Prashantroxx

New car under 15 lakh

Whats your Budget - Rs 15.00L (+- 1lakh)

Kms driven monthly - +1000kms

Bodyshell - SUV/ MUV

City/Highway split - 15:85

Max No.of Passangers - 4 most of the time

Boot space Importance - Medium

Usage by - Enthu

Ownership - Outskirts&City

Safety - High

Prime requirement - Ride/FE/Braking/Passenger Comfort

Softcorner'd Manufacturer - Used Fortuner, New XUV, New Scorpio, Used X1.

My uncle wants to buy a new car as he has changed his office. Earlier he used to be in Lucknow but after been transferred to Jhansi, requirement for a new car has prevailed. It should definitely be a SUV. The car will be kept for 3-5 years so i am thinking of suggesting him a second car. The depreciation for a new car won't have to be born by him. The car will be in lucnkow for weekends so there won't be problems in maintaining it. Please suggest what car should it be. The car will be chauffeur driven 90% but should have the fun which my uncle wants for the rest of 10% times :) He is bimmer fanatic so i am working out if X1 would suit him.

Edited by Prashantroxx

@Prashant, if you are only looking at SUV/MUV with max 4 persons on board then I will suggest you look at compact options instead of full blown ones.

MUV: Ertiga

SUV: Ford Ecosport, Duster/Terrano, Upcoming Hyundai ix25 (if you can wait)

Used Fortuners are still priced way too high and I wouldn't touch the big 3 German brands for pre-worshipped ones (at least not without extended warranty/service package).

I would suggest you to go ahead with new Tata Aria Pride 4x4. It is loaded with all safety features and you say and Aria will have that safety feature.

Ride and Handling of the car is amazing considering size of the vehicle.

@Prashant, if you are only looking at SUV/MUV with max 4 persons on board then I will suggest you look at compact options instead of full blown ones.

MUV: Ertiga

SUV: Ford Ecosport, Duster/Terrano, Upcoming Hyundai ix25 (if you can wait)

Used Fortuners are still priced way too high and I wouldn't touch the big 3 German brands for pre-worshipped ones (at least not without extended warranty/service package).

X1 is something he adores and high cost of maintenance won't bother him much. A 2009 Fortuner can be had for less than 15 lakh i think so. Plus it will be kept for only 3 years!

I would tell him to have another look at Duster/Terrano. He found the driving position awkward as he wasn't able to see the bonnet. Ecosport is too cramped for him as he is 6'4" and even i am 6'3" :P

I would suggest you to go ahead with new Tata Aria Pride 4x4. It is loaded with all safety features and you say and Aria will have that safety feature.

Ride and Handling of the car is amazing considering size of the vehicle.

He doesn't like the Tata brand and finds Aria the worst. Any other pre worshipped ride you have in mind?

Edited by Prashantroxx

Buy a new vehicle and opt for extended warranty of another 2 years right on purchase and enjoy the new car smell and accompanying peace of mind for atleast four years.

My First choice has to be the Scorpio .It has too many SUV awards going for it and they all cant be wrong.

My second choice would be the Innova nothing beats it.

Another thing that beats me is that with such a good budget and ability to pay for high maintainence , why would you go for a used vehicle

I personally would never buy a used car with that sort of money.

Ok so i will drop the used ride idea as i just discussed with my cousin who owns all the three germans. Yhe maintainence costs are too high (his Q5 recently went for the regular service and costed him about half a lakh). So used car idea out, then it has to be between the 2 mahindra's. So XUV or Scorpio?

Xuv is a soft roader and filled with features but the scorpio is a full blown tough suv with ladder on frame chassis.Comfort wise the Xuv is best except the last row of seats which is cramped compared to the scorpio but the front and the middle row seats are very comfortable.My advise go for the XUV.

Xuv has breaking problem, and with small small niggles on equipments. I guess few recalls done, however its looks amazing SUV. Its pushed Tata Safari on back bench. I spoke n number of owners in Delhi and gets mixed feed back.

the xuv has breaking broplems but the brakes dont fail but they get faded after some rough and tough use and the abs system is responsible for it.This was my friends feedback who is using a XUV for the last 2 years.

XUV is a class above the Scorpio.

Its due for a facelift like the Scorpio.

Adding fuel to fire is the recent new feature packed model introduction which also indicate that company is trying to sell select stock at a premium as against a loss which is generally associated with out going models.

An update guys

My uncle surprisingly booked the Ciaz. I was shocked to hear that but loved his decision. He got the petrol VXi as the gap between petrol and diesel is very less now. I forced him to upgrade his booking to atleast a VXi +.

Atleast you were able to talk him out of a used car .

As long its a new car.I am myself happy with his decision.

Variants depend on the feature list one lusts, So it is a personal choice like the choice of car and one should respect that.

The main reason why i am telling him to upgrade to VXi+ is Safety. If i had to make a choice then definitely it would have been ZXi+ :D. Honda City was ruled out because it isn't what its predecessors used to be. It isn't sporty and doesn't look that good from front. If equipped with Xenon's and blackened inserts, the looks would have been way better.