sumanth

Dip in Mileage

Hi friends,

Need your advise/suggestion

I have bought a new Swift VDI in Feb 2011 and it currently has done about 65,000 kms for the last couple of months, the car has been emitting white smoke on ignition and the same continue for about 10 seconds. this possibly might be the reason for drop in engine oil levels by 1 ½ liter for 6000kms.

When I recently got this checked in authorized service center they advise that everything was fine after doing a compressor check and etc. The white smoke has come down by 60% after servicing but suddenly the mileage has fallen to 10 or 12kmpl from 16kmpl within city limits, not sure what is happening coz I have always treated my car as my Love and got is serviced at every 8000 to 9000 kms

Can you kindly advise as to what might be the reason of such sudden dip in mileage and the white smoke.

Appreciate your suggestions on this, thank you

Ideally, your car should not be consuming oil. It just uses it.

Smoke means that the oil is getting in the combustion chambers or is getting introduced in there by the turbo charger.

Get that thoroughly checked. If this has been a long time issue, do check the carburetor too. Get the exhaust cleaned for carbon deposits...

Edited by neerajd

White smoke for these short intervals is quite normal for a cold start /first start.

The authorised service station must have performed all necesary checks while you were there

Block test and compression and piston leak down test are common solutions

If there is considerable gap when you took your car to MASS and now when your mileage has dipped take it again to one.

Did you explain them about the dipping mileage on your last visit.

So many things can go wrong in a car , is it over heating, is it leaking Coolant , what is the condition of spark plugs, how clean is the air filter or something major with the head gasket .

Only on inspection can one pinpoint, so head to MASS again.

Thank you frnds for the suggesstions,

@Neeraj : i had the complete check done, they checked the turbo & Intercooler as weel and did say that everything was fine. As you have advised i might have to get the exhaust cleaned up for the carbvon deposits.

@librankur : Yes , they have performed all the above mentioned test and advised that everthign is fine, Did advise them that the mileage has gone down but they gave a similar reply for the same. i assume that there might be a problem with Oxygen Sensor or the air filter. its better i replace the air filter and check.

Any idea how much will a oxygen Sensor cost and the cost involved in gettign the exhaust cleaned.

Thank you friends for your advises...

Normally white smoke is emitted when water goes into the combustion space and bluish white smoke is emitted when oil burns. You seems to be loosing the sump oil. The oil scraper ring of one of the piston may not be doing its job but compression pressure would be fine when same is checked by the MASS. This explains the oil consumption. Engines are not designed to burn L.O in its combustion space this will cause heavy deposits on the turbine wheel of the T/C and eventually the mileage will drop. If the MASS cannot solve your problem then do post your problem on the official Maruti-suzuki webisite.

Vikky, thank you very much for your post, have found your posts in different forums very informative...

Frankly, your post was too technical for me, if its not much of a problem can you kindly exlain in detail so that i can check and get things done in the same way.

The thick white smoke has gone down by 90% after the check up with the service center, however would want to understand your point of view in detail.

Regards

Naga sumanth

You ask the MASS the following questions:

1. Why your car is loosing engine Sump oil(L.O=Lubricating oil)?

2. What is the reason of white smoke coming out of exhaust pipe? Maruti diesel cars should not smoke if all running fine in one's car.

3. As each piston is having a oil scraper ring(the purpose of oil scraper ring is to scrape off L.O from the cylinder sleeve to the engine sump), Is the oil scraper ring of one of the piston malfunctioned(broken or worn out)?

Note: Engine is designed to burn diesel and not the L.O, if your car is loosing L.O from the engine sump that means it(exhaust gases from the engine) will smoke and it will make the turbine blades of the turbocharger/super charger (T/C) dirty and the dirt on the blades will make your T/C to revolve at lower RPM in turn this T/C will pump less air into the engine to result in poor combustion and again more smoke(grey or black) and more fouling of the exhaust system.