cavallino

2009 F-1 Regs

It seems like the FIA has been making all the right moves as far as the 2009 technical regulations are concerned. Despite Max Mosley's resistance to the idea (to hell with that creep), slicks are coming back so the increased mechanical grip will make it easier for cars to follow each other through a corner. The reduced downforce levels will reduce the air turbulence over the wings making the cars less prone to the 'dirty air' effect that causes the front end to wash out. This seems like a good formula for overtaking but as is the case the FIA has thrown in its usual spanner in the works.

I really do not agree with this idea of banning tyre warmers. Not only will it make things incredibly risky. One of the Toro Rosso drivers that tried driving on cold slicks without tyre warmers last November was 14 SECONDS off the pace. Imagine what could happen in a scenario where a car coming out of the pits comes out ahead of a car on the track that has its tyres all warmed up. This seems like a real recipe for disaster. My guess is cost cutting is the motivation for this but wouldn't it be best if this is left to the teams discretion under the budget cap that is to be imposed from next year too?

Your thoughts on this guys/girls. I would like to see the FIA just get everything right for once as far as its endless tinkering with the rulebook is concerned. This practice seems to be a legacy of Mosley's reign as FIA president. I for one want no more of ze punishment.

Slick tyres - Massa could go 4 sec faster on slicks compared to grooved tyres on the first day of testing at Circuit de Catalunya this week.

Reduced dirty air - If you see the cars in Indy Racing, they suffer very little from the 'dirty air'. This in turn would make it a race of horse power rather than technique. F1 tends to lean towards the technique side and maybe thats the reason FIA is opposed to the idea.

Tinkering with the rules - Personally am fine with this as long as the teams are. F1 is on the sharp end of technology and if the rules become routine, the technology progress 'may' be at a slower pace. I agree that Mosley's reign has had more changes than any other, but the others didn't have to contend with the absolute domintation that Ferrari and Schumi had. I love the Ferraris, but their domination actually had an effect of dropping viewer population and hence the regulations to bring in more competitiveness.

I somehow always got the feeling that F1 was always pro-Ferrari.

Anyways' date=' the more title contenders, the more exciting racing is going to get. [/quote']

In recent times, maybe...but there was a 21 year gap between 1979 and 2000 in which Ferrari never won a championship.

I agree.

But more than the lack of support, I think it was the fact that they neither had a Schumacher, or a car worthy of Schumi.

I think Schumi would be best remembered in Ferrari as the person who picked the team up by the scruff of its neck, and put in back on track!!

They were definitely not. They want money - no single person/team should dominate. Hence anti Schuey (equates to Ferrari). They really played with the rules (eight scoring positions instead of six, etc.).

F1 racing is centred in the South of England - lower Midlands. The vast majority incl the Germans & Japs are mostly there. So they cannot tolerate 'outsiders' winning.

Now it appears that the name of the game is Hamilton, and they are trying hard to oust Massa and (maybe) Alonso to ensure that. I have no sympathy for the latter.

Well, Ferrari did manage to get away with more infractions than that would be tolerated in any other team.

And while the F1 rules may have been modified to increase the chances of other teams (admit it, when Ferrari was winning race after race with a 1-2, things were getting boring!!), on little things, Ferrari always managed to get their say. I remember (forget the year) when they got the start finish line shifted backwards at the Indianapolis GP to avoid starting on the Brickyard!!

(BTW, no sympathies for Alonso from this side also)

You should have heard the speculation of Hamilton replacing Massa before Massa shut them up. If the Brits dominate what will we get - the last was  Hunt 'the Shunt'.

You should have heard the speculation of Hamilton replacing Massa before Massa shut them up. If the Brits dominate what will we get - the last was  Hunt 'the Shunt'.

Hamilton in a Ferrari! that would have in a twist. I love the Ferraris and I don't like Hamilton. Gee am glad he is sticking to McLaren. And I'll join sgiitk and Aditya in saying "No sympathies for Alonso" smiley4.gif (hoping he doesn't get Massa's seat next year)

Alonso according to me is the worst F1 champion that there's ever been.

He cries when he loses, he cries when he wins. He cries when he overtakes someone, he cries when he doesn't. He cries when he gets into a team, then he cries cos he wants to get out.

Why doesn't that Spanish donkey just leave the sport to the real sportsmen?

Alonso according to me is the worst F1 champion that there's ever been.

He cries when he loses' date=' he cries when he wins. He cries when he overtakes someone, he cries when he doesn't. He cries when he gets into a team, then he cries cos he wants to get out.

Why doesn't that Spanish donkey just leave the sport to the real sportsmen?
[/quote']

Pretty strong first post!!!

You obviously are not an Alonso fan!!

Welcome to the Forum!!AdityaM2008-04-17 16:55:32

You should have heard the speculation of Hamilton replacing Massa before Massa shut them up. If the Brits dominate what will we get - the last was? Hunt 'the Shunt'.

Hamilton in a Ferrari! that would have in a twist. I love the Ferraris and I don't like Hamilton. Gee am glad he is sticking to McLaren. And I'll join sgiitk and Aditya in saying "No sympathies for Alonso" smiley4.gif (hoping he doesn't get Massa's seat next year)

After his role in the spy scandal the last year, I doubt if Ferrari will ever consider Alonso.

@starscream 69

alonso is no spanish donkey. if anything. he's the guy who ended schumi's reign. and he's the youngest-ever world champion. i think u should be a little judicious in your comments.

@starscream 69

alonso is no spanish donkey. if anything. he's the guy who ended schumi's reign. and he's the youngest-ever world champion. i think u should be a little judicious in your comments.

Yes, but only after they changed the rules repeatedly to stop the Red Italian Prancing Horse and its rider. Short of tying up his arms behind his back, they did everything possible to stop Schumi, before they succeeded. After all the Brits had to appear to be 'fair'.

sgiitk2008-04-29 07:19:15

@starscream 69

No offense P_One, but Alonso is called the Spanish Donkey within the team. After the 2006 Australian GP, he did mock the action of a donkey flapping its ears.

1.jpg

Yes he's the youngest ever F1-championship winner, but I wouldn't call him a Champion. It takes more than mere points and race wins to be called a Champion.

@ darklord

alonso's definitely displayed more than enough character to be called a champion.

when the fia suddenly decided that renault's mass damper was illegal, he still came back from that to win the c'ship, despit the renault team having to burn the candle at both ends to make the car competitive again.

then last season, he definitely got mclaren up to speed. his claim that he brought six-tenths to the team might have seemed like a tall claim, but fact is, the minute he left, mclaren have been in a nose dive. look what's happening now that he's back at renault....they're competitive again. he nearly put it on pole in catalunya, and everybody said he was running on fumes, which is not true. he pitted on lap 15. by contrast, lewis and company have been w@nk!ng off it seems. hamilton is a bloody good driver, but can he lead the car's development? i don't think so....

P_One2008-05-05 08:14:44

Yup, though I am not a fan, you can judge his talents by comparing the performances of his team mate(s).

They have invariably performed lots worse with what should be the same car.

Yeps, I too agree that he's very talented (obviously not everyone can win the championship). But he's not as pious as the former champions. And as for pulling back Renault into form, well he's not planning to stick around at Renault for a while right. By the end of the second race of the season he's already speculating a move to other teams, which is definitely not the kind of behavior shown by former champions like Hill and Villenueve when they moved to lower teams.