PrancingHorse

My new Carbon Steel Volkswagen Polo GT TSI

My old Honda City automatic 2003 had been serving me well for the past 10 years. Extremely reliable and a constant companion, this car had a special place in my heart.  The car in total is 13 years old and there was no way I could stress the old girl longer. So the time came for me to go in for a change. I dint not have to go through the fuss of deciding which car I wanted to buy. I wanted a car with solid build quality, loaded with all modern features and yes it had to be an automatic. And with all this in mind, there was only one car I wanted. The Volkswagen Polo GT TSI.

polo.jpg

I booked the car end of August and was given a waiting of about 1.5 months. The GT TSI is offered in three colours only. White seemed  to common and red was too loud for me. So we went ahead with Carbon Steel grey. I somehow managed to pull some strings at VW and got the car alloted to me in two weeks. However due to the inauspicious shraadh period, we had to delay delivery and we finally brought the car home on 2nd October 2016. 

Total on road price came to 10.51 lakh. I did my own zero dep insurance through a friend so saved a bit there. Rest the are no offers on the GT at all. They are selling quite well as I saw during my time at the showroom.

The car has such a fantastic feel to it. Its an expensive hatch but comes loaded to the brim. My version gets touch screen audio, auto dimming internal mirror and rain sensing wipers as well. The flat bottom steering is nice to hold and Im a big fan of all black dashboards. The mirror adjust switch feels a little fragile in an otherwise nicely finished and well built cabin. Space is cramped at the rear but that isnt a bother for me since I drive solo most of the time. The 7 speed DSG is a gem of a gearbox. Shifts are super quick and Im sure that will reflect in the FE figures, add to that I drive with a light foot as well. The car is still in the run in period, I have done just 370 km till date.

Got ceramic coating done for the car, got new number plates and a set of mats. There are a couple of things I have ordered from Ali Express but more on that later. I also got rid of the GT TSI stickers on the C pillar. I feel they look too wanna be. I also upgraded my tyres. The car came with JK Vectra 185 profile stock. I exchanged them for a set of Yokohama S-Drives with 195 profile.

Thats it for now. Will keep updating this thread as I munch up the kms. Till then here are some pictures

IMG_0539.JPGIMG_0551.JPGIMG_0547.JPGIMG_0546.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0543.JPGint1.jpgint2.jpg

IMG_0541.JPG

@PH, many congrats on the new car !!

Polo GT Tsi is the best petrol AT hatchback in the Indian market today.

Carbon steel grey is best suited colour for Polo amongst other colours. I also feel ceramic coating is worth it's price as it definitely keeps minute scratches and stone chips away.

Here's wishing you miles of happy and safe driving.

My user name is vkr15. This is my first post in this forum.

Graduated from a polo Highline(P) to the Polo GT TSI. My earlier polo was only 4 years old and had done under 20k kms but I was so smitten by  the combo of tsi engine and the dsg gearbox that I just couldn't wait to drive the GT. As you would have guessed by now I'm a pure petrol head. Have never driven diesel cars.The fact that the wheels of the recent GT have been upgraded to 16 inchers further egged me on to take the decision.I have also gone for the carbon steel grey shade for almost similar reasons given given by the OP.

Since the car is just about a week old have just done over 200km in it. Haven't driven in the S mode as yet or even in tiptronic mode. The registration of the car will take a couple of days more ( temporary registration is done ). That is the norm followed in these parts.Thought I'll share some information  of my car on this forum and exchange a piece of revelation that I hit upon today in my gt tsi. To my surprise ( A pleasant one I hope) , after a sedate drive( did not go above 90 kmph) I found the FE showing 37 kmpl!!! I hasten to add that AC was not used and most of the drive was on a highway that runs through the city where I reside. I know readers will be extremely sceptical and would want to see the pics as proof. Don't blame anyone for this as I don't believe it myself. I clicked a pic of the instrument cluster at a red light but can't upload at the moment since there is a limit of .49 mb. And, no, it is not instantaneous FE. Have driven a Polo(HL) for 4 years and the method of display is similar. This is the run in period and this level of fuel economy has not been seen by me in earlier drives( just a little over 200 km).

Can someone throw some light as to whats going on? Or is it that I've been  sold a car thats got a faulty meter ? Will be grateful if some guru can comment.

My post above.

A thousand apologies. Re-checked the MFD pic that I had clicked on my phone. It is in km/h and not km/l( FE). Now to go for a drive first thing in the morning and check the actual FE. I guess the goof up is a result of fiddling with the MFD buttons on the steering wheel. Will report if anything is amiss.

Apologies again.

@vkr15 Congratulations! on your new VW polo GT. With my limited knowledge, Car with DSG claims to give better FE(fuel economy) than automatic and manual. Your car's FE should be around the ARAI value. You will get steady FE figures after the running-in period. Happy motoring!

On 10/14/2016 at 1:59 PM, PrancingHorse said:

My old Honda City automatic 2003 had been serving me well for the past 10 years. Extremely reliable and a constant companion, this car had a special place in my heart.  The car in total is 13 years old and there was no way I could stress the old girl longer. So the time came for me to go in for a change. I dint not have to go through the fuss of deciding which car I wanted to buy. I wanted a car with solid build quality, loaded with all modern features and yes it had to be an automatic. And with all this in mind, there was only one car I wanted. The Volkswagen Polo GT TSI.

polo.jpg

I booked the car end of August and was given a waiting of about 1.5 months. The GT TSI is offered in three colours only. White seemed  to common and red was too loud for me. So we went ahead with Carbon Steel grey. I somehow managed to pull some strings at VW and got the car alloted to me in two weeks. However due to the inauspicious shraadh period, we had to delay delivery and we finally brought the car home on 2nd October 2016. 

Total on road price came to 10.51 lakh. I did my own zero dep insurance through a friend so saved a bit there. Rest the are no offers on the GT at all. They are selling quite well as I saw during my time at the showroom.

The car has such a fantastic feel to it. Its an expensive hatch but comes loaded to the brim. My version gets touch screen audio, auto dimming internal mirror and rain sensing wipers as well. The flat bottom steering is nice to hold and Im a big fan of all black dashboards. The mirror adjust switch feels a little fragile in an otherwise nicely finished and well built cabin. Space is cramped at the rear but that isnt a bother for me since I drive solo most of the time. The 7 speed DSG is a gem of a gearbox. Shifts are super quick and Im sure that will reflect in the FE figures, add to that I drive with a light foot as well. The car is still in the run in period, I have done just 370 km till date.

Got ceramic coating done for the car, got new number plates and a set of mats. There are a couple of things I have ordered from Ali Express but more on that later. I also got rid of the GT TSI stickers on the C pillar. I feel they look too wanna be. I also upgraded my tyres. The car came with JK Vectra 185 profile stock. I exchanged them for a set of Yokohama S-Drives with 195 profile.

Thats it for now. Will keep updating this thread as I munch up the kms. Till then here are some pictures

IMG_0539.JPGIMG_0551.JPGIMG_0547.JPGIMG_0546.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0542.JPGIMG_0543.JPGint1.jpgint2.jpg

IMG_0541.JPG

this car is really frugal sir. many congratulations to you on your new POLO GT TSI. Its the most loved Hot hatch in India. I have driven it a lot. I hope you must be enjoying its sports mode. The acceleration is very quick due to variable geometry turbo and also its very pliant on high speeds just like other vws. Its a very nice car and really meant for the enthusiasts.

Congratulations sir