Comfortdriver

BMW 525d vs. Mercedes E280

My brother and i own and share both the cars mentioned above, so i can give a fair opinion based on my experience.

We got both the cars around the same time. Although the bimmer was more popular initially, we both have now started prefering the merc. The ride and the drive is more comfortable. I do miss some of the electronic gizmos that the BMW has although the merc's interiors look more plush even though it has less gizmos. The interior lighting especially in the merc is very stylish.

I actually like the joystick transmission lever in the BMW though people here have criticised it. It takes a little getting used to but is very convienient once you're familiar with the car.

Most people think the BMW's engine is better, but the merc is no slouch either. The new 280 cdi comes with a 7 speed transmission and is quite torquey too.

Overall, i think the BM has better and more youthful looks than the merc but for everyday use the merc is a way better car.

My brother and i own and share both the cars mentioned above' date=' so i can give a fair opinion based on my experience.

We got both the cars around the same time. Although the bimmer was more popular initially, we both have now started prefering the merc. The ride and the drive is more comfortable. I do miss some of the electronic gizmos that the BMW has although the merc's interiors look more plush even though it has less gizmos. The interior lighting especially in the merc is very stylish.

I actually like the joystick transmission lever in the BMW though people here have criticised it. It takes a little getting used to but is very convienient once you're familiar with the car.

Most people think the BMW's engine is better, but the merc is no slouch either. The new 280 cdi comes with a 7 speed transmission and is quite torquey too.

Overall, i think the BM has better and more youthful looks than the merc but for everyday use the merc is a way better car.
[/quote']

I agree with your assessment, but I only wish that Merc learnt from its mistakes and provides a few more features compared to its previous versions in India. Charging 50 lakhs for a car (or even 30 lakhs for the C Class) and having manual seat levers seems unacceptable to me even though their ride quality is much better than the BMW and the Audi.

On a different note, I feel that the Audi A6 ride quality may become better if they used high profile tyres.

FRG u are riight. it has to do withthe aluminium construction. they use different metals for body panels in different areas. Lighter aluminum bonnet and other body panels for front section to compensate engine wt. and conventional metals for remaining section

I was watching the Overdrive program on CNBC TV 18 today and the feedback seems consistent. The Audi A6 and the BMW 5 series have very stiff suspension and the ride quality is harsh. The Mercedes E Class has the best ride quality and would probably be the best bet for day to day driving though the BMW 5 series is truly a drivers car if you manage to get into a race track. It is really unfortunate that the Mercedes E Class lacks the features that the Audi A6 and the BMW 5 Series offers.

The Audi A6 may be a good option if they manage to do something about their suspension and improve their ride quality.

Audi slot nicely in the middle of both worlds .Better ride than 5 series and more equipment than E class .I hope BMW upgrades 5 series suspension as they did in 3 series.

Audi slot nicely in the middle of both worlds .Better ride than 5 series and more equipment than E class .I hope BMW upgrades 5 series suspension as they did in 3 series.

I agree that the Audi A6 is a good balance between the BMW 5 Series and the Mercedes E Class. My wish list with Audi is that they imporve further on their ride quality by increasing the tire wall size. They are trying to model their cars as sporty, but that results in a bad ride on Indian roads. I don't think that BMW and Audi have figured out that they need to focus on better ride qualities on Indian road.

I am hoping that they are listening to the voices in these forums.

Hi,

I read that Audi is planning on a facelift to the current A6 this year on the web.

Does anyone have any information on when this model would be available in India and the type of changes that are likely to be made to the interiors and its suspension?

I hope that they do something about their suspension while retaining atleast their current features (with the comfort package) which is way above competition.

Every one update a car now and then so how long can one wait for a real updated car just buy the current one you know a better update will come after this update and the next X next ............. will be better.

I wish to remind you all' date='

We are BORED with mercedes,

BMW is the 'new' thing for our roads.

and the fact remains that the BM is a compassionate driver's car.
[/quote']

I only wish that BMW had the ride quality quality of the Mercedes. I am also very concerned about their ability to service as their response to sales calls is very poor:-(

But right now BMW has so many orders that the waiting period for the 5 series is about 4 to 5 months! Similar case in the 3 series as well where they seem to be outselling the C Class by quite a margin!

I agree that the Merc is classy and have great ride quality, but the BMW is unquestionably the 'ultimate drivers car'! If you enjoy driving, the BMW certainly scores better than the BMW, and refinement is excellent too in the Bimmer.

The dash layout and interiors of the Mercedes is very elegant and classy, and the BMW doesnt quite match this.

When it comes to servicing; yes, BMW doesnt have an established network like Mercedes in India. All the same expect service costs to be better for the BMW. The service intervels are longer for the BMW although it depends on your driving style. If yor drive it hard, then service intervels are smaller. All the same, expect to do 3 services for the Merc when the Bimmer only would have required 2, for the same mileage.

The review at the start of the thread is fair, keep it up! Although it focuses mainly on the negative points rather than the pluses!

I wish to remind you all' date='

We are BORED with mercedes,

BMW is the 'new' thing for our roads.

and the fact remains that the BM is a compassionate driver's car.
[/quote']

I only wish that BMW had the ride quality quality of the Mercedes. I am also very concerned about their ability to service as their response to sales calls is very poor:-(

But right now BMW has so many orders that the waiting period for the 5 series is about 4 to 5 months! Similar case in the 3 series as well where they seem to be outselling the C Class by quite a margin!

I agree that the Merc is classy and have great ride quality, but the BMW is unquestionably the 'ultimate drivers car'! If you enjoy driving, the BMW certainly scores better than the BMW, and refinement is excellent too in the Bimmer.

The dash layout and interiors of the Mercedes is very elegant and classy, and the BMW doesnt quite match this.

When it comes to servicing; yes, BMW doesnt have an established network like Mercedes in India. All the same expect service costs to be better for the BMW. The service intervels are longer for the BMW although it depends on your driving style. If yor drive it hard, then service intervels are smaller. All the same, expect to do 3 services for the Merc when the Bimmer only would have required 2, for the same mileage.

The review at the start of the thread is fair, keep it up! Although it focuses mainly on the negative points rather than the pluses!

To be fair, there are so many good things about these cars that it would take too long a thread to capture all their features. So I focused on the short coming of each of these cars relative to the others.

I think ultimately it is for the individuals to choose dependent on what they plan to use their cars. If they plan to use the car in city driving, I suppose the Mercedes is still the car to look at in spite of all its lack of features, purely on ride quality. However, I hope that Mercedes takes note and increases the features that they put into their cars and stop short changing their customers.

If you are a user who has the opportunity to drive fast in your day to day life, then the BMW is the ideal car.

If you are a person who has a combination of doing long distance drives and city driving, then the Audi cound be a good choice.

However from my perspective where I do a lot of city driving, I only wish that the Audi and the BMW had better ride quality.

I just read that Audi has a minor upgrade internationally and that they have improved on the suspension. This has been an issue in the current Audi A6 and I hope that the new model which is likely to be available in India next year will overcome the ride quality flaws that it currently has...