librankur

Car burns down - Total Loss Claim , Duplicate RC

One of my cars burned down and I am now eyeing for a total loss claim

The insurance guy now wants my RC , Insurance Papers and pollition certificate which also have burned along with the car.

The car had Delhi Registration but Insurance renewal was done from Punjab.

First Query

How to get duplicate RC made and how much time it takes

Second Query

Getting insurance papers is easy but how does one get a duplicate Pollution Certificate , add to that this was my car which is mostly travelling between states , how to find where it got its pollution done from.

Third Query

How to get a Total Loss Claim ? How much can i expect to get back , I mean what percentage of IDV can I expect.

PS:

I am already arranging for a FIR copy and Insurance papers from respective places.

How to get duplicate RC made and how much time it takes ?

In Delhi D-RC procedure is very simple, go to RTO and fill the form and get it in seven business day. For applying D-RC you need to have valid insurance, pollution certificate, police report (in case of lost or your case too) all in original and copy with notorised, two fee one for card and one D-RC.

Insurance you can get it from internet or go to Branch will give you the copy.

Pollution certificate in duplicate is a very tough job unless you know the center from where you had the pollution last time. Or you can give the affidavit the car was covered with valid pollution certificate however it burn out.

You should get professional advise from Insurance and RTO agents.

Thank You Monoclonal ,

I have asked an agent to do the Duplicate RC work for me but it will all begin once I get all the documents in place.

Still trying to get proper information about Insurance claim.

Lot of paper work involved

FIR written in local language had to be translated into either Hindi or English by an Advocate

Estimated cost of repair

Lot of attestation work on the documents being submitted.

Certificate from Fire Department , who were at the scene to douse the fire

Level 1 completed

Now a 30 day wait for Duplicate RC begins

Claim processing would speed up once i give the Duplicate RC to the Insurance Company.

I can understand..it's a royal pain getting these things done.

However, law only mandates original driving license and PUC to carried. Registration and insurance certificates can be carried as photocopy.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/delhi-traffic-police/useful-information-on-traffic-matters-in-the-form-of-faqs-satyendra-garg-joint-c/219844581378644

New Year starts with some Good news finally.

Heard from the Agent yesterday , he says the Duplicate RC has been made.

The process got delayed endless because of some issues at the RTO (software issues , new agency employed to make RC for RTO delhi now )and some old traffic violation cases that had been wrongly assigned to my registration number.

The RC looks a bit diffrent now , the Smart Chip has been moved to the front , instead of the back side now.

Have couriered the same to Punjab today, hoping the Insurance Claim process can now speed up.

@librankur, that's good news and hopefully the insurance claim process can speed up now.

Unfortunately, my bike (RE) got stolen in November and I have also been facing lot of issues in getting the claim.

Though surprisingly the issues seems more at Insurance company's side (surveyor) rather than Police.

I got the final closure report from Police but these insurance guys seems to be playing games to delay as much as possible.

I have now escalated the matter to insurance company's top shots (got their emails after some googling).

Let's see how things go on from here.

Sorry to hear about your stolen ride.

What is the surveyor cribbing about.

Yes, the wait was endless.

They always come up with something or the other to stall the process.

Luckily , I could arrange funds in time to buy the new vehicles (was scheduled to buy one initially but then was just able to scrape in enough to get this burnt out swift replacement) in the December discount season.This time i made sure they would registered in the place they would be used.So that next time if such a thing happens ,the amount of work needed to set things right is minimum.

Had I kept my hopes pinned only on the Insurance Claim settlement amount I would have got nothing.

Secondly , the Agent was doing all the running for me so that didnt bother me much.

After submitting all the documents and police closure report, surveyor should have passed on the completed file within couple of days to insurance company for payment.

But here he seemed to be playing games (hoping for some money) by delaying file transfer and not answering my calls.

Just one mail to correct set of people made things fall in line within a day.

Just got call from insurance company that payment shall be done within 10 days to my account.

I think it has become a norm in India that things don't work as they should until an escalation is made.

Just Got this

DD-VAAHAN

[DL3CBJ****]

Received Rs.50/- against PARTICULAR OF RC fee vide receipt no SS878754 dated 11-Feb-2015 11:12:15 AM.

Thanks SHEIKH SARAI

Hoping things are going in the right way.

Edited to hide number

Edited by librankur

Heres the latest on my swift that burned down

Got a letter from the insurance company saying that my claim has been approved by the competent authority for Rs xxxxxx/- and lying impending for following formality

1 Submission of cancelled RC

So here is the harrowing part I now have to get the same RC cancelled for which I spent nearly 3 months waiting

When will I get my claim money is my eternal question, even the new replacement cars are now 4 months old.

1 Submission of cancelled RC

I don't think you will have problem, just go online, check documentation process, arrange all the papers in one file including attested true copies and plan to go RTO on Tuesday or Wednesday (to avoid the rush).

I had my own experience in some where in Malaviya Nagar RTO office and conclusion is do complete home work before think to come RTO office.

Dont know about you but its easier said than done personally for me.

Also these long weekends dont help a bit.

Mine is a two states case and everything has to go through Speed Post , Courier and it takes even longer.

My agent that I have engaged for the purpose has asked me for a whole lot of paperwork , which I have now begun to arrange?

The agent has now asked me to create a file with these things

1.sale letter.29.30 forms

2.settelment letter.

3 insurance copy.

4 RC

He will give me other requirements after i fulfill these

New requirements include

An indemnity bond

Cut metal portion of Engine number

cut metal portion of chassis number

True Copy attestation from Insurance Company on FIR copy

True Copy attestation from insurance company on Fire Report

True Copy attestation from imsurance company on Fire Report Receipt

Attestation from Insurance Company on letters it has been sending me , incidently the Branch Manager is not putting his official Stamp and simply signing on these letters

Thid is taking far to long

Few points are genuine in the list like engine and chassis number, rest are red tapeism.

In Delhi my friend's car met with an accident car got damaged beyond to repair, like engine gear box and structural damaged. Friend had 5 years no claim bonus on the car however Insurance company come out for a penny settlement. My friend scraped his car with Tata Motors and used the no claim benefit and exchange offer to buy Zest.

Pvt insurance companies are very bad choice of insurance irrespective of their promotion or verbose advertisement.

Insurance Company is now saying , they cannot keep the case open for infinite amount of time, they say case open for next 15 days only.

reason

The cancelled RC has still not been provided to them by me

The cancellation has still not happened because of some work going on in South Delhi authority , the authority is being split into two, all paper work has been stalled, also no new cases being taken there.

You need to give a legal notice to insurance company and RTO. You have limitation and a legitimate argument that RTO office is not doing any thing what ever reason. Insurance company have to compliance your argument.

You should not end up in less because system's error or fault.

Thanks buddy.

I have started off softly with them.

I have made my lawyers to draft a simple letter on my behalf , with lot of legal lingo and have speed posted to my Insurance Agent in Punjab and asked him to give my side of the story to them and also give the same in writing.

Hoping this works and they are willing to give me more time.

If i dont hear from them in a week , i will be compelled to go to the next logical level with them.

Also, on monday i need to giving a shouting to my Delhi RTO Agent to do quickly what he was paid for.

Finally the Insurance Company has done a NEFT of the Indurance amount due to me.

The amount was far lesser than the IDV of the vehicle as they have asked me to sell the vehicle body for scrap myself

Happy Diwali indeed.