Sign in to follow this  
alextvino

Swift VDI turbo to intercooler hose oil leak

post-72758-0-66959300-1406551472_thumb.j

post-72758-0-90290300-1406551474_thumb.j

My swift VDI has completed 50000 kilometers. last week I have given that for service. Suddenly around 11 AM I got a call from SA saying that the pipe connecting between turbo and intercooler has a leak and also it has oil deposits due to leak. He is stating that the wear and tear of the oil seal or bush in the turbo results in oil mixed with air and entered into the intercooler also this leads to turbo failure in future but there is no oil leakage outside of the turbo and no power loss.

As advised by SA replaced the pipe connecting tube between turbo and intercooler and cleaned the intercooler. I want to be clear with the following queries.

1. Is this is normal?

2. The root cause of this?

3. Is this due to the Wear and tear of the oil seal or bush in the turbo?

4. Is anything wrong with my turbo even there is no oil leak in outside and no power loss?

5. Can I use my vehicle as usual or I have to change the turbo?

I have also attached the image of the damaged pipe.

kindly advice

This is not normal but not rare either. There are two reason though, the first is the oil might need a change, Poor oil quality can't handle the heat and it causes carbon build up inside the turbo bearing housing causing this leaks and blocks. And second reason the wear and tear of the bush, causing leakage. This generally happens due to the wear and tear of the bush. And I think the same happened to your car. And you needn't change it but sometimes the damage might be worse and need a change.

Thanks Leo for your response.

There is no chance for poor oil because I will change oil /air filter every 10k kilometers so the culprit is wear and tear in bush since there is no leak from turbo or power loss I can drive as usual till the damage get worse. But I am wondering how come the turbo dies in 50 k kilometers even I am maintaining proper idling before start and stop. Suspects poor build quality from maruthi because when I enquired with friends most of the swifts /Ritz facing same problem after 50 k kilometers.

Owning a etios too when comparing the service cost etios costs 1/3 of maruthi .no maruthi in life again .

Is it possible to change the bush in turbo from any outside garage?

You're welcome. And sorry to hear your experience with Maruti service but AFAIK the cost of Maruti service is lowest, Don't know how much true that is as I'm a Hyundai owner. And yes you can change it outside but I recommend doing it at MASS or some reputed garage.

I don’t thing maruthi service is cheap still now my average service costs are around 5 to 7 k ,In 50 k I have paid 9k for service ,in the same place Etios average service coast will be 2.5 to 3.5 k

AS per MASS they is no option to repair Turbo (Change the bush) only replace when things get worst ,and also they are advising that repairing turbo will not give expected result kindly opine .

What about approach maruthi for a replacement?

Yeah if things are really bad then you need to replace the Turbo.

Consult an outside garage if they have the same opinion to change it. The service centre guys will make a small problem a big one by faking some problems. Make sure if its the case, then repair it at an outside garage.

The average rpm of turbo would go up to 15K~20K RPM or may be more, so it is not advisable to run with this problem. The fine clearance between the bushes and the T/C(turbocharger) shaft prevents the oil entering into the air or exhaust system. As pointed by LeoRahi, the dirty oil may responsible for the worn out bushes. Moreover, Maruti may not be the manufacturer of the T/C. You have to get the T/C overhauled at the manufacturer's facility at the earliest.

Just going through a Honda Amaze T/C(turbocharger)supplement Honda recommend to renew the T/C if it is not performing well example oil leaks, noise or fouling of the turbine blades etc, same applicable for the dealer. Honda dealers are not supposed to overhaul it.