Sign in to follow this  
gearhead3

Introducing myself

Hello, fellow members!
First off, thank you Autocar India for accepting my application for membership to this forum - it’s certainly a pleasure! I am Shashanka Choudhury, a 65+ year old, young at heart, fully -retired marine engineer. The last stint I did on a blue water flag was a 10-year tenure (no pun intended) as Chief Engineer on Mitsui's car career fleet, ferrying cars (mostly Japanese) round the world, usually to the U.S., Europe, Central and South America.

I have been an automotive gearhead (I prefer the term over the more popular petrol head as I've worked with Diesel engines all my working life!) since I was first smitten ( by a little Renault Dauphine) as an 11-year old, cycling my way to school in the early sixties. From that, I (and my fellow felons) graduated to surreptitiously peeling the Motoring centrespread from the Illustrated London News (now defunct as so much else in this world) in the British Council Library above the old Mayfair Cinema in Lucknow. I was doing my Inter Science from Christ Church College at the time and our coup-de-grace was a blow-up of the Maserati Ghibli (the original, not the current iteration) which was one of Georgetto Guigiaro's earlier and most spectacular successes. I must still be having the cutting somewhere. 

Over the years, very fortunately, my wife and I have been able to indulge our abiding interest in touring the country by road. It started with a trip (in 1995) from Mumbai>Lucknow>Uttaranchal>Lucknow>Mumbai, spending time both in Lucknow but mostly touring Uttaranchal. The route: NH3 to Shivpuri and then NH25 to Lucknow via Kanpur. Our steed of choice on that first trip was a white Maruti Omni which we had bought in 1988 and on which we lavished a great deal of TLC! 
Since then there have been many more trips to Uttaranchal (have lost count to be quite honest) as well as trips from Mumbai>Madikeri (Coorg district in the Nilgiris) and back as well as trips from Lucknow>Kolkata and back. There have been other cars too - the Tata Sierra, M & M Scorpio, the Hyundai Getz, the Maruti Eeco – the Scorpio & the Eeco are still with us.
We are also serious dog lovers - we have had boxers, and only boxers - for the past many years. One of them - Daisy, may her soul rest in peace - was the B-O-B Champion at the INKC show in Mumbai in 2004. And they have also been our travelling companions for most of our trips.
I also have an interest in the paranormal, including UFOs and the alien abduction
phenomena. This last has often resulted in a certain amount of ribbing from friends and family members. But then, as I have always maintained, to each his own!

I'll wind up here and once again thank Autocar India and hope that I can contribute to the fun and enjoyment of this forum.
With best regards,
Shashanka Choudhury