tejasmehta990

Skoda Rapid Facelift - The Game Changer for Skoda India

Skoda is in India since quite some time and made reputation to hold it's position in sedan market where other manufacturers struggle to establish.

1st it was Skoda Octivia than Laura and also Superb also the existing Rapid all have and are performing well in it's segment.

Now there is a great news that Skoda is introducing Facelifted version of Rapid which is in line with Skoda's new design philosophy and looks classy and one of the best looking sedans on our roads.

Is looks like Skoda has a winner here and will bring back the customers who loved Skoda Octivia.

Best of Luck SKODA MOTORS India.

SKODA-Rapid-StylePLUS-front.jpg2014-Skoda-Rapid-StylePlus-2.jpg

Skoda has approx.1.05% market share of the Indian auto industry. Indian mind set for luxury car still with Mercedes, BMW and Audi. The downside of the skoda is their poor dealer-customer relationship. Spares and services are also on the higher side.

The looks are pretty awesome!

Skoda with its models it has (apart from the Superb) by no means today, is considered under luxury segments. In fact, I feel that the definition of luxury has changed for the average India. But that's a topic to discuss elsewhere.

To add to what Vikky said, the plastics that Skoda has used on the current Rapid are way below the quality levels you would expect in a Skoda. Especially, people who are familiar with the quality of interiors on the bygone era Octavia and Laura. It's a shame.

The Swift comes with same, if not better quality of plastics.

I don't know what Skoda is thinking all these years!! It does not take this long to get your sales, marketing and after sales right.

Apart from poor A.S.S, I think both VW and Skoda seems to be caught in no mans land.

They neither seem to catch fancy of premium buyers nor of mass market.

In overseas markets, Skoda sits a notch below VW. But here in India it seems to portray opposite, like Skoda Superb, Octavia seems to be and marketed as more premium than VW Passat, Jetta.

Coming to Rapid, I think whatever little chance Skoda has to keep it's sales afloat is by bringing this facelift ASAP.

Entry level luxury sedan buyer is more wise.

No payment for first year or facelift versions are all marketing gimmicks..

A.S.S.....big question....

Neeraj is correct ;The impression about Skoda in the mind of a common man is that it is a luxury car. The definition of luxury depends on each individual. For some a car itself is a luxury item. Rapid is well comparable with Honda City and Ciaz. For daily long drives safety comes first and then only money. I feel that the significant face-lift is in the tail with a curved bumper, which was essential due to soft suspension and low ground clearance. The AS&S depends on the city. The main drawback is with the immediate availability of major parts. No dealer keeps the major parts and this is a problem with the dealers, where Skoda should take care about the minimum stock and spares available in the workshop. Looks of Rapid is appealing, which I feel better than the Honda City. Service cost of Rapid is also much comparable with its competitors. Once local vendors start manufacturing the spares of VW, these cars will become hit, as I have seen people saying about resale value before buying the cars. As car becomes old, more spares will be required. A person buying a second had car will look first for the availability and cost of spares.

Many customers want a package of 60:40 (affordability:quality)

For Skoda pricing plays important role. If they price the new Rapid competitively it can do wonders. As harikkuttan mentioned new Rapid should priced within the range of Ciaz.

Octavia was famous due to it's pricing , positioning (It attracted C as well as D Segment sedan buyers) and the image of build quality because when Octavia launched it was said that Octavia was built like tank.

Apart from built like tank image Octavia had one of the bst 1.9L diesel engine and big tires to add confidence among owners.

Edited by tejasmehta990

True game changer for Skoda would be a sincere and wallet friendly ASS! They are loosing customers not coz of their car's but coz of their absolutely scary after sales service!

Edited by Durango Dude

Completely agree with Durango here.

When I was in the market for a second dlesel sedan, there was an edition of Rapid retailing for 8.99 with all features I was looking for. ABS, Airbags and a fuel efficient diesel engine. Did I go for it - NO.

The only reason being the scary after sales service and exorbitant costs of maintenance.

One of my relatives sold his Skoda Octavia about 4 yrs ago (it was only about 3-4 yrs old then) only because of the service experiences. They were becoming a very costly affair with numerous problems cropping up every now and then. And mind you, this is for a well kept, serviced within the intervals car. He switched to a Honda City and is very happy with the purchase now.

Their DSG is a special bag of worms, never go for it.

This would be the same DSG in VWs correct? I was actually planning to save up for the Polo TSI. Although I haven't come across articles where problems specific to DSG are discussed, I know it is overall a very difficult brand to maintain. Both Skoda and VW.

I test drove the Polo TSI and was absolutely in love with the car. The way it drove, gathered speed, braked and esp. how it behaved in the S mode.

Any insights? It may help me make a firm decision.

The problems related to Mechatronics failure in VW DSG's are long gone now. They have replaced the gearbox oil afaik. I haven't heard of any new Octavia's having mechatronics failure. Just get the extended warranty and you will have no issues. Also read that new Superb has a different iteration of DQ200.

Heard news that sale of Vento is banned in India so Skoda can gain out of it by introducing facelift Rapid to take maximum advantage of this situation.

Any news about when the Rapid Facelift will be launched ?

A bit of a sad news here.

The new Skoda Rapid in India is not going to look anywhere close to the snaps here. These snaps are from the European facelift.

The Indian model only gets subtle changes. A few spy shots on this link from Team BHP can give an idea.

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/skoda-rapid-facelift-spotted-again

The rear remains mostly unchanged with only a new cluster tail lamp. The head lamps may get some additional chrome treatment. Sheet metal mostly remains unchanged.