sarath19in

Honda city 2014 or Facelift Verna 2015

Hey folks,

I have booked (dream car) Honda City SVMT diesel, and now i have lot of confusions to buy.

I am 29, i will drive the car in weekends only,for me two things important. Good sporty look sedan and resale value.

I opted for two cars City and Verna. Diesel Variant( for resale value)

City

+ve reliable brand, nice comfort, decent looks.

-ve is i came to know diesel variant is not good like noisy inside cabin, normal interior, old model alloy wheel, poor grill design (some peoples say Honda City is uncle car/family car)

Verna

+ve is stunning looks,well shaped. new trendy, cool interior, diamond cut alloys wheels.

-ve Backseat comfort, front headlight, grill looks and ( doubtful hyundai cars quality after 3yrs)

MyTest drive experience

Diesel city is not satisfied as compared to verna, driving feels that i drive diesel engine van. As usual sales person excused ,this is test vehicle.

but Verna feels soft,silent, fast, new car.

Now another big confusion,

yesterday i went to hyundai showroom to check/sacrifice back seat comfort.

The sales person said , wait for this month end New Hyundai facelift verna is coming to solve all -ve things(like suspension change, front look etc., but not sure about rear seat comfort.

And also i received my new tariff from honda with 4% customs charge. Which makes my booked SVMT to cross 10lac from ex-showroom, this results additional 5%tax.

So the current SVMT diesel car value is 12,24,000.

Should i wait for the new verna? Or go for petrol variant city?

Kindly advice please.

Welcome to the forum !

Yes, new Verna is on the cards and going by the reports, it should be launched within Q1 of 2015.

So if you can wait a little bit then I will advise you to do so and see if it matches your expectation.

Apart from cosmetic changes, 2015 Verna will get better sorted ride and handling. Though i feel back seat comfort will still be a notch below City.

If you are looking for a diesel only car then apart from Verna I will suggest you also look at Ciaz. Though from looks, engine power and overall quality wise it's a notch below Verna but it's priced very well.

Edited by sachins

Thanks ! According to me , C2 segment is high for me, so i don't want to choose a car which is not fame, or going to be fame/hit. My mind has been set like Ciaz will be in (Baleno, kizashi, SX4) list which is good to buy , but people buy less and that makes resale value less.

Hello and welcome to the Autocar family. Since you are going to use the car only on weekends I don't think diesel option would be logical unless you are planning to buy the car for out station trips. And if you go in for a petrol variant, then look no where else other than the Honda City.

Hi sarath19in, welxome to the forum, if you are looking at the car for weekend pleasure then petrol should be the choice. Selling a used diesel car after few years, when most of the work shall pop up, won't fetch much. Moreover above mentioned brands aren't popular with the cab operators too.

Hi sarath19in, welxome to the forum, if you are looking at the car for weekend pleasure then petrol should be the choice. Selling a used diesel car after few years, when most of the work shall pop up, won't fetch much. Moreover above mentioned brands aren't popular with the cab operators too.

‚Äč I case you want to opt among the two then I would recommend the verna as noise level in Amaze is more.

Hi sarath19in. I am no expert on diesel variants, thus will just limit my opinion to my own experience. Its been over an year now that I have been driving my Honda City & according to me please do not look beyond Honda. Why? well I have couple of reasons:

1. Mine is a petrol, therefore I can safely pro-claim that its a pleasure to drive & helps you enjoy a steady & true on road experience.

2. Verna, though is a great car & has many pro's, however according to my personal opinion its gets to wary & makes you feel extremely uneasy about your drive.

3. Honda is spacious & has an airy feel to it but just to an extent. However, Verna on the other sides can get claustrophobic for a few.

I will second @bhavneet's opinion & will suggest Honda City.

I am not sure , the booking days will be considered if i switch to Petrol Variant.

The current revised price is,

Petrol

SVMT = 10.38lac

Diesel

SVMT = 12.24lac

Previously the price difference of SVMT petrol and diesel is 1lac after 2015 its 1.8lac :( (definitely high cost revised)

So i'm leaning towards petrol.

May i know , how much mileage for ANHC petrol in city and highway? And maintenance cost?

I hope cab operators don't prefer white board!!

@sarath19in: I would suggest you to wait till the new Verna comes in which is scheduled to be in mid Feb this year.

On diesel versus petrol : I would say it totally depends on the KM you run your car. As you mentioned that you are keen for high resale value then keep in mind a Honda always enjoys higher reselling price compared to any other in this segment. Again, you need to think and calculate if your monthly running is between 800 to 1000 KM minimum than opting for a diesel would make sense, else petrol is best bet for you.

On Ciaz...I would say this time Maruti has played well in the segment. The Ciaz is doing quiet well and have taken a noticeable place on the road now. However, Ciaz diesel lacks the power. It comes with VGT MJD 90 HP 1.3L diesel unit which is lesser when you compared to Rapid/Vento/City/Verna.

So if you want a diesel + enthusiastic + high resale value car...it has to be City diesel (as of now) OR wait till mid Feb to get a chance to look at new Verna rather than regreting it later.

Edited by Sstar

Sorry to be offtopic but why dont you give a try to Skoda Rapid AT Black Edition or VW Vento AT. It is value for money car and much superior than City and Verna in almost all aspects except A.S.S. experience and resale value.

City diesel is waste IMO and it though it is 1.5 liter it just produces same power as Linea D, Ciaz D so dont go by CC just check the power outputs.

My recent Updates, I went to Hyundai showroom in Chennai regarding the new face lift verna, But the sales manager told that all are rumors, nothing like that face lift in verna so far. I dono whether he is not aware or hiding to sell the existing verna. Regarding Honda city, I changed my booking to SVMT petrol from VMT because 3 things I need customization. Alloy, Music system, fog lamp. All this 3 + ORVM + chrome handle + sensor camera is VMT model. Then why I need to choose VMT? Its good value because only 65k difference SVMT and VMT. But I can use this amount according to my wish. The sad thing is fresh waiting period :(