Itsme

Small car !!

Help out guys - santro GL or i10 Era ; spark service in city might be a problem else it could have been a choice. Do u think marutis ( alto, wagon r , estilo or swift) compare well ? Fuel efficiency, ease of city driving and cost of ownership are major concerns. Will hardly do 2- 3k per year.

Would there be a regular rear seat usage?

And how about the age of riders?

Just asking coz if only the listed cars were to be recommended per se, there is no looking beyond the Swift.

It appears that the short list is Swift, Santro and i10. If this is true unless someone must have a tallboy due to ease of ingress and egress the order will be Swift, i10, and Santro.Please note that strictly speaking the Swift is in the higher segment, but then is invariably an overlap.

first thing is your budget....santro costs around 3.35 lacs on road...i10 era costs around 3.55 lacs on road...swift lxi costs around 4.40 lacs on road....if you have flexible budget swift...if you can stretch 20ks more go for i10..if you are on strict budget santro.....technically i10 is bit better than santro in terms of ride comfort and interiors....rest in terms of performance i have not been able to make out the difference

sorry i quoted wrong price for era...era is going to cost you around 3.95 lacs on road....3.55 lacs is for i 10 dlite model....so in small car segment its upto you how much do you want to stretch your budget....coz if it was me instead of  paying 3.95 lacs i would have paid 4.4 for swift because it is an altogether different segment and it is worth it...else would have gone for santro GL which i did recently...

If one can spend 3.95lacs, then 4.4lacs shouldn't be a problem..plus the swift has got minor upgrades, though they are not noticeable unless u buy the ZXi.

If one can spend 3.95lacs' date=' then 4.4lacs shouldn't be a problem..plus the swift has got minor upgrades, though they are not noticeable unless u buy the ZXi.

[/quote']

Maybe Maruti should run a spot the difference contest!!

As other people have pointed out, go for the i10 or the Swift. i10 is the car of the year this year and Swift was the car of the year, last year. That tells a lot. And rightly so. Both these cars are new designs and NOT upgrades or facelifts. So they are very good.

If you have the money, go for the top variant of car you choose. It is worth the money, considering the safety features and the comforts the top variants offer. And go for the petrol model. It is not worth the extra initail outlay for the diesel unless you do more than 20,000 km per year!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your car purchase.

As other people have pointed out' date=' go for the i10 or the Swift. i10 is the car of the year this year and Swift was the car of the year, last year. That tells a lot. And rightly so. Both these cars are new designs and?NOT upgrades or facelifts. So they are very good.

If you have the money, go for the top?variant of?car you choose. It is worth the money, considering the safety features and the comforts the top variants offer. And go for the petrol model. It is not worth the extra initail outlay for the diesel unless you do more than 20,000 km per year!

Hope this helps. Good luck with your car purchase.
[/quote']

Rightly said.

If you have the money, it is best to go for the top end variant.

I even feel that one should go for the top end of a lower segment car, rather than the bottom end of a higher segment.

The top var is nearly always relatively better VFM.

As far as variants are concerned. A useful interpretation can be

1. Lowest variant : More to get footfalls in to the dealerships, than to sell. Mostly totally stripped of all creature (and often safety) stuff.

2. Top variant: for the well loaded. Not necessarily best value for money for the average buyer.

3. Best value for Money: Normally the second from top.

Further a piece of hardware will cost you more to retrofit than to buy it as part of the package. You have to balance this against the additional things you may have to buy as part of the variant, which you may not want.

This thumb rule applies for 90% of cases. Try and avoid retrofitting what is available factory fitted. It is never the same. The only exception here is the music system. Until you start hitting the high end the fitted music system is really not anywhere top notch. This is the reason that many vendors avoid including a music system. Some do put in the speakers, and antenna. Even if you have to change the speakers (try for the same size)this may be a good idea - avoids all the cutting of panels etc.

Also, resale value is dictated by the cheapest popular variant.

As far as variants are concerned. A useful interpretation can be1. Lowest variant : More to get footfalls in to the dealerships' date=' than to sell. Mostly totally stripped of all creature (and often safety) stuff.2. Top variant: for the well loaded. Not necessarily best value for money for the average buyer.3. Best value for Money: Normally the second from top.Further a piece of hardware will cost you more to retrofit than to buy it as part of the package. You have to balance this against the additional things you may have to buy as part of the variant, which you may not want. This thumb rule applies for 90% of cases. Try and avoid retrofitting what is available factory fitted. It is never the same. The only exception here is the music system. Until you start hitting the high end the fitted music system is really not anywhere top notch. This is the reason that many vendors avoid including a music system. Some do put in the speakers, and antenna. Even if you have to change the speakers (try for the same size)this may be a good idea - avoids all the cutting of panels etc.Also, resale value is dictated by the cheapest popular variant.

[/quote']

Pretty comprehensive.

I agree today with sun-roofs and what not, the top end is maybe a bit top heavy, but typically otherwise, the top end is better VFM.

Actually it is more than that. If the option is popular then it will enhance the value . It is true that a factory fitted option will in general have a higher resale than an after market one. However, in the case of music systems and the like this may not be the case.

Just remember the supposed 'depreciation' will make you wince.

I know. When I wanted to sell my car, the dealer told me that the stereo would enhance the selling price by 500 bucks. So ask him about the speakers, he says the speakers are included in the 500 offer!!

(I had spent close to 11K on it about 2 years earlier!!)