neerajd

S Cross - Seen in Flesh

I actually searched for a S Cross topic and found none!

Is this car not gathering enough interest?

Well, I got a few snaps from a dealership under the Nexa flagship here in Pune.

Attaching a few pics. I loved the car.. and it looks much much better compared to the i20 Active.

And I feel it is a good alternative to those who do not want to drive a bulky duster around.. more car like.. crossover.

I was not allowed to drive this yet. It would be open for test drives only after its launch.

Bookings are at a mere 11000/- fully refundable if you don't like it when you drive it.

There is no guarantee on price rises.

post-3907-0-28998400-1436530394_thumb.jp

post-3907-0-55329200-1436530451_thumb.jp

post-3907-0-91644400-1436530456_thumb.jp

Was not allowed to click any interior pics.. but they are all available around on the internet.

The look and feel was definitely good though.

Notice - there is no badge on the car. This was a 1.6 though!

Thanks for sharing the pics pics Neeraj. Personally I dont find the car appealing but Ive heard the 1.6 litre engine is pretty good. Pricing is going to be key for the car and I feel an AT box should have been offered.

Did you get any pics of the Nexa dealership?

Just like what Maruti did in small car segment with lots of Models and variants now Maruti wants to crowd lots of cars in "Premium" segment also under the NEXA.

After "S Cross" Maruti will bring in YRA Hatch than there are pictures of small SUV surfaced.

Also we can expect Ciaz Sports version from Maruti under NEXA.

With respect to S Cross the exteriors reminds SX4 from some angles which is not very impressive. Maruti is pitting S Cross against Creta but Creta is miles ahead of S Cross in terms of overall looks as well as appeal.

Now that you have brought SX4 in the picture let me add ,

It will also fail like the SX4.

It is a complete waste of time.

You can see heavy discounts by this year end.

It has LOSER written all over it

+1 to Tejas and Librankur

It did remind me of the SX4 facelift that was around for a few months before it disappeared.

Its actually the original form of the SX4.. it was actually derived from the SX4 hatch that was sold in the European markets as a 4WD. This looks very ordinary compared to the cars it is going to compete with. The only plus side probably is going to be the 1.6 diesel that debuts with this car. That's probably going to be the next national engine!

I would certainly not write this car off without having driven it. The torque figures are really exciting from this engine.

Though S-Cross might be a competent product in itself but the fact is it doesn't have the design to woo customers.

In India, design plays a very significant role in buyer's mind.

It seems to have been over shadowed by Creta and frankly speaking S-Cross doesn't seem to have any big USP going it's way.

Only 1.6 diesel seems to be the saving grace.

Also, I don't know how come Maruti top brass seems to figure it out that failure of their previous premium offerings (Kizashi, Grand Vitara) were due to lack brand experience. I tend to think that they were just not good enough products as per market demand (read lack of competent diesel engines).

Nexa dealerships are already very thin to start with so customers have a sort of limitation (though Maruti says customer can book S-Cross at any standard Maruti dealership but vehicle will be delivered only by the nearest Nexa dealership).

While Creta, Duster, Ecosport , Terrano etc... looks full fledged Mini-SUV , S Cross looks more like a grown-up hatch.

Indian customers have not shown much interest in cars specifically in "Cross" segments . We have seen more flops viz. Etios Cross, Avventura, Polo Cross etc.. when the companies have tried to sell their hatchback by converting into "Cross".

Instead of positioning S Cross as a "Cross" vehicle Maruti should have launched it as a "Premium Hatchback" and should have marketed by focussing more on luxurious features.

cq5dam.web.650.600.jpeg

image1016-636x400.jpg

Some exterior as well as interior design elements will not appeal to the customers who is looking for an alternate to Mini-Suvs which are already available.

I agree Tejas. The car does not look by any means a mini SUV. But hey, its not marketed that way either.. They're saying its a crossover.

Maybe our market is not ready for something like this. This is something like when Ford Fusion was launched. The cars you mentioned, Polo Cross, Etios Cross, Avventura etc were all sub-4 meter cars derived from their respective hatch counterparts. This, though it resembles the SX4 by a great margin (cuz S Cross is what SX4 was based on), there are no similarities apart from that. Those cars even used the same engines that their hatchback variants used.

S Cross is no where small at 4.3 meters. Has good amount of space inside and the features are comparable to what i20 Active has to offer. The 1.6 diesel engine is somewhat a trump card they have.

I think, by comparing this car with the likes of Creta, Duster and Terrano, it is doing itself bad publicity or the way the car is being perceived is incorrect. Either way, the marketing team is screwing up. The design is nowhere as rugged as either the Duster or the Terrano. In fact, this looks much more outdated.

Talking about the earlier cars Kizashi and Vitara, I absolutely agree that they weren't a failure because of the lack of premium branding. Its the way a Maruti Suzuki is looked upon. I don't think changing from the M logo to the S logo helped them a lot beyond the success of the Swift.

Talk about buying a Ciaz and there are good chances that your friend might say - hey why not the City??

Another reason why its looked upon as a AAM AADMI brand is because all their cars look the same on the inside. Celerio uses the same gear shift as the Swift. The Ritz and the Swift have the same interior bits, well mostly. Ciaz uses a lot of Ertiga bits too.

Its something like the Honda Brio - whether you buy their 5 lac hatch or their 12 lac MUV, its the same look.

Lets hope Suzuki does make it right this time if at all it wants to make good number sales under the Nexa brand.

Brand building itself is long process for any company. Hyundai have also come a long way to change perception of people as korean small car manufacturer to good quality reliable cars.

I personally like Grand Vitara and still find it desirable Mini SUV. It has all right elements to fight with Duster , Terrano etc... Just need to spurce up interior with diesel engine and Grand Vitara is ready to fight. Exterior of Grand Vitara still looks very fresh.

I may consider to own a 2nd hand Vitara if I find from reliable source.

Absolutely unappealing from the pics. And I'm quite sure this is going to be a failure.

Still Maruti will be able to pull this off.

S Cross may get sales figures of approximately 2500 to 3000 units per month.

Engine and Boot space are USP of S Cross and people will love that. Also the interior especially dash design and overall interior feel which may attract people to go for S Cross.

The worst part of S Cross is Front portion which has feel of SX4 which is a generation old design that makes a new S Cross look dated and not fresh.

So S-Cross has been launched finally with below pricing.

1.3 Sigma - Rs 8.83 lakh

1.3 Delta - Rs 9.68 lakh

1.3 Zeta - Rs 9.99 lakh

1.3 Alpha - Rs 11.36 lakh

1.6 Delta - Rs 12.66 lakh

1.6 Zeta - Rs 13.71 lakh

1.6 Alpha - Rs 14.49 lakh

Well what more to say, Maruti has shot themselves in the foot.

To start with, DDIS200 itself seems overpriced (w.r.t to Ciaz and competition like EcoSport) and then they have DDIS320 with a further premium of 3 lacs !!

So apart from Ford, Hyundai, Renault guys having sigh of relief, current Maruti dealers who didn't opt or got Nexa dealerships will be most happy with their decision.

Don't know how those poor Nexa guys will be convincing customers to buy something like this.

I don't know but with recent launches (Jazz, Creta and now S-Cross) companies are just trying to push prices up.

A B segment hatch now cost 1 million bucks, C2 segment is now priced where earlier D1 segment used to operate and likewise.

German trio started this trend, a C class, 3 series, A-4 now cost above 40 lacs which was earlier territory of 5 series, A-6, E class.

I guess sadly the trend is here to stay and we will see some more absurd pricing in days to come.

I agree with you sachins. The pricing of some car is absurd and are not worth at all. Look at Nissan Micra. It's a small hatch with tiny boot and space for 4 with average performance but priced very high.

S Cross price is very high. It's better to opt for Scorpio AT than to go for S Cross.

Maruti has introduced another white elephant in a segment where people are looking for a SUV kind of looks.I wish they could have done this 20 years before to compete against Tata safari and this car may find buyers like Ministers ,bureaucrats etc.Maruti should introduce compact SUV with the same 1.6L Diesel engine it will make sense and find lot of young buyers.

So S-Cross has been launched finally with below pricing.

1.3 Sigma - Rs 8.83 lakh

1.3 Delta - Rs 9.68 lakh

1.3 Zeta - Rs 9.99 lakh

1.3 Alpha - Rs 11.36 lakh

1.6 Delta - Rs 12.66 lakh

1.6 Zeta - Rs 13.71 lakh

1.6 Alpha - Rs 14.49 lakh

Well what more to say, Maruti has shot themselves in the foot.

To start with, DDIS200 itself seems overpriced (w.r.t to Ciaz and competition like EcoSport) and then they have DDIS320 with a further premium of 3 lacs !!

So apart from Ford, Hyundai, Renault guys having sigh of relief, current Maruti dealers who didn't opt or got Nexa dealerships will be most happy with their decision.

Don't know how those poor Nexa guys will be convincing customers to buy something like this.

I don't know but with recent launches (Jazz, Creta and now S-Cross) companies are just trying to push prices up.

A B segment hatch now cost 1 million bucks, C2 segment is now priced where earlier D1 segment used to operate and likewise.

German trio started this trend, a C class, 3 series, A-4 now cost above 40 lacs which was earlier territory of 5 series, A-6, E class.

I guess sadly the trend is here to stay and we will see some more absurd pricing in days to come.

Well written comment

we were debating the same the , we are debating the same now

we were debating the same then , we are debating the same now