Sign in to follow this  
maverick786us1

Purchased a new CIAZ

I purchased a new Suzuki CIAZ. It is the top end model in Gasoline manual. Last night it was delivered, so I didn't get time for long drive. But overall I am impressed with the ride, features and I found it to be the best sedan Suzuki has ever produced for Indian market. Although I miss the electronic power steering.

But when I read the specifications, I was bit shocked. Mere 1020 KG weight for a car that is longer, broader and higher wheelbase than Honda City? Even i10 grand weighs 20 KG more than ciaz. Yes light weight is good for fuel economy. But we can't compromise the safety and other features. Less weight means less grip on the road, imagine you are driving at the speed of 100+ in an express highway and God Forbid if you are slightly hit by some bigger vehicle, because of the light weight the car will start rolling. The weight is helpful in maintaining the balance and grip on the road, that why VW Vento and Jetta are considered to be one of the safest car in indian road.

People who own CIAZ for more than 3-4 months, can you share your experience with me? Will the light weight compromise any of the safety feature?

Congrats. But Ciaz is a real beauty. Now love your car, handle it properly and drive safely. You made me smile, when I remembered an ad showing 4 people holding frame of Etios. The ad may have meant something else!!. An accident at 100 km/h will save nothing even a lorry. all the safety rating tests are done at much lower speed ~60km/h. You will benefited by easy availability of spares and many other benefits with Maruti.

Wishing you a Happy and Safe Drive

Thank you harikkuttan. I am not talking about a major accident. But lets say, you are driving an 80-100KM in a express highway, suddenly some other person made a mistake where he came closer to you, and in order to tackle, you suddenly made a turn or lets say that person made a slight nick with your car. In this case a heavy car like Vento (I know German cars always stress on build quality and engineering) might remain stable on the road because of the weight, flat design, If something similar happens to a Wagnor or a Santro, it might get off balance. What could happen to Ciaz in such scenario.? Because it weighs mere 1020KG. Off course it is much more balanced than a Wagnor, Santro or even Swift.

maverick786us1,Congrats! 1020Kg plus 4 passengers would be like 1300kg, is pretty high. Drive at normal speeds and you will be safe. Make sure cabin or the pollen filter is installed in your car so that the air condition system remains in its most efficient condition. harikuttan has rightly said about the speed and accident. Air bags will only deploy if you are wearing seat belts.

Do post pictures of your ride!!

maverick .us1..I agree with u.

It does fill light weighted..Its custom made for India.

Restrenghtened steel..reinforced frame are advertised ...but in reality we can't cross check.

Comparing with VW..no way it matches.

But practically speaking...ownership cost , maintenance, fuel economy,resale prise....reasonable safety...Maruti is Best !!

Congratulations ..for ur New..CIAZ..many more happy miles to go...!!

Congrats on your purchase! I'm having more and more respect for the Ciaz day by day, it makes total sense to the head and is also pleasing to the eye. Maruti certainly has done a stellar job, and also by pricing it right, although it is larger than the Honda City.

The light weight of modern cars is more due to the use of high tensile steel in the construction, which enables the engineers to lower the weight substantially while retaining the strength. And don't worry, crash tests are becoming ever more stringent and light weight doesn't necessarily mean that they are weak or dangerous. Think of the Amby, which was quite heavy and "strong", but a 100+ crash on it would certainly mean fatal! On the other hand, you are more likely to survive such a crash in a modern car which has crumple zones and the passenger "safety cell" coupled with seat belts and air bags. The only omission in Indian cars may be the avoidance of side impact protection beams, as there are no stringent requirements for that here.

Maverick786us1, You said that you have the latest model of CIAZ, Is it hybrid? What kind of battery, Li-Ion or Lead acid? This car when in neutral and when remains idle for some time, the engine stops etc. Do you actually come to know when engine restarts?

Maverick786us1, You said that you have the latest model of CIAZ, Is it hybrid? What kind of battery, Li-Ion or Lead acid? This car when in neutral and when remains idle for some time, the engine stops etc. Do you actually come to know when engine restarts?

Mine is a gasoline variant, not the hybrid diesel. But I have taken a test ride of the hybrid. When you put your car in neutral, then the engine stops and the moment you press the clutch, it starts. So you don't have to manually switch off the engine when stuck in lengthy signals.

Mav thats a great purchase. With you many happy kms with it. How bout a detailed ownership review with pics of your car?

Sure I will post snaps and my review. But in short there are 2 things that I love in this car.

1) Infotainment system is world class, all touchscreen with navigation, reverse camera with sensor, connection with your smartphone, the dealer also said that I can attach a DVD, which I didn't get time to explore yet.

2) With such a good infotainment, rear AC vents, Automatic temperature control which is amazing. I would say so many features are very hard to get on a car, which has such a low cost. Even the top end model of Corolla Altis might miss some features. I think it lacks rear AC vents, and the huge trunk space of 510L.

3) The fuel economy is amazing.

I will post pics and detail review of this car soon

Congratulations Maverick! Even i have a Ciaz VVT in the family. I would anyway prefer Ciaz over the Honda City. I found Ciaz better built than City and the blackend headlamps give it a very handsome look. Nothing can go wrong when you buy a Maruti :)

Today I went to fortpoint, thane to inquire about the new CIAZ, that is diesel hybrid, I asked if the salesman knew about tech stuff of the new CIAZ, he was affirmative. Queries--

1. What happens if the signal is red(time >180sec, one takes the foot out of gas pedal)and you want the Air conditioner to remain on? He had no idea

2. What kind of battery in CIAZ, he said Li-ion!!

3. If the cabin filter is prefitted and location of it? He didn't know the location

The temperature of showroom must be more than 35deg Celsius, so I rushed out without taking a test drive.

CIAZ doesn't have independent motor which could take over the engine's duty like in Prius.

However, one of my colleague recently purchased a Ciaz hybrid, and he said that, under automatic temperature control mode, if the car is in neutral and remains switched off, there is a sensor, that will measure the set temperature and in case find any variation, it will automatically start the engine to maintain that set temperature.

I purchased a new Suzuki CIAZ. It is the top end model in Gasoline manual. Last night it was delivered, so I didn't get time for long drive. But overall I am impressed with the ride, features and I found it to be the best sedan Suzuki has ever produced for Indian market. Although I miss the electronic power steering.

But when I read the specifications, I was bit shocked. Mere 1020 KG weight for a car that is longer, broader and higher wheelbase than Honda City? Even i10 grand weighs 20 KG more than ciaz. Yes light weight is good for fuel economy. But we can't compromise the safety and other features. Less weight means less grip on the road, imagine you are driving at the speed of 100+ in an express highway and God Forbid if you are slightly hit by some bigger vehicle, because of the light weight the car will start rolling. The weight is helpful in maintaining the balance and grip on the road, that why VW Vento and Jetta are considered to be one of the safest car in indian road.

People who own CIAZ for more than 3-4 months, can you share your experience with me? Will the light weight compromise any of the safety feature?

I didn't own Ciaz but i still wanna answer your queries in general.

Ciaz is having Electric power steering only, instead you might be missing the Gamestation like super-light feeling of other EPS units.

Yes, Ciaz is having lighter bodyshell but i think it is stable & solid strength wise. Yes it might differ over its solid rivals like Fiat Linea, VW Vento, Skoda Rapid interms of solid feel & weight though.

But safety features like Airbags, ABS & use of Seat belts do contribute towards a safer drive.

So, don't worry & drive safe.

& Congratulations on your buy.

Edited by dr_nishu