anjan_c2007

My Lady in Red- a 1990 Yamaha RX100

yamahadr5.jpg

loading.gif

yamaha1nt5.jpg

loading.gif

I thought I missed out on buying the Yamaha RD350. It was too late. Yes, by 1990, it was fading  and was on its way out. The then best deal on two wheels for me was the Yamaha RX100 and I bought one very soon. That has done more than 50 K Kms with me since 18 years. It still gives the Pulsars and CBZ's a tough time.Its has still got that same old feeling. The engine is still untouched. I am a DIY (Do It Yourself)  freak and do most of the jobs on this bike myself. This bike has been used by me, all through the past 18 years. It has been very kind to me  and my pocket. The largest bill I ever had to pay was very recently, when I had to spend Rs 3800/- for its front suspension and for upgrading its power supply to 12 volts. It had a 6V power supply originally. I never wanted to tinker with it. But now  6V batteries are not available. the second hand bike dealers say I wont get more than Rs 7000/- if I decide to sell it. But that did'nt impress me much. Because I will not sell it.  I have upgraded the bike and keep on spending on it. If you love someone dearly, does money matter much ?

The paintwork and chrome are original. I will again post pictures of this bike maybe 10 years later!

Though I love cars and only cars, the RX 100 is the reason I keep on loving two wheelers too.

Some new pictures of this great bike!

sonyca37.jpg

This is a new speedo-instrument cluster that I changed to recently.

sonyca38.jpg

The new MRF Moto D rear tyre

sonyca39.jpg

The side panel paint faded and was hence repainted sometime back.It looks a bit dull compared to the original wine red paint on the petrol tank.

Where is the front no. plate?

The Number is painted on the Front Edge of the Front Mudguard.

See Carefully and you will notice it.

Well maintained bike anjan...i actually love this bike and my neighbour has it in black but its not that old...This one has got sleek looks and looks best in maroon that it came with...Nice review..

loading.gif
I thought I missed out on buying the Yamaha RD350. It was too late. Yes' date=' by 1990, it was fading  and was on its way out. The then best deal on two wheels for me was the Yamaha RX100 and I bought one very soon. That has done more than 50 K Kms with me since 18 years. It still gives the Pulsars and CBZ's a tough time.Its has still got that same old feeling. The engine is still untouched. I am a DIY (Do It Yourself)  freak and do most of the jobs on this bike myself. This bike has been used by me, all through the past 18 years. It has been very kind to me  and my pocket. The largest bill I ever had to pay was very recently, when I had to spend Rs 3800/- for its front suspension and for upgrading its power supply to 12 volts. It had a 6V power supply originally. I never wanted to tinker with it. But now  6V batteries are not available. the second hand bike dealers say I wont get more than Rs 7000/- if I decide to sell it. But that did'nt impress me much. Because I will not sell it.  I have upgraded the bike and keep on spending on it. If you love someone dearly, does money matter much ?
The paintwork and chrome are original. I will again post pictures of this bike maybe 10 years later!
Though I love cars and only cars, the RX 100 is the reason I keep on loving two wheelers too.
[/quote']

Anjan, your bike looks really great. I am sure you love this machine a lot. I think as you said, you shouldn't sell it as we will never get to ride a similar powerpacked machine in the future. If at all you decide to sell, I would recommend you to sell/gift it to your friend you loves this machine. At least you know that your bike is in good hands.....smiley2.gif

You have really cared for your old red steed well. After having it for 18 years sure not worth selling. Looks like you don't allow your kid's, also, to touch it. I know the feeling, when we let go of the Amby my dad had for some 30 year's sure felt heartbroken, and to think of it we traded it in for a Sipani D-1, don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Thanks FRG,CC, rki2007,sudeepd, bluesapphire,AlwaysGame and DD for the nice comments.

The bike is very precious to me. I often remember that these were banned in Punjab during the turmoil in the 1980's, as the outlaws could just fire and escape.And also if i pick up any old issue of Indian Auto the old (now defunct)  auto magazine of the 1980's and 1990's smiley1.gif (I still have most of them preserved) almost all the top three positions in any two wheeler sports event would go to the RX 100 till the Suzuki Shogun came and gave some serious competition.

FRG I will surely get those paints matched and thanks AlwaysGame for your good suggestion.

Wow Anjan, another fine piece preserved by you!

This was a cult bike, I kept it for 2-3 yrs, later gifted to a cousine of mine.

It gave immense pleasure to drive & pick up from the 2 stroke engine was good.

Are you sure this was banned in Punjab then, because as far as I remember Yamaha RD 350 & Enfield Bullet were surely banned.

I still see many of these on road & there's a constant itch to get hold of one!

Keep it with you, don't sell, its very well maintained too.

Thanks Born Free.Yes as you said I will keep it with me. As regards its ban in Punjab, I had read about it in newspapers. I am sure the people of Punjab will be able to recollect and corroborate, if its true.

Thanks for the pics of your RX 100. I recently sold my Silver RX 100 purchased in 1988 for Rs. 6000. I could have got a much better price but I sold it a youngster who takes great pride in restoring old classic bikes. After more than 20 years my RX 100 still starts without fail on the second kick. 

Very recently I got the bike serviced at BIKE ZONE (Castrol) and here are the pictures of the post-service RX 100.

The servicing took about three hours.I was one of the first customers

to reach there at 9.30 am. They diagnosed the bike- no problems at all. Only the tail

light bulb needed a replacement.I felt on Top of the World as a 19 year

old bike bumping into a reputed service zone and coming out unscathed is

miraculous!

It went through a wash, cleaning, oil change, lubrication and came out with its wine red and chrome shine.

Finally I got the bike at 12.30 pm. Took the day off from office and

was with the bike watching it from the glass enclosure a floor above.

Am quite happy with the job done. The charges were Rs 299=00 (an

introductory offer) for the service and oil change plus Rs 24 for the

tail light bulb.

And lastly they diagnosed that the brake light activator in the front

and rear brake levers had conked off. They did not have this spare.I

'll get that changed from the Yamaha A.S.S.

While delivering they also diagnosed that the handlebar/ steering

bearings in the box in front of the petrol tank were faulty and also

needed replacement. I do not have any problem with the handlebar

movement and hence did not pay much heed to this diagnosis.About two years back I had got done a thorough check up of the handlebar movement and wobbly bearings had been changed indeed.

204041d1254838951-my-red-yamaha-rx-100-y

204042d1254838951-my-red-yamaha-rx-100-y

204043d1254839083-my-red-yamaha-rx-100-d

The bike feels quite youthful again and takes me back to its youth in the 1990's!   smiley32.gif

Whenever I take it around for a spin it for sure still rattles some Pulsars, Hunks, FZ 16's and RTR's nonetheless.

anjan_c20072009-11-15 17:38:46

Good news for RX100 lovers. You might buy one in few months time.

India Yamaha Motors is currently planning to re-launch the legendary RX100 model in India.

Yamaha is currently looking for various opportunities including style, engine type and other factors before launching it. The company will maintain the same design of the earlier bike that provided some impressive results in the 1985 till 1996.

Yamaha RX100 will sport with the stricter emission norms might be with BSIV and including four-stroke engine and the company has said that they won

My bike has completed 20 years on the road on 06/06/2010.Am

renovating it with little efforts. Recently, the speedo would not

work. Bought a new cable (the cable is easy to blame always) and fitted

it myself. But to no avail. The speedo won't simply work.So took it to the

Y.A.S.S. and the fault was traced to the speedo gear attached to the

wheel drum. I got that replaced. Most of all I was in search of new side

panels of the original wine red colour. The Y.A.S.S. could give me a

new one for the right side. Here it is and the look is fresh

now.However the left one remains as it is as it will be made available

in the next one/two weeks.

ymonogram.jpg

The new front monogram

ytaillight.jpg

The new tail light

dsc05490f.jpg

And the new side panel on the right

anjan_c20072010-06-27 15:23:44

I have always had a thing for RX100s...But will never own or ride one. My best friend died recently on one.

Oh thats really sad. Why hate Yamy for that? Is that accident due to bike's incapability.

@Anjan, I would recommend you to search for a good local mech who specializes in yamaha.

I would strong recommend you to stay off Auto zone.

regarding your speedo meter, they call it warm gear, it goes off easily during rain. I've replaced it n no of times.

BTW, whats her mileage?FE
creativebala2010-06-27 18:38:19

The bike has been done up now with the speedo working. The gear (OE) on the front wheel disc was replaced at the Y.A.S.S.

The two side panels have been replaced with brand new wine red ones

from the Y.A.S.S. alongwith the RX 100 logos fitted therein.The right side panel was bought and fitted first. Then after a wait of nearly two

months the left side panel arrived.The YASS people were tired of my

phone calls and informed me when the consignment arrived. I picked it

up and got it fitted the next day.Thanks to the YASS - the spares are

still available!

Touchwood! The bike runs hassle free now into its 21st year.

446492d1288445645-my-red-yamaha-rx-100-d

446493d1288445645-my-red-yamaha-rx-100-d

anjan_c20072010-10-30 14:46:32

Thanks DD for the nice things you said.Would like to share this picture from 1993.The bike was 3 years old.The original paint in the OE side panels look

fresh. I got them repainted later sometime in the late 1990s with a

dull finish. Finally now in 2010, I have changed the panels altogether

as paint colours did not match!

447955d1288707990-my-red-yamaha-rx-100-d