PrancingHorse

Toyota Calya small MPV revealed. Good for India?

Toyota has taken the wraps off the Calya which is a small MPV. Powered by a 1.2 litre petrol engine it develops 88 horsepower and 108 Nm of torque. Comes with the option of a 5 speed manual of a 4 speed auto box. From the looks and size this looks like a direct competitor to the Datsun Go+ which currently has no rival in India. Maybe Toyota should launch this year as a 7 seater. With the Toyota badge this should do well. Even the dashboard looks well finished. What do you think?

calya1.jpg

calya2.jpg

calya3.jpg

calya4.jpg

Source

To me Toyota should have launched Avanza as Innova has moved further up the price ladder.

But may be they think they will not be able to price it competitively to fight with Ertiga, BRV etc.

Hence I think they might just launch this in India later on to compete with Ertiga etc (definitely not Datsun Go+ as per me).

But 1.2L petrol engine option seem too weak. Should be either 1.5L petrol of Etios or 1.4L diesel.

Edited by sachins

This car is perfect for Indian conditions & needs.

Toyota India should come up with this as early as possible with this car with 1.4 D4D Diesel & 1.2/1.5 VVTi Petrol for our market.

Btw, this car is having quite similar dimensions to Etios, Toyota can localize this car & share its dashboard with Etios twins which can give them the much needed change to boost its presence & sales.

The Calya has now received a number of interior and exterior updates as part of a facelift in Indonesia. Found this walkaround giving a closer look: