Sign in to follow this  
ameya_m

Swift VXi braking issues

Hi,

I have a 2014 VXI Swift. Since the very beginning, I have felt that the brakes dont work well. Basically, the initial press of the pedal doesnt cause braking. There are two observations-

Firstly, usually, in city traffic, we tend to press the brake at with half-clutch to modulate car speed. In this case, the car simply continues to move and doesnt brake well. There is some but very little deceleration.

Secondly, I noticed, when I brake from a prolonged cruise, sometimes the brakes dont have the same effect all the time. It doesnt happen every time, just once in a while

Now, I know this was a known problem with the Swift in the previous verison but that it was fixed with an ECU tweak. I guess, since my car came recently, this tweak should have been incorporated. I complained about this problem at every service and also intermediately to Sai Service, but they inform that brakes in the car are this way only. At second service, they suggested I drive a Dezire and it had similar brakes. But comparing with another car is not the point. The point is that initial brake bite isint there.

Is there a solution to this problem such as rotor / caliper upgrade or pad replacement or something? I have alloy wheels fitted and I noticed that when the brakes are clean such as in the morning or when it has rained, they work really well. Also, final braking- where you press the pedal in hard, is good. So if the brakes dont bite, I press harder and the car stops with a jerk

Ameyam

ameya, why don't you write your concern to the maruti, via their website. I think the brake disc needs to be roughened as per you after rains the braking improves, due the presence of rust formation. Change the brake pads too, to example Bosch brand. Logic I could understand is that the brake shoes should wear out as we apply brake, in your case it seems that the material of the brake disc and the pads is of very hard material so both rub against each other and may be getting glazed.Therefore poor braking. In my car, Amaze, the pads are renewed every 10,000hrs and sometimes earlier as per the condition.

So, just don't rely purely on the MASS.

Hi Vikky,

I dont rely on MASS- I have a trusted mechanic who looks at the car first and he has also informed that the brakes are "normal". My car has done just 6000km but the brake problem was from the beginning.

When I first pointed out the issue, they said brake pads need cleaning. But if brake pads need to be cleaned to work, it makes little or no sense.

I had suggested initially to have my pads replaced. No point in talking to MASS here, so I asked my mechanic to do the same. He felt up my brake pads and told me that they had plenty of meat left, so no point changing.

Especially in the monsoon I am concerned. On Thursday evenings, it was raining cats and dogs and my car was waiting in a slight puddle. I took her out and started driving, then realised a bus next to me wasnt going to make way and I was driving towards a water logged street side so I braked gently and the car basically stopped in place. I couldnt believe how sharp that was. Then, I drove a bit more and needed to soft brake to reduce my speed and nothing seemed to happen!

Concern is that sooner or later, no matter how careful I am, they are going to come in that fraction late and cause me to kiss the car infront.

In addition a small issue- at the end of the braking run, there is a grunting sound from the front wheels. It goes like gurk-gurk in the same frequency as the wheel and the frequency reduces as the wheel slows. How come? Its been there for some. Earlier it was there in the left wheel, my mechanic said some spring had lost lubrication and he fixed it. Now it comes from the driver side wheel

Ameyam

@ameya_m;

Primarily its a matter of safety at first, so spending a penny more or less does makes a sense.

Since your car is new, 2014(definitely under warranty) make so asking MSIL or MASC for its solution is your prime right, after that you can get it corrected from outside mechanics or service center.

Yes regarding brake pads replacement, i agree as our fellow ACI-ian said, as try from Bosch, just not because it can correct the problem, but it might compensate the lacuna what standard brake is lacking. But even before i suggest you to do stick to what MASC does, else you will lose precious warranty of your car.

Well, its been several weeks since I wrote to Maruti and your advice and there is no reply at all. It means MS is aware of the problem but are unwilling to admit on account of the implications

Ameyam