FuelRunGod

Swift Sedan (Dzire) Test Drive Report

Here is an exclusive test drive report of the Swift Dzire.

Tata did it with the Indica, and Maruti have done a Tata. The Swift has now gone up a segment in the Dzire Avataar.

dsc4768cj3.jpg

Look at the car head-on, and you could be forgiven to think that it was a Swift, well nothing much has changed apart from the chrome grille. But look at it in profile and you see the transformation. The car has been reworked aft of the B-pillar. The rear door and window have been redesigned and are bigger than the Swift hatchback. It will be available in three variants - LXi, VXi and the ZXi and a ZDi variant as well. Prices are expected to be between Rs.4.6-6.0 lakh.

Has the transformation gone well? Well, it depends from people to people. In my opinion, the transformation doesn't gel as well with the rest of the body as it should. Its better than the Indigo's cab forward design, but you still know that this used to be a hatch. The best transformation in my opinion was the Ford Ikon, you could never tell that the Ikon used to be a hatchback.

dsc4782mf0.jpg

Coming to the interiors, its the same story, not much has changed. This means plastics are just about ok, but light years ahead of the Esteem. The dials are now white-lit instead of the orange on black like in the swift. Wheelbase remains the same, so expect a slightly cramped rear seat.

Engine options are the same as the Swift, which means the Esteems G13b unit will live on in its replacement as well. The DDIS however, will be the motor of choice. The huge amount of torque will do this car loads of good. Weight penalty is only around 30kgs heavier than the hatchback, so expect similar levels of performance. The gearbox is slick to use.

Is it a good deal?

dsc4767zw5.jpg

We think so, the top end will come with beige interiors, climate control and integrated audio system for a price of around 6 lakhs. For a car that drives well and offers all these features at this price, we certainly think this car should be given a second look by anyone who is looking to buy an entry level sedan.

Some Detail Shots

dsc4772fr2.jpg

Chromed Grille.

dsc4771qp3.jpg

Tail lamps look similar to the Swift.

dsc4824lq6.jpg

The integrated stereo on the top end variant.

dsc4817pq6.jpg

The rear seat gets an armrest.

FRG
FuelRunGod2008-03-20 13:33:32

seen the car... in dark blue color... not too bad but the tail could do with some more designing... coz the tail-lites the same as the hatchback. and about the overall looks.... its ooookkaaaayyy... but with the performance that u've described... its a definite winner.

but hey... i go for looks... so, i wouldn't opt for the DZIRE if this is how its gonna look..... hehehesmiley14.gif

i didnt like the car much, like FRG mentioned the transformation of Ikon is the best so far and this one doesnt fit well!!! lets see what ppl feel abt it?

FRG, does ZDI have the FIAT Engine???

Thanks for the feed back FRG. All said and done, Swift is more 'Dzirable' in the Hatch Avataar. Shudder to think what would have happened had they launched the VW Beetle here in India: in 6 months time they would added a boot and named it VW Beetle Juice and released it: on popular demand. Just think what will happen to the Fabia's/ Jazz's/ Punto's half way down its life cycle it will have a boot added. We Indians like big bottoms don't we, and we always like to lug around the extra lard, be central or gluteal.

The rear is a clear lift from the Hyundai XG300: it looks 'aww soo Korean'. But the rear is just like the butt of a "Bathak", the rear tends to jar and is not fully integrated. Don't worry we'll get used to it, after all, we took to the Santro like a duck takes to water, didn't we. Durango Dude2008-03-20 12:33:09

One more thing just to given it some muscles the boot is made verticle a drivers sore point .I don't think there is biege in top end varients too .Are the alloys same as found on the new Swift ZXi .

New pictures added in the first post.

FRG

Excellent pics and reporting FRG, keep it going. DZire is sure to be a hit and correct juncture at which to call it curtains for the Esteem; and retire the old warhorse and send it to the museum!!

i think its totally mismatched.....i hope it does not meet the same fate as of zen estilo.....IMO linea would have been much better as it resmebled esteem....but you never know ...there crossover sx4 as sedan in india is hit as of now....this might also go down well...maruti as a brand name sellssmiley5.gif....

hey guys i found these pics of the swift dzire sedan on some website
i m not able to post them here so i uploaded them to flickr account.
heres the link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24894151@N06/

the guy who drove it says that it handles almost the same like the hatchback but the boot is a bit high so it may be a problem while backing up.

in my opinion it doesnot look so good

the tires are JK 185s

NOTE FROM ADMIN: Please take the time out to search for existing topics before creating new threads.
FuelRunGod2008-03-21 05:30:04