Comfortdriver

BMW 525d vs. Mercedes E280

Hi guys and gals,

For the time being I really can't partake in this haloed conversation; 'cause I can't afford the above mentioned rides. But mine has all that is there in the above rides , probably 4 airbags less, and rides like a dream, and can pick up her skirt and float on our roads, unlike the Beemer that can give u instant Spondylitis after spending upwards of 4000K, and mine costs only Rs. 9.3 lakhs, but is mundane as plane Jane, and her name is Elantra.... Durango Dude.

Hi Comfort,

You are right - it should be 45 - 46 and hopefully because of the competition they will also keep the trims and not make them expensive options.

As for Mercs being used as taxis - I also think that the back seat ride in Mercs are better than the other two so this could be a good reason. This could however play against Mercs since most would like to buy a car of that level which is usually not seen as a cab. It spoils the exclusivity.

I also read that the luxury class sales has been stagnating for a couple of years while Audi sales are going up hence the business must be going out of Mercs and Bmws - sad for Merc.

Mercs maybe expensive to maintain (India specific opinion) but they indeed are good if your driver is doing most of the running around.

An interesting point - spotted a 530i driven by a driver the other day - lucky him.

Hi FRG,

I just read the review of the BMW 525d in the current issue of the Autocar and they seem to have the same opinion that the 525d has a rather hash drive. It would be great if you can request Autocar to publish a comparison between the Audi A6, BMW 5 series and the Mercedes E Class for petrol as well as diesel in the next issue.

Thanks

Hi Comfort' date='
You are right - it should be 45 - 46 and hopefully because of the competition they will also keep the trims and not make them expensive options.
As for Mercs being used as taxis - I also think that the back seat ride in Mercs are better than the other two so this could be a good reason. This could however play against Mercs since most would like to buy a car of that level which is usually not seen as a cab. It spoils the exclusivity.
I also read that the luxury class sales has been stagnating for a couple of years while Audi sales are going up hence the business must be going out of Mercs and Bmws - sad for Merc.
Mercs maybe expensive to maintain (India specific opinion) but they indeed are good if your driver is doing most of the running around.
An interesting point - spotted a 530i driven by a driver the other day - lucky him.[/quote']

I just read in the papers that Audi has started manufacturing the A6 in India.

The price of the A6 is 39 lakhs and 45 lakhs and will have two petrol engines and two disel engine options.

I really hope that Autocar will carry out a formal review of  the 5 series, E Class and the A6 for both the petrol and disel versions.

Thanks

Comfortdriver2007-11-10 23:19:54

nice analysis... i think the bmw's gonna win this segment.. it looks better and has better interiors i guess..... and its rear-wheel drive... i think that makes it better than the merc.... 

nice analysis... i think the bmw's gonna win this segment.. it looks better and has better interiors i guess..... and its rear-wheel drive... i think that makes it better than the merc.... 

Only wish that the BMW had a better ride quality as it compares quite poorly with the Mercedes and I am sure that the Audi ride quality is better as well. I wonder why BMW has done such a bad job on their ride quality :-(. It would also help if BMW did something on their steering as it does not look as good as the classy Merc's wooden steering.

So for someone looking at suspension and ride quality, I don't think that they will like the BMW very much, but on all other counts the BMW may score more than the Merc. But then you cannot discount ride quality in such class of cars smiley3.gif.

Thanks

Comfortdriver2007-11-11 20:07:05

Yes the Audi rides better than the BMW. The only chink in the 5 series' armour is the ride quality.

FRG

Any insights into whether they (BMW) plan to fix this or is this a design issue where the ride quality gets compramised as the handling improves? The autocar review of the 5 series this month also points out the poor ride quality and suspension.

I don't know if any fixes are planned. But I think its a small price to pay for the brilliant handling. The 5 rides better than the 3 so its not all that bad.

FRG

Yes, the 5 definitely rides better than the 3, but then you aspire for that one car which has the best of everything especially when you drive the Mercedes E Class and get a feel of the ride and suspension quality. I really hope that BMW does something to fix their suspension and ride quality issues.smiley5.gif

I really want to know how much of a difference do those runflat tyres make against standard tyres with regards to ride quality.

FRG

I wonder if the tyre profile being changed from 50 to 55 will make a difference, but I do think that the run flat tyres are detiorating the ride quality.

why screw up the ride quality so bad just to free up some space in the boot ?? dont you think there's enough space in the boot already ?? some normal tyres and a spare tyre wouldn't hurt so much but it definitely would make the ride much more comfortable.... the run-flats dont make much sense in india with a pot hole every 10 metres

why screw up the ride quality so bad just to free up some space in the boot ?? dont you think there's enough space in the boot already ?? some normal tyres and a spare tyre wouldn't hurt so much but it definitely would make the ride much more comfortable.... the run-flats dont make much sense in india with a pot hole every 10 metres

I agree. I only hope that BMW is listening to this as well as the reports in various magazines that have reviewed their cars and are doing something on the run flat tyres as well as the profile (50 vs. 55).

I really want to know how much of a difference do those runflat tyres make against standard tyres with regards to ride quality.

FRG

FRG,

Do you know if the BMW faces the same problem in the 7 series as well?

FuelRunGod2007-11-15 22:21:28

i have seen prob in run flat tyre in the BMW and it was given in what car report a problem the run flat tyre of that BMW of Bangalore got Bulged! i hope BMWs improve on that , by the way what is the ground clearence of BMW 3 series and 5 series and also what is it in the Merc?

i have seen prob in run flat tyre in the BMW and it was given in what car report a problem the run flat tyre of that BMW of Bangalore got Bulged! i hope BMWs improve on that ' date=' by the way what is the ground clearence of BMW 3 series and 5 series and also what is it in the Merc?[/quote']

FRG could correct this, but my own understanding is that the ground clearance in the BMW 3 series is about 144mm and in the 5 series about 142mm. The Mercedes E Class is about 123mm and the C Class is about 130mm. In my view the Mercedes gets its bottom hit at times in very bad road conditions and will need a better ground clearance.

heard that' date=' run flat tyres affect ride quality.
but hope that the newer versions will solve this problem.[/quote']

I hope that they are atleast listening. The BMW 5 series may be a good car in terms of ride quality on good roads in the US and Germany, but definitely needs improvement in terms of ride quality on Indian Roads.

i have seen prob in run flat tyre in the BMW and it was given in what car report a problem the run flat tyre of that BMW of Bangalore got Bulged! i hope BMWs improve on that ' date=' by the way what is the ground clearence of BMW 3 series and 5 series and also what is it in the Merc?[/quote']

FRG could correct this, but my own understanding is that the ground clearance in the BMW 3 series is about 144mm and in the 5 series about 142mm. The Mercedes E Class is about 123mm and the C Class is about 130mm. In my view the Mercedes gets its bottom hit at times in very bad road conditions and will need a better ground clearance.

Thats really a very low ground clearence for indian roads its just not very friendly!

Cheerssmiley20.gif

Thats really a very low ground clearence for indian roads its just not very friendly!

Cheerssmiley20.gif

I know that other cars such as the Ford Fiesta have higher ground clearance, but I think the overall suspension technology is different in these class of cars which allows them to get away with lower ground clearance. Even then, I know that the Mercedes get their bottom hit on real bad roads, but is okay on 99% of the roads.