 2 engine oil are the world’s best diesel engine oil with high drain interval.

Thanks for expressing concern and for your precious views. So is anybody aware about the dealership policy of sourcing your own oil if you don't get it in closed packing at authorized dealerships.

I have mailed my query to MSIL regarding their policy on the engine oil recommendations and distribution system and also their policy on outsourcing oil if dissatisfied with the authorized service centre.

i am waiting for their reply. i shall disclose the same as soon as i get one and if thats a relevant reply.

Thanks for expressing concern and for your precious views. So is anybody aware about the dealership policy of sourcing your own oil if you don't get it in closed packing at authorized dealerships.

It depends on dealership tp dealership and IMO no dealer provide engine oil from their canisters.

Better to call and ask the service advisor before going in for service.

Castrol Magnatec 5w40 for Fiat Palio Stile slx (Petrol) costs me 3500 /- for a 4L cannister.

IMO not all Castrol magnetec are Full Synthetics some are semi-synthetic as well . Castrol Magnetec Professional 5W40 is fully synthetic were as the one you and I am using is semi-synthetic.

Hitler, why don't you ask the MASS about your issue. I'm sure they have some answer to this one :)

My friend , i would not have started this thread if MASS would have given me a satisfactory answer. Moreover, there are many friends who are unaware of the oil factor. If this thread reaches a fruitful conclusion , it may be helpful to many who have similar questions in mind. The quality of experience and service varies by a big difference from a merc to maruti. So i feel this discussion wont be vainless. I am thankful for your opinion, i will appreciate more if you can share something from your valuable experience. Thanku friend.

I have got a reply from MSIL and they have quoted following:

Refferred to your query we would like to inform you that:

1. Recommended engine oil grade for Ertiga is 5W40 (Castrol, Mobil, Petronas).

2. Cost of 5W40 engine oil recommedned at MSIL authorized service centres is Rs. 625/- per litre.

3. Packing of oil is available both in barrel (drum) as well as in sealed cans.

4. Customers are not encouraged to souce the any spare part/lubricant from market. It has direct impact on warranty of vehicles. In case customer vehicle is under warranty period and he is using local parts/lubricants then the warranty stands null on related parts/vehicle systems.

Amount of adulteration in the market the oil makers recommends that you buy the oil only from the dealers(dealers address from the oil maker's website). The synthetic is only useful for the air compressors where heavy carbonization of the suction valves were completely avoided and synthetic oil was a boon. So apart from getting 50% extra mileage for the twice costly oil, isn't worth.

My friend , i would not have started this thread if MASS would have given me a satisfactory answer. Moreover, there are many friends who are unaware of the oil factor. If this thread reaches a fruitful conclusion , it may be helpful to many who have similar questions in mind. The quality of experience and service varies by a big difference from a merc to maruti. So i feel this discussion wont be vainless. I am thankful for your opinion, i will appreciate more if you can share something from your valuable experience. Thanku friend.

I'm using 5W-40 Shell Rotella - Full Synthetic for my Merc

I have got a reply from MSIL and they have quoted following:

Refferred to your query we would like to inform you that:

1. Recommended engine oil grade for Ertiga is 5W40 (Castrol, Mobil, Petronas).

2. Cost of 5W40 engine oil recommedned at MSIL authorized service centres is Rs. 625/- per litre.

3. Packing of oil is available both in barrel (drum) as well as in sealed cans.

4. Customers are not encouraged to souce the any spare part/lubricant from market. It has direct impact on warranty of vehicles. In case customer vehicle is under warranty period and he is using local parts/lubricants then the warranty stands null on related parts/vehicle systems.

Hmm! 625 seems to be a Maruti(ish) Stuff. Good that you are getting the recommended oil from the MSIL itself.

Hope your query is now solved :)

So that is the price of semi synthetic oil but most service center will exploit saying that they don't have semi-synthetic and you will be forced to use full synthetic at ridiculous rates.