Sign in to follow this  
Kuntal

Engine misfire post service

Hello all,

I recently got my second service done at Global Gallerie, Thane for my VW Polo. It was just another routine service. I was so happy that my car has not had any problem in two years of ownership. As a gesture to honour my request I was allowed to witness the entire service procedure with irregular and brief explanation of processes by the mechanic.

All was going good until the mechanic dropped one of the spark plugs on its head. As rudimentary as they are in their approach and thinking and I am not bashing anyone here but that's what he was like, he did not change the spark plug inspite of me requesting it. As many would have heard the standard response "Sir kuch nahin hota hain, yeh company wale aapko darate hain". I did not want to say much if the car was working fine so I waited for my turn to test drive the car.

On start up I noticed increased vibrations and engine misfire. It was like engine was running out of breath. I immediately informed the advisor and he delegated the job to a senior technician. The customary search began with the on board diagnostics and within 5 minutes they found the culprit and it was the spark plug. Now I know that you are supposed to change the spark plug and not fix its head and replace it. As unfortunate as it may sound but the task to replace the plugs were assigned to the same mechanic who had sc***d up in the first place. To my surprise and shock he did not change the spark plug but tried to fix it with a hammer. The misfiring ofcourse was not noticable then.

The very next day I start up my car only to find increased vibrations and continuous misfiring. I called up the advisor and he ased me to bring in my vehicle to change the plugs. They asked me to wait with my vehicle while the entire process is being carried out. Two dudes came over with a set of spark plugs and replaced all of them. They claimed the spark plugs to be new but I do not remember seeing a invoice for the same.

Now if I recall the procedure, no mechanic is allowed to source any parts from the store without an invoice from the advisor. So anyway they changed the plugs and there was no misfiring that was reported by the OBD. I drove off without creating any fuss but filled with skepticism.

The following 40 hours or so I did not get a chance to use my car. When I eventually gor the opportunity to use my car, I started her up only to discover that the problem is still not resolved. I took her for a drive and did about 5 kms as I was curious to learn the exact nature of the problem. To my surprise the car does not misfire as much on idling when its at its optimum temparature.

Its been three weeks and three visits post service to fix this issue but it is still not resolved.

Any advice on this matter is highly appreciated.

Please write a mail to VW about the live witnessing of spark plug fall. The spark plug is definitely damaged because the gap of spark plug is engineered specifically to the engine depending upon the tuning and even a minor difference will lead to poor timing and insufficient combustion leading to misfire and sometimes engine knocking as well.

You should have made a foul play to the service adviser and complained to the manager that day itself.

I hope, you must have collected your old spark plugs, as originals are the best. Even they put the new ones, the air gap has to be adjusted as per the engine maker's recommendations. Please write to the VW india about the whole episode and also be after the VW Thane service centre works manager till everything sorts out.

You should complain about it to the VW India (as suggested by above posters).

For now, you should consider going to another VW service centre and ask them for a replacement of the spark plugs (With valid invoice).

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your response. I don't know if it would be very wise to raise the issue to VW India just yet. The advisor so far has been helpful but unsuccessful in resolving my problem. He keeps giving me appointments without paying a heed to my time and resources. I called up the concerned workshop but the service advisor is on a leave until 8th Sep also they are asking me to leave my car overnight, but I personally feel that is not going to help as I seriously doubt their attentiveness to check my car for misfires in cold condition.

Now it is too much trouble to leave the car at the workshop in the evening plus travel 30 kms back home without my car. In addition travel another 30kms to the workshop the following day. And what if the problem still persists?

I feel the workshop should provide pick up and drop service if they s**w up royally.

The fortpoint provides free pick up and drop service. Could you trust the VW drivers with your car? I don't allow the drivers at vallet parking to touch my car.

If you suspect the spark plugs then get them replaced at the other VW service centre as suggested by LeoRahi at least you will have piece of mind. Misfiring damages the cylinder/unit and unbalance force will come on the crankshaft.

@Vikky,

I escalated the issue to the service head of VW Thane. He offered pick up and drop services, but I do not trust their drivers at all. I have seen the way they test drove my car with me in it, it speaks volumes. The way they treat your car, It's heart breaking.

I am sparingly using my car. I did not use my car at all last week. With all the work responsibilities its hard to leave work in the middle of the day just to drop off your car. I am looking at affecting at least two work days, plus I am really skeptical of leaving my car behind overnight.

So it's been two days since I dropped my car off at the workshop, still no word from them. They are asking me to pay Rs. 200 if I want my car dropped off to my office. After such pathetic service experience they have the moral high ground to ask for money. I will have to today agree with claims of my Canadian friend who has travelled extensively in India, that the word service is almost non existent.