Sign in to follow this  
ameya_m

Replacing spare tyre

Had a flat on Sunday. But when I took the spare out, it had bubbles on its side wall all round. The mechanic told me that the spare tyre was unusable. Ultimately we fixed and ran the tyre that was flat in the first place.

So, I need a new spare tyre. Should I pick up a brand new tyre or a second hand one from a reliable source? I dont want to replace all four tyres in the monsoon, may be afterwards

Ameyam

I would say a sparingly used spare should do. You should fine them at tyre dealers. Many new car owners swap tyres soon after delivery and these are actualy new tyre which have run for say just 100 kms. Try looking for one of those.

@ameya, You will get plenty of used tyre options at a reputed tyre shop. Stick to well know tyre shops in your area and do not fall for their tricks. Some dealers have tendency to misguide and encourage you to pick up refurbished tyres claiming they will run for another 10,000 kms. They will offer you one for as low as 800-1000Rs. Stay away from those dealers.

Or you can also look for deals onlilne on snapdeal.com they currently have some discounts going on.

I agree with Kuntal, do not encourage refurbished tyre vendors, tyres may be stolen also. Get a new spare from authorized dealer(get the dealer's name from manufacturer's website) and inquire the cause of bubbles in your spare from the dealer or the manufacturer.