1 Cassette-Radio player

2 Reverse Musical horn

3 Seat covers

4 Steering Wheel cover

5 Idols of Gods/Goddesses

6 Floor mats

7 Body covers and

8 Sun Control Film.

After-market AC units, luggage carriers, Crash Guards were also very popular and a-must for taxi segment vehicles. Not to forget, the tri-color-flag-holders.

Now-a-days, too, things are not that different.

Reverse Cameras, Fog lights, Video Player Screens, PVC vinyl sheet Flooring, mobile phone chargers and mini fridges have replaced some of the items of the yesteryear's.

(sent from Lenovo A3000)

Edited by rameshbabu.n

My Top 5 items are in no particular order:

1. Music System (2 Din for starters) with better speakers.
  2. Reverse car parking assist
  3. Dash Camera - Helps in case of accidents and catching perpetrators of vandalism.
  4. Tyre Inflator & 2 - 3 tonne Jack
  5. Window hammer & Flashlight

Also I wish to include, Cabin Air Purifier (not negative Ion generator), with HEPA filters.

For Driving security: one should consider adding following:

1. LED DRLs
  2. Fog Lights (LED based)

Regards,

Praveer.

Hi,

I would like to add one most crucial thing in above list - A dashboard Camera. I am surprised that still there is not much awareness of using car dashboard camera in India.  It can literally save car driver from going behind bars in case of any accident and driver has not at fault.

I can post various features to be look before buying dash cam but I will post it on request only bcos I dont' wish to make the post long.

Also you can buy garmin, transcend, hp of YI dash cam from amazon, flipkart, snapdeal or you may look for Indian reseller selling dual recording dash cam like https://carcamera.in 

Have a safe driving !

I agree, Sachtech. Dashcams have become a need more than a fancy gadget to make road trip movies later. They help in event of an accident, altercation with traffic police or even during the overnight parking.

For me, the must have accessories on the car include the following in no particular order:

• Reverse assist - I prefer the audio audio aid rather than the camera. Camera tends to get dirty/scratchy and you have to change your rear view mirror too to a HUGE one/ungainly design.
  • Floor Lamination - I got this done to help keep the interiors clean. It is easy to clean and also makes it spill-proof if you have a kid.
  • Good quality leatherette seat covers (if your car comes with fabric seats) - not the typical cushion covers types. These are snug fit to the seat contours and last the life of the vehicle. Come a bit expensive.. but totally worth it.
  • Good speakers - not everyone is an audiophile. But sometimes, the music system you get is crap. May want to look at changing speakers. We feel it does not matter at first, but listening to good music on long drives or even on office commutes is so relaxing. 
    • Add better coaxial and component speakers if not amplifiers and bass tubes. And they don't cost a bomb either. 5-6k should get you decent components from JBL/Sony/Pioneers/Rock etc.
  • Good 3D floor mats - seems like an expense, but they help keep the interiors very clean. The tray type design also help keep the dust/mud/pebbles in place while you pull it out for a wash.
  • Scuff Plates & 3M PPF wraps around the scuff areas - it does help have a scuff plate to avoid the heel brushes while getting in an out. A white/silver color won't show that much but a darker color would.
  • Better Lights - In this age where LEDs and HIDs have gone cheap, our car manufacturers still provide us halogens. While it might be okay for occasional night driving, better lighting helps reduce stress when driving in the night. Switch to the Philips Xtreme vision or the Osram Nightbreakers at least. It makes whole lot of a difference.

You may have noticed, none of the above accessories add a bling to your car. But these are more towards your safety and your car's safety. The speakers are to keep us entertained in our journey :)