FuelRunGod

Swift Sedan (Dzire) Test Drive Report

The front glass isn't too rakish, so basically the stance the swift had only looked good on a hatchback. The rakish C pillar and the stubby boot look disconnected from the front. It's better than what they did with the Indigo though. The design lacks fluidity and I think that it's easier conceiving a hatchback from a saloon instead of doing it the other way. I liked the way they designed the SR-V from Optra or the way they designed the esteem from the MK3 swift

Pricing has always been Maruti's forte, and when backed by a good engine and a decent (thw Hatchback was wow, the Notch is not there yet!!) styling, they are going to send shivers down the competitors back!!

thank you FRG. I got the chance to check out the car today in one of the outlets in Bangalore. My observations as follows.

1. good value for money no doubts

2. some design flaws that could have been corrected from the earlier swift like the thick a pillar and vision obstructing ORVMs could have been modified

3. the underbody is well covered, but they have left the rear brake lines open and they are likely to be hit by stones whilst reversing

4. the model VDi i saw on display had a dual link rear suspension which means the ride at the back could be a little choppy.

5. standard size spare wheel available which is good.

6. Maruti outlets could do better with the availability of the test drive vehicles, most of the outlets in Bangalore do not have the demo car, but the display is availalbe which makes it frustrating to just see it and not get it on the road.

dear readers... just a point to note, i would like confirmation on the dual link suspension i had mentioned, from what i could see, i wasnt quite sure, so am guessing here. it could also be a torsion beam 'H' type .. please validate this for me.

Booked the Maruti Swift Dzire Petrol Vxi (Silky Silver color) on 29th March 2008.

Some observations:

The four dealers I checked out had only the top end diesel variant Zdi for test drive in white color with the 'demo car' decals. No Petrol to try out.
Wonder why the petrols are not available for test drive yet?

Since the diesel dzire felt almost like the diesel swift, presumed the petrols would be similar and went ahead with the booking. Have paid up the ex-show room price plus registration etc - approx 500k+ - all except the insurance amount. Have been promised mud flaps, floor mats, number plates, steering cover etc free. Do dealers give any other freebies?

Dealer says the top end Zdi and Zxi will have a waiting period of 2 months but other variants would be delivered in 1 to 2 weeks. What is the experience at other dealerships across the country?

There was a black Vdi with the sign 'sold' on the car. Delivery pending the RTO approval.

The delivery of my car was initially promised for 3rd April 2008. The dealer said it was not possible earlier as the RTO had not yet cleared the car. Heard this ? mumbo-jumbo stuff recently from the Tata dealer also after the Tata Sumo Grande launch. Or are they telling the truth - the companies get the 'RTO clearance' only after the launch of the vehicle.

Even before the order was confirmed by me they revised the delivery date to 7th as they realised that they did not have the car in their yard but was actually 'on the way.' They also informed the 'chassis number' to me. Is this possible or is the dealer pulling a fast one?

For the 3rd time in two years I found a car being used for demo having the speedometer, odometer 'not working'/ ?disconnected. The speedo would'nt move and the odo was stuck on 211 Kms inspite of a 2+ kilometre drive. And this car, unlike the other two, was even marked as a demo car. On questioning, the executive said the speedo and odo were 'malfunctioning.' Same explanation that I had heard before. Found the explanation difficult to buy. Anybody else with similar experience?

Three cheers for another FTD & VFM car from Maruti [obviously FTD = Fun To Drive and VFM = Value For Money]! smiley20.gif

I was waiting for DZIRE for quite some time. On 28th took the test drive. I feel the beauty was worth a wait. The 'plusses' in it as an entry level sedan are as follows:

1) Beautiful exteriors, especially the rear. It is not at all ugly, as feared by many. To the contrary, the design is stylish and I am sure will grow upon most with time.

2) Tried and tested swift engines.

3) Wonderful mileage of Swift, especially in Diesel version (17-18 with AC in city and 22-23 on highways).

4) Trusted and wide service network of maruti.

5) Good boot space with a 30 kg addition which will not affect the performance untill the boot heavily loaded, which generally doe'nt happen in city running. On highway, anyway the average is enviable.

6) Rear space seems to be a bit more than swift hatch, although can't say this with 100% surity. Exterior definitely is more lighted.

7) Unlike the Indigo, which was a notch back of a taxi car, it is a notch back of a super stylish swift. This, I feel, is a plus.

8) Affordable prices.

Minuses:

1) Inbuilt stereo quality is satisfactory although I being a Bass enthusiast, would have been happier with more wattage.

2) Can't think of any more.

----

MARUTI has got a sure shot winner up its sleeve which is going to catch the attention of all value for money customers for whom upgrading to a sedan from a hatchback is a matter of 'Esteem' or rather now I should say a matter of 'Dzire' :-) And that too a quite stylish 'Dzire'.

I definitely fall in the above category and have already booked my DZIRE VDI.

Congrates !!

dealers may sale the demo car or they may be chating with people. i believe company provides a demo car to all dealers. 

I believe Maruti used to sell the Demo cars to the dealers cheap till they found out the dealers were selling it again and making a tidy profit. Now it is sold at full price. So no benefit for the dealer to sell it again.

Hi Guys,

I have booked DZire Xi with one dealer here in Hyderabad. It has been a while since I have booked the car. So far Maruti has not delivered any ZXi version to this dealer and I understand that there is an indefinite wait time for XI (also for ZDi) version.

I read somewhere that Maruti is sending only 3 to 4 cars to each dealer and they don't have choice of color or model.... that must be the reason I am still waiting! smiley19.gif

Does anyone know what is the real reason Maruti is not able to deliver cars as per demand? Is there any issue with the car?

Please help me... I am waiting desperately to get the car smiley5.gif

I visited Bimal Showroom in bangalore yesterday. I liked the Dzire and the top end VDI has everything from ABS, AIRbags Alloys, Climate control audio system etc... All this for 6.5 lacs on road. I dont see why people are complaining.... :)

BTW there is a 5-7 months waiting for the diesal in Bangalore

Also they had a customised car with upsixed wheels UBL speaker system, reverse camera sunroof  etc... for rs1.6 laks extra. that u can get it today if u want :)

@rajeevraj its the ZDi you are talking about . Also the mods done by the dealers aren't good enough and they earn a lot heck of money . For instance my DP swift VXi is 80k more than normal one and the changes are their in the pic itself and they demanded 45k for alloys and tyres (only 4) the spare was the steel one .