Comfortdriver

BMW 525d vs. Mercedes E280

FRG' date='

Do you know if the BMW faces the same problem in the 7 series as well?[/quote']

Just drove the 7, didn't face any ride issues.

FRG

Does the 7 series come with Run Flat Tyres? Can you also provide information on the side wall size of the tyres?

I was checking with a few of my friends who own the BMWs 5 series in the US and they all accept that suspension is quite hard and the ride harsh even in the US compared to other cars such as the AUDI or the MERC though they love the car for its other capabilities. I wonder why BMW has not done much in terms of tuning the ride quality, especially when it had to deal with Indian roads smiley6.gif.

I was checking with a few of my friends who own the BMWs 5 series in the US and they all accept that suspension is quite hard and the ride harsh even in the US compared to other cars such as the AUDI or the MERC though they love the car for its other capabilities. I wonder why BMW has not done much in terms of tuning the ride quality' date=' especially when it had to deal with Indian roads smiley6.gif. [/quote']

Its supposed that BMWs are really goood , but i am surprized about this! i loved thier styling very much hope they Do something to rectify it , and  am sure they will,

regards,

Priya

I just got some information on the Audi A6 in India. They have two petrol and two diesel models. The higher end diesel (3.0 TDI) and petrol (3.2 FSI) have come standard with all wheel drive and is priced at about 45 lakhs. The lower end petrol (2.8 FSI) and diesel (2.7TDI) come with front wheel drive at about 39 lakhs. The have an attractive comfort package which includes a Bose stereo, memory seats, visual parking aids, adaptive air suspension amongst others at an additional cost of about 2.5 lakhs. It atleast seems that Audi is not compramizing what they bring into India like Mercedes in India and would probably be the most hitech car in India. I also hear that the ride quality in the Audi is almost as good as the Merc. It might be a good blend of the Merc and BMW. The one person who reviewed the 3.0 TDI in this tread liked the car a lot and it might be good to get other views from others who have driven the Audi A6.

Hi' date='
Yes, Audi is going to assemble the A4 & A6 in the skoda plant and as per information available to me the India assembled cars will be available from March - June 08. They are not taking orders for the same though so you can expect a delay.
There will indeed be a price difference but not more than 1 - 2 lacs I think. For example the car I bought was for little over 50 lacs on road and once they sell the India assembled ones it would be 48 - 49 lacs. So, for an extra couple of lacs you get original German fit & finish with all the international trims - no compromise. They cannot be 50% cheaper so do not expect a A6 for 30 lacs or so.
I could say the above because I window shop a lot and compare prices all the times. I remember buying a Skoda Octavia before they started assembling them here and besides the fact that I am very happy when they launched the Aurangabad factory assembled ones the prices went up by 50 k to 1 lac hence I benefitted heavily - moreover they stopped the 2 litr petrol with all the safety features (which my car has) hence I always get offers which are much more than other India assembled Octavias six months to one year newer than mine. [/quote']

Hi,

Can you let me know the configuration on your A6 and the cost ex-showroom? The 3.0TDI all wheel drive has now been released at 45 lakhs ex-showroom, but it increases to 47.5 lakhs if you include the comfort package which includes Bose music system, adaptive air suspension, memory seats, bluetooth phone connection and a couple of other features. If road tax, insurance is applied on this, it would come up to about 51 lakhs which is not very different from the price you bought except, I am not sure if you got the comfort package as a part of your deal.

They have also released a new 2.8FSI engine which is supposed to be better than the earlier 3 litre engine.

The November edition of Autocar has a comparison of the BMW 5 series' date=' Audi A6, Volvo S80 and the Mercedes E class :-).

[/quote']

By the Way Which car Won in comparision and how much did our BMW fare??

regards,

priya

The November edition of Autocar has a comparison of the BMW 5 series' date=' Audi A6, Volvo S80 and the Mercedes E class :-).

[/quote']

regards,

priya

I just saw the cover page on www.autocarindia.com, but have not seen it yet on the stands. I will let you know as soon as I get my hands on it. There seems to be a similar comparison (without the Volvo) on the latest version of Overdirve as well, but again it is not yet available on stands.

From previous reviews Overdrive has been slightly generous to the BMW compared to Autocar, but from my own experience, I feel that Autocar reviews seem closer in reflecting my own experience with these cars.

FRG,

In case you have had a chance to review these cars, how would you rate the front wheel drive Audi A6 against the Mercedes E Class and the BMW 5 series? Audi also has an all wheel drive version which is significantly more expensive than the Merc and the BMW and may not be a correct comparison, but has one version in diesel (2.7 TDI) and one in petrol (2.8 FSI) which are front wheel drive.

The front wheel drive A6 lacks feel in the steering, dynamics are good. It holds its line well. But its all ruined by the steering which frankly doesn't give much feedback. But thats the only thing bad, otherwise its a good car and that is why it won.

FRG
FuelRunGod2007-11-25 10:39:34

The front wheel drive A6 lacks feel in the steering' date=' dynamics are good. It holds its line well. But its all ruined by the steering which frankly doesn't give much feedback. But thats the only thing bad, otherwise its a good car and that is why it won.

FRG
[/quote']

FRG,

I just got my hands on the magazine and went through the review and wanted to check out some points on the Audi A6. I have just started interacting with Audi and they mentioned that the 3.2FSI engine come with standard 4 wheel drive while the 2.8FSI engine has just the front wheel drive option. It seems that you have tested a 2 wheel drive 3.2FSI engine which to my knowledge is not available for sale in India at the moment unless imported. It also seems that you have added on the comfort package provided by Audi in the test configuration as it does not come standard with features like adaptive air suspension, optical parking assist as a part of the standard package.

Please clarify.

I agree with the overall verdict that the Audi A6 seems to be the best value for money in terms of features and it seems to be a good mix between the BMW and the Mercedes.

[/quote']

regards,

priya

Priya,

The BMW 530i was tested and that comes with even lower profile tyres than the 525d and the ride quality was bound to be bad. It seems to have reflected back very poorly on the noise levels in the cabin as well. The Audi A6 3.2FSI has won the comparison due to its balanced design and also has the most number of features that cars in this class should provide in India (unlike the Merc E Class :-(). The BMW 530i has scored lower than the Audi A6, but higher than the Mercedes and Volvo.

The front wheel drive A6 lacks feel in the steering' date=' dynamics are good. It holds its line well. But its all ruined by the steering which frankly doesn't give much feedback. But thats the only thing bad, otherwise its a good car and that is why it won.

FRG
[/quote']

FRG,

Also the road clearance of the Audi A6 is only about 113mm. Without the comfort package which includes adaprive air suspension which increases the car height by 3 cms, the car would be hitting most of the speed breakers in India. I am not sure how Audi missed this one.

FRG,

Sorry about the multiple post question, but also wanted to check when the next major platform revision of the A6 is due. I know that the E Class is due for a revamp in 2010 and the 5 series in 2011 and wanted to check when the Audi A6 was due for a change.

PS: The Audi A6 wheel base is shorter than the BMW and E Class. What would the effect of this be?
Comfortdriver2007-11-26 01:06:42

FRG
[/quote']

then who came 2nd , 3rd and 4th respectively??

Regards,

Priya

As far as I know the car tested was a press car, so this should have all the stuff mentioned standard. And I donot remember hitting any speedbreakers, and we did drive on bad roads too.

I have to rush to BKC, will reply tomorrow to the rest.

FRG

FRG
[/quote']

then who came 2nd , 3rd and 4th respectively??

Regards,

Priya

Second was the BMW 530i and the third and fourth place were shared by the Volvo and Mercedes.

As far as I know the car tested was a press car' date=' so this should have all the stuff mentioned standard. And I donot remember hitting any speedbreakers, and we did drive on bad roads too.

I have to rush to BKC, will reply tomorrow to the rest.

FRG
[/quote']

If it was the 3.2 FSI, it should have been the all wheel drive as that is the configuration that they sell it in India. The comfort package is an option for Rs. 2.5 lakhs which includes adaprive air suspension which allows you to increase the ground clearance of the car. Without this, the car would be at about 10.5 cms clearance which IMO will hit large speed breakers.

Post Deleted.

Please post only when you think you will add value to the discussion. Posting for the reason of increasing post count is strictly prohibited.

FuelRunGod2007-11-27 10:40:53

Hi,

I just read the Overdrive comparison of the BMW 525d, Audi A6 3.0TDI and the Mercedes E280 CDI. They have rated the BMW as the best car over the Audi A6 TDI. So it seems that the BMW and the Audi are really quite close to each and it would now depend on personal choices to take a decision. My own feeling about the three cars is as follows.

1. Mercedes E Class has the best ride quality. Its cabin noise levels are quite low especially in city driving conditions where atleast I spend most of the time :-(. Its service network is probably the best. However the features in the car, especially that which is delivered in India is really stingy and does not deserve it to be even in this class of cars.

2. BMW 5 series. It probably is the best to drive and has a modern fancy cabin with a lot of electronics and features. It however lacks the ride quality and low noise levels that one expects in these categories of cars.

3. Audi A6. It is a balance between the Mercedes and the BMW. It does not drive as well as the BMW and does not have the ride quality of the Mercedes, but it definitely has the features that none of the other cars have atleast as an option such as the adaptive air suspension, bose sound system, blue tooth connection as a good package price. It however has a very low ground clearance (118 mm) which is bound to hit some of our regular speed breakers.

This is just my summation of the three cars and one would really need to look at their priorities before they decide on the car. For example, I do not get a chance to drive cars that I own at illegal speeds and even if I do it is once in a while as I spend more time in the busy city roads with a lot of potholes and speed breakers.

In this case, I suppose the Audi would be the best bet except that they need to fix the low ground clearance issue or I would need to buy the car with the premium package which contains the adaptive air suspension which allows me to increase the ground clearance. I would also have a concern about Audi's ability to service since they are just setting up their network.

The Mercedes would be the next best bet since it has the best ride quality and noise levels are really low inside the cabin, and have a great service network, but the lack of features which are basic in this category of cars which is just not acceptable.

The BMW is a great car to drive, but the ride quality and noise levels within city conditions is just not acceptable.

So given my needs, I think that I would consider the Audi A6 over the other cars.

Overall, the Audi gives you the best of both worlds along with a good amount of features. The BMW serves a different purpose ie. to satisfy the child in you. The brilliant handling will make you want to take corners again and again. But in the real world, the harsh ride would really hurt when you are tired and just want to get home in comfort.

FRG

Overall' date=' the Audi gives you the best of both worlds along with a good amount of features. The BMW serves a different purpose ie. to satisfy the child in you. The brilliant handling will make you want to take corners again and again. But in the real world, the harsh ride would really hurt when you are tired and just want to get home in comfort.

FRG
[/quote']

FRG,

I agree. The risk in Audi is the service network and the low ground clearnace. Kindly do respond to my previous queries when you get the time.

Thanks

I had a chance to test drive the Audi 2.7TDI today and here is my perspective on the car.

The car cost 39 lakhs and you can purchase a comfort package which include memory seats, blue tooth phone connectivity, adaptive air suspension where you can increase the ground clearance by 3cms, automatic boot lid close and Bose car system for an additional 2.5 lakhs. This car probably provides the best value for money in this class of cars and even beats the BMW in terms of features. However, there are a few major concerns that I would like to highlight...

1. The car has a very low ground clearance (118mm) and without the adaptive air suspension, the bottom of the car hits some of the speed breakers. I got the bottom hit on a couple of them during the ride today.

2. Audi has tried to make the A6 sporty and has reduced the tyre wall size to 45 which in my opinion has affected their ride quality. Though the ride quality is not as bad as the BMW 5 series, there A6 ride quality is no comparison ot the E Class. I feel that increasing the tyre wall size to 50 or 55 would probably increase the ride comfort considerably.

3. The interiors of the A6 could be better with little more wood as in the case of the E Class.

4. I am not sure about Audi's service abilities.

Apart from the above, the car is a great combination of the BMW 5 series and the Mercedes E Class and I hope Audi does make the necessary changes to improve its ride quality and ground clearance as it would then become a great option for users who primarily do urban driving.

Comfortdriver2007-12-12 14:43:59