harikkuttan

Safety Equipments: How much effective

What are the most required safety features and equipments and when are these required ?

Other optional safety features and benefits and how to use ?

How much these are effective in Indian roads ?

Do you believe Indian cars lacks in safety features and why ?

Do the road safety lie only in the hands of car driver and car manufacturer ? (?? RTO)

Kindly answer honestly. This will help me to decide my new car

regards

post-7692-0-25426700-1399961390.pngpost-7692-0-78327600-1399961393.jpg

Images source: Google

OK some good question there :) Will try my best to answer them

What are the most required safety features and equipments and when are these required ?

These has to be the ABS and Airbags,

ABS(Antilock Braking System) prevents the wheels from locking up and allows the wheels to maintain tractive control with the road surface.

Airbags, Simply prevents any severe injuries to bodies when they strike objects such as the steering wheel or a window. It will operate only when the Front, back and Side of the body collide with some exterior object.

The traction Control, Same as the ABS helps prevent losing tractive control with the road surface. It is generally offered on high end cars

TBH, even with these equipments in your cars you are not very safe in our conditions. So, I say Drive safe.

Yes, IMO it's due to reduce the cost of vehicles, A car without ABS and Airbags costs about For Eg - 5L but the same model with ABS costs about 30-40k more and With airbags it will cost 1L more. But I do think these should be included in all type of cars in India especially.

Do the road safety lie only in the hands of car driver and car manufacturer ? (?? RTO)

IMO it's only in the hand of Drivers. Driving drunk and using Mobile phones are some common cause for road accidents.

I feel LeoRahi has answered your questions to satisfaction. I agree with his reply. ABS should be made compulsory in present scenario as it enhances the steering control to a great extent.

ABS also has its drw backs. Its due to poor construction quality of roads with loose gravel and pot holes. Example : ABS is anti locking braking system, it wont lock your brakes and car doesnt skid under hard braking and you can maneuver the vehicle and escape accident. BUT if there is loose gravel on road or you hit a pothole or one tyre is on kaccha portion of road, ABS will work decrasing the stopping distance of vehicle and chance of hitting increases.

CRASH TEST: There is a responsibilty on part of manufacturers also . You can find an article on internet about major companies cars failing crash tests in india. Its again a big ?

DRIVER: Human role is significant. LeoRahi has mentioned drunken driving already so wont mention same things. Obtaining driving license without proper channel is a big reason for ignorant and unaware drivers on load, a direct threat to other commuters. Plus they remove the head rests on car seats for style but doesnt know how fatal that activity is.

In short they cannot predict the consequences of their acts.

The list is endless , lets other enlightened minds contribute.

Kindly answer honestly. This will help me to decide my new car

regards

OK some good question there :) Will try my best to answer them

These has to be the ABS and Airbags,

ABS(Antilock Braking System) prevents the wheels from locking up and allows the wheels to maintain tractive control with the road surface.

Airbags, Simply prevents any severe injuries to bodies when they strike objects such as the steering wheel or a window. It will operate only when the Front, back and Side of the body collide with some exterior object.

The traction Control, Same as the ABS helps prevent losing tractive control with the road surface. It is generally offered on high end cars

TBH, even with these equipments in your cars you are not very safe in our conditions. So, I say Drive safe.

Yes, IMO it's due to reduce the cost of vehicles, A car without ABS and Airbags costs about For Eg - 5L but the same model with ABS costs about 30-40k more and With airbags it will cost 1L more. But I do think these should be included in all type of cars in India especially.

IMO it's only in the hand of Drivers. Driving drunk and using Mobile phones are some common cause for road accidents.

I agree fully with Leorahi. Less ego on road is preferred. Night driving with headlamp low beam, especially when traffic from opposite side is present. Follow speed limits. Most of the accident will happen from behind, your car may be having ABS but the car behind you may not be having ABS or driven by an idiot. So if you apply brakes you would stop but car behind you, who was always too close to your car, will bang you. As per traffic rules the person hitting from behind is at fault and liable to pay Rs350.

Have you ever noticed, a high end car driver, esp. chauffeur driven, will always accelerate very slow and brakes very slow because he know the cost of the damages are too high.

Almost everything being answered by LeoRahi. However, just to add to the point about Do indian cars lack safety... I should say they do lack severely because of the fact that indian customer wants higher FE and to achieve that even the basic safety feature to any car is it body shell - which now days getting thinner and thinner due to improve FE figures.

It was a very nice and acceptable response from LeoRahi . Generally ABS is associated antagonistically with the dampness of the roads. Long drive roads are mostly rubberized ( tar/ dhamor based). Will they function properly on damp concrete roads . did any one felt locking of the brakes while in heavy traffic and do it make sense with ABS. I am trying to focus on ABS (time sake)

Please give reply

Brakes with ABS first of all makes driver ti steer the car even when the brakes are applied with complete force & this does makes alot of difference in bumper to bumper city trafic as well as on highways.

However you doesn't get braking bite like non-ABS brakes but braking is more sure-footed plus Brake force distribution is also much better to each wheel under different tarmac conditions due to EBD(Electronic brake force distribution) accompanied with ABS.

@ dr_nishu Thanks for the reply. the purpose of ABS I am looking forward is for long route speed (~100 km/hr) as well as bumper to bumper traffic. with ABS is there a chance that the vehicle continue moving while the brake is completely pressed, in heavy traffic, with speed ~ 5-15 km/hr. I have experinced this with vehicle without ABS. however I manage this by using clutch-gear-clutch technic.

and what exactly is locking( the wheel or brake) and how does ABS help in bumper to bumper traffic.

Even with ABS and Air Bags you are not safe, but you cannot think always that you are not safe. I have an ABS in my Swift petrol. I feel it is very much needed, since driving on Delhi roads is worse, But it does its job pretty well Yeah i do have to remind you of one thing, ABS do sometimes tends to fail during bumper to bumper traffic, since the Electronic circuit box box gets confused. It happens in every ABS system vehicle since the traffic condition is very Heavy, But it is a least concern to worry.

Airbags and especially in Indian cars, will only and only open when you are driving and you collide with some exterior element with a suitable amount of force, It wont open if your car is standing or is idle and some exterior element bangs your car from rear.

My friend had to be admitted in the hospital because a truck rammed his Verna from behind even though he was driving at 30 kmph. [ Due to safety he bought a 6 air bag version Verna, and it never opened]

In my opinion if you really want safety then Go for a car which has a solid body Like The VW,FIAT,Skoda. These Europeans have a body like a tank, I still Remember when i banged my palio with an Indica. It was a head on collision and Honestly speaking nothing happened to the car[ Only the Bumper fell off and the passenger side light was broken, everything else was perfect].

For safety first one should wear a seat belt then the vehicle should have active safety system to prevent accident like ABS, ESP ,TC etc

Then the passive system like SRS airbags and others ,but also good build quality and good star ratings in crash tests.

In case of ABS not working in bumper to bumper traffic it is better to read the owner manual before faulting out the system ; manual clearly states that ABS won't work if car speed is below 10kmph/6mph.

It was a good feedback from indroneel. Other than drunken driving there are other human errors like absent mindedness, learners stage, not following traffic rules, blackouts( yesterday I nearly saw a driver slammed his etios to an electric post in a clear colony road). Some cars come with ABS have option to enable/disable option. Can any one explain why vehicle sometime moves while brake is fully pressed and do this happen with ABS. Are there any particular specs for seat belt that we should really care for.

which all cars ,in the lower midrange( <=10 lac ex-showroom) have most intelligent airbag and safety system. If the air bag is not activated when the car is crashed from the behind, and when all will it get activated. What are the settings for it . What are the important specifications of seat belt and airbags. One of my friend landed his car one lane below while he was driving downside a high range, and trying to overtake a truck. The passengers escaped safely but the car got severly damaged. What will help in such accidents, braking is of no use. The sturdyness of the body of car, structure, airbags, seat belts, fire proof system, suspension, any thing else.

kidly reply, please come up with excellent data.

Dear Silent Friends : help me to decide with my new diesel car.

Type: Sedan/Notch back

Manufacturer : VW, Honda,Fiat,Maruti,Skoda

Budget on the road : 10Lacs(Mumbai w/o octroi)

Prime Requirement : Safety

Second requirement : AS&S

third :Lowest maintenance and cost

Fourth : Riding Quality

Fifth :Looks

Sixth :Brand Value

Seventh............I don't want to bore you

expecting replies

Looking at your requirement. I won't suggest you a Skoda, very high AFSS, Same with VW and Fiat. So the left options are Maruti and Honda.

The one from Maruti fits in your budget is SX4..But I would suggest wait some days, newer car is on the verge of it's launch. And From Honda the City fits but I don't think it will give you a hassle free ownership. I've heard of some errors in the car.

But if you can cut the 2nd requirement, You will get options like the Fiat Linea or the Skoda Rapid. Vento looks outdated to me now.

So, if you are ready to cut out the 2nd requirement, then the cars in are Linea and Rapid. From this two get the Rapid. It has tank like built quality and ride and handling is good too. Safety is good. Only demerit is the AFSS. If you can live with it get it else go the Linea way.

Looking forward for your views.

Thank u LeoRahi . Is it Alivio to be launched and if so what's the expected month. will you mention some of the errors in Honda city /Amaze. What about low maintenance and cost comparision.

Thank u LeoRahi . Is it Alivio to be launched and if so what's the expected month. will you mention some of the errors in Honda city /Amaze. What about low maintenance and cost comparision.

The launch is slated for mid 2014 for the Maruti.

I have heard that new city's engine is very noisy, built quality is below av. Not errors these but some things you won't like in your car.

And yep, maintenance is good from Honda. But are you sure you want the Amaze? Get the Rapid rather..I'm sure you'll like it

Thanks LeoRahi, rssh, dr.Nishu

As far as safety is concerned what is the position of New Honda City and Amaze.Does Amaze has the same engine of City. The executive says so.

My Concerns are Brake system, Fire prevention, Airbags, Seat belt's efficiency, Body Built, Fire retardant plastics, Bye passable power windows and center locks. Air conditioner gas leakage proof system inside the cabin, (Accidentally gas leakage to inside cabin drove a family to unconsciousness and finally death to a family)

All safety systems may not be available in all cars, and that we can consider .

I feel I should stick to the thread

IMO city has better protection because the bonnet is longer and in case of front end collision it has got more space and time to absorb the crash than in Amaze but I find build quality of both Amaze and Honda city below industry standards nowadays. The sheet metal is too thin and the panel gaps and uneven fit and finish lead to speculation of poor quality control and inferior use of body parts.

Ok fine rssh, Thanks.

Now one car left is MS SX4, in my consideration. Really I like this car (along with Esteem).

Now feel that, due to the existing pricing and config.. of cars in India, INL manufactures like VW, Fiat, Skoda Chevy, Renault etc are unable to go for a better pricing for their cars in India and and I appreciate that they are not so much downgrading their cars here, while compromising in safety,FE and Int/Ext Features.

What are the opinions abt SX4;; Safety, getting obsolete, AS&S and future spares (This post is so Important for me)

Kindly update

I had a test drive of Skoda Rapid Fiat Punto(Same Engine as Linea) and New Honda City

What I found was just like this

Skoda Rapid 1.6 L Diesel ...................Really I enjoyed the ride . The pickup( with A/C), gear, clutch, suspension, steering,vision (front and rear), seats, A/C. This is a really good car But my concerns about this car is AS&S and maintenance cost, Pricing and FE and Resale Value. The control of the vehicle is Very Very Good

Fiat Punto 1.3L Diesel. (My current car is Punto 1.2 L Petrol). As I drove the diesel and I could not feel much difference in pickup(with A/C), The only difference I felt was with the clutch, suspension and steering ; They have improved a lot. But not the prices. As I was planning for a hatch back initially, I opted a test drive of Punto rather than Linea The riding quality is == to Skoda. My concerns for Fiat is Resale Value, AS & S, Pickup. The control of the vehicle is excellent.

New Honda City

The Car's body is beautiful and modern. I did not like the Grills so much, as it covers full of the front. ( The mouth should no be so wide as the face). The ride quality is fine, suspension is fine, Interiors and Ext are excellent. And I felt this car is optimized with reference to Maruti Suzuki. Regarding the pickup;;hmm it is Ok with such a FE but lagging behind Fiat DE. The Fiat DE are giving good pickups with good FE. May be the gear ratio has to be further optimized (1-2-3) for Honda City

(For more, if required, I may post on request)

But for sedans like these I Expect more from Fiat and Honda :

I am waiting for the test drive of VW Vento and MS SX4

Replies and suggestions Please

For safety evaluation, the data of crash tests done with air bags shows that VW Polo, Swift (recently) has passed. Fiat Punto had passed this years back. I am sure that all are aware of this. But these were done with 6 air bags functioning. Now what is real safety. And for such a safe car the budget will not be so safe.

My budget got shrink and now it is around 8 lakhs. My current considerations are diesel cars of VW New Polo, MS Dzire, Ford Figo and Ford Classic and partially Fiat Punto Evo 90bhp.

With the same template, I request your suggestions separately for cars

1. With airbags and ABS

2. With ABS only

3. Without ABS and airbags

IMO city has better protection because the bonnet is longer and in case of front end collision it has got more space and time to absorb the crash than in Amaze but I find build quality of both Amaze and Honda city below industry standards nowadays. The sheet metal is too thin and the panel gaps and uneven fit and finish lead to speculation of poor quality control and inferior use of body parts.

Hi rssh : How about the safety comparison of Amaze, Dzire and Zest and including Ford Classic as it also comes in to the budget range of 8 lakhs. ( reduced budget). I am assuming that the ABS and Airbags will work reliably

Compare with the following options and In both options seat belts are used

Option 1 . All these models have ABS and twin Airbags

Option 2. All these models without ABS and Airbags

everybody please post the opinions

I'd suggest you go for the VW Polo. Got a great 1.5 4 cyl engine now.. way better from the earlier 1.2 pot.

Its a safe car to be in. Has a good fit and finish. You won't regret spending 8 lacs on that car. Moreover, the mid specs come with a rear wash-wipe and ABS along with driver and co-passenger airbags as standard. Much better features to have than alloys, keyless entry, and host of cockpit kinda buttons inside an i20 elite.

Thats where I would say the german car makes more sense. These are more active safety features than those fancy gadgets. I can't believe that an i20 Sportz Option also does not get a rear wash wipe.

Anyway, the 1.3 diesel mated to the AMT gearbox on a Zest should also intrigue you actually. Its a well put together car.

Lastly, I'd say if you're not in need of a boot, consider a B+ hatch with all safety features rather than going for a sub-4 meter sedan of the same car.