plainman007

Nano - Battery Replacement. Can i install a 35AH Batt ?

Just 18 months down the line and my nano battery is dead beyond revival. Im having a nightmare with this car. Compared to my Zen and My EECO. Will soon be giving a 2 yrs of ownership review of the car.

I called the service center and they either dont want to tell or dont know whether i can put in an AMARON battery. The Amaron helpline confirms i can put in a 35AH 12v battery. But the problem here is that the battery that comes with the car (that is the one that's now dead) is a 25AH battery from exide.

So can i use a 35AH battery from amaron ? Has anyone used such a battery in the Nano.

Some say it can be used with no problems. Some say you cant. Can any of you comment ?

Please do check for warranty issue as Nano is known for fire due to short circuit in electrical wires. Insurance company and Tata also reported in their root cause analysis on the Nano fire that almost all the fire were due to Non OEM electrical accessories and nothing wrong in the Nano.

"Just 18 months down the line and my nano battery is dead beyond revival. Im having a nightmare with this car.".... I have a similar experience with the Indigo.

You can fit any make recommended battery in it, make sure connections are salt or oxide free and tight, after connecting apply vaseline on the connections. Even I agree that the retrofitting of any non-OEM electrical parts by the third party are the major causes of fires in the cars, in general. Actually exide battery is good If your battery has failed in 2 years, is really surprising as normally it would last atleast 5 years(acid ones) if someone adds the tap water or water not from the reputed source then the battery would fail. Also if your battery charger is supplying excess voltage, which is common in TATA cars, then the battery would fail.

Go ahead with the battery change & check the charging voltage with the TATAs and from the place you would buy the new battery.

Only issue i can say is that i sometimes leave the car for a week or 10 days. Since im using the EECO then. Cant help it because i have to juggle and use to give both some exercise.

To further explain what happened, the battery went flat recently after not using the car for just 7 days. So i called a local exide shop and asked him to recharge it and also check water levels. When he brought back the battery. There was water (or something like water) oozing down it onto a newspaper that we kept the battery on. So when i looked closer, the battery was sweating (for lack of a better word), and i wiped it and mounted it into the car. After mounting it in i tried starting and the entire dashboard was flickering like a strobe light with a very audible high speed KRRRRRR electrical kind of noise (not mechanical) which was matching the console panel flickering. And the speedometer was rattling away against its resting pin while the car was in neutral and stationary. And the the engine would chug and chug and then start.

Took it to the nano service center and he didnt know anything and was blank. He checked it with a multimeter and said its delivering the correct voltage but yet behaving like this and he doesnt know why. He will have to keep the car for a day or 2 to research and find out. Which i dread !!!. They will ruin and break the vehicle and give it to me (based on past experience, more details in my upcoming nano review). On a sidenote, nowadays car dealers greatly help make your vehicle get the USED or OLD look. They cant stand customers who have the car without a single hairline scratch and in brand new condition. The car came back from first service looking like a grisly bear lived in it for 2 days. Complete dashboard scratched and abrased. Perfectionists like me will die of heart bleed.

Is it possible he poured tap water into the battery given the train of events ? If yes is it possible to revive the battery or better to change it to be on the safe side ?

Depending on the warranty on the battery

Avail replacement of the same.

Dont tell these guy you dont use the car on a daily basis.

You can even get the newer one free if the battery its under warranty or 50% of MRP or 35% of MRP all depending on warranty of the battery.

@plainman007, (1) I presume that you have the battery warranty card with you, in that card you have the model and the serial no. of the battery. Compare the serial nos. and see if the battery is not exchanged? If nos. are not matching then somebody has cheated you. Battery serial no. is embossed on the battery sides or on top.

(2) Now if the battery is two years old then it would last for atleast 2 more years. what you can do is go to some other battery dealer and buy one complete battery change (approx 2 litres of weak sulphuric acid) of electrolyte for your battery. You have to completely drain your car battery and then flush it 2~3 times with the reputed distill water and then fill up to the mark, with the weak electrolyte,

Needless to say, you have to wear eye protection and rubber gloves to protect your hands from the acid spills. Next time whenever you have to top up the battery level, always do it your self with the distill water, which is available at any battery shop in 1 and 5 litres sealed bottles.

I hope this(ACI) was of some assistance to you.

@plainman007, (1) I presume that you have the battery warranty card with you, in that card you have the model and the serial no. of the battery. Compare the serial nos. and see if the battery is not exchanged? If nos. are not matching then somebody has cheated you. Battery serial no. is embossed on the battery sides or on top.

(2) Now if the battery is two years old then it would last for atleast 2 more years. what you can do is go to some other battery dealer and buy one complete battery change (approx 2 litres of weak sulphuric acid) of electrolyte for your battery. You have to completely drain your car battery and then flush it 2~3 times with the reputed distill water and then fill up to the mark, with the weak electrolyte,

Needless to say, you have to wear eye protection and rubber gloves to protect your hands from the acid spills. Next time whenever you have to top up the battery level, always do it your self with the distill water, which is available at any battery shop in 1 and 5 litres sealed bottles.

I hope this(ACI) was of some assistance to you.

Thank you for taking the time to explain. This will definitely be of use. But i think is an intricate and cumbersome job though. But i read this just after i bought the new battery. Fixed the 35ah amaron battery. Wtih extreme diufficulty. The battery guy gave up and said he cannot fix the clamp back. Its true as its really in a craped place stuck under 2 solid iron bars and its like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. So had to start it with the new battery but lose rods and went to NANO authorised service station. Took the engineer 1 Hr solid to figure out how to put it in. That too cramping himself between the seats lying half outside the vehicle and half inside. This is the position the battery has been placed in the 'wonderful' vehicle. He himself agreed that its near impossible to put the battery back. And sweat pouring in the sweltering heat, he was trying and trying and then finally another service guy had to go in and do it. And throughout they were asking me "where did u change the battery" again n again. As if we damaged it or what. Its in brand new condition and its obvious its been design by a foolish company. And its like as if i dont have the right to change my own battery or what ?

My advise is dont buy a Nano. Most people giving good reviews about a nano are first time car users and are highly kicked up about the vehicle and feels it great, because theyve probably not used a well designed car. Using an eeco and zen and the nano makes you want to ram it into the wall.

@plainman007, we love our cars and gadgets, so we must learn few essential things about them too and believe me these procedures are available on youtube.

You also make sure that the battery placed in your car properly and make sure it is not loose, Also secure your battery with cable tie and positive & negative terminals are tight. Make sure its contacts are well wrapped with the insulation tape. Check and replenish the water in the battery every month and if the evaporation is minimal then same check has to be done every 3 months.

Though the adventure sound worth your while,I will personally advise against it

One of my cars, a swift was reduced to ashes post a similar surgery performed by my driver.

Its the same car , about which i had written a while ago, the one that is keeping me busy these days with all the paper work to get the Total Loss claim settlement.

Any day buying a 3K battery is cheaper than buying a 3L car.