SRoyC

Help me to choose, first time buyer

Hello friends and fellow members. This is my first post in this forum (not considering the introduction post). Please help me to choose.

Whats your Budget - Rs 03.50L

Kms driven monthly - 1000 kms

Bodyshell - Hatch

City/Highway split - 75:25

Max No.of Passangers - ___3___ most of the time (max 5)

Boot space Importance - ______ Medium

Usage by - __________________normal

Ownership - _________________City

Safety - _____________________anything

Prime requirement - FE/Maitenance cost/Resale/Passenger Comfort

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - Maruti Suzuki

I am going to buy a car for the first time and I am from Kolkata. I intend to drive the car myself (I am learning to drive). It would bedriven mostly within city but I may take it occassionally out. After a lot of deliberation, I have short listed the following:

Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 LXi

Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 Vxi

Tata Nano Twist

Considering the poor feedback I received and low power engine and the price comparison with the other two, I have almost ruled it out. So please help me with the following:

1. Am I right to rule out Nano Twist?

2. Should I go for Alto 800 VXi version instead of LXi for 15k extra? The dealers are really pushing me hard to buy the LXi version and then add a third party music system.

3. What accessories are important to have? I really like the "Parking assistance" with camera- is this a worth buy? (price about 10k).

Please help me out.

Thank you.

I would suggest the Alto 800 VXi over Tata Nano anyday. You might also like the Alto k10.

Take a look at the Datsun Go as well. Seems a worthy buy.

And as of accessories, Parking assistance is not a bad idea though it would be better to fit it in a outside garage. And you might also be able to squeeze out some good deals on freebies from the dealer.

You can go for Vxi model or top model be it in Maruti or Datsun or Hyundai etc

, avoid any accessory which is not factory fitted. Maruti cars are time tested and spares are cheap.

If side view mirrors are good then parking

Sensor are not required. Please remember Human life is of utmost Importance.

Thank you fellow members and friends. Today I booked Alto 800 Vxi (Blazing Red) and thanks to you for clearing my dilemma. Does anyone here have a custom bi-colored alto800? The dealer told me that they can do a paint job to make my car bi-colored (front and rear bumpers in Silky Silver while the main color remains blazing red) and they would charge about 5000/- for that. Are they quoting me correct price?

I would actually suggest a Wagon R. The tall boy design and upright seating posture make it easier to pickup. I learnt that way. Its outside your budget and you are a learner, so i would recommend a preowned car. Best pick up a pre 2010 True value Wagon R from a authorised Maruti dealership

Ameyam

I would actually suggest a Wagon R. The tall boy design and upright seating posture make it easier to pickup. I learnt that way. Its outside your budget and you are a learner, so i would recommend a preowned car. Best pick up a pre 2010 True value Wagon R from a authorised Maruti dealership

Ameyam

Thanks for your reply. I did not get any good affordable one. I got one Petrol+LPG version which was about 8 years old for 1.55L, which I felt quite overpriced and rejected. All the True Value cars and Mahindra First Car are pretty overpriced.

From my own experience, you spend a bit fixing things after you buy a dealer car. The cost of fixing thing easily makes up for the difference in the cost of a dealer car and a true value car. If you are in that thought process, I suggest you wait a month or so till the festive season starts when a lot of people upgrade. You will get a good car then. That being said, dont trust true vale blindly. Find a good trustable mechanic and ask him to help you check, test drive and negotiate the price. For new drivers, a used car is better. It doesnt hurt your heart if you scrape it while you are learning. And the pre-2010 Wagon R has a 1.19l engine which has much better pickup and bears well to a CNG conversion as compared to the later 999cc engines

Ameyam

Thanks ameya_m

Well, first of all the WagonR I mentioned had LPG+Petrol, CNG ids not available in Eastern India.

Secondly, I have already booked a new car- Alto 800 Vxi.

I was wondering about the parking sensors,. it seems that a 10k piece with camera would be an overkill. The plain one with digital/LED display is available for 2880/- from MGA. btw, are MGA parts worth of the premium they charge? Please comment.

Thank you