LokeshG

Aveo 1.4 -- 500kms Review

Dear all,
I got my Aveo 1.4 in the first week of August and after having driven 500 kms, I am putting here my views and reviews.

Before Buying: confused.gif
I was equally confused, as most of the others in this forum, as to which car should I buy? My budget was around 6L and main priorities were comfort, FE and low maintenance cost. I had zeroed in on Getz 1.3 / Esteem / Accent / Aveo 1.4 / Fiesta 1.4 / Sx4. Based upon various test drives and owner feedbacks, I finally decided to go for Aveo 1.4.

Exterior:
I liked the car when I looked at it the very first time. The contours give it a solid and a muscular look and the car makes its presence feel on the road. I got Platinum Metallica colour and it looks nice on Aveo. The overall paint work and finishing is really good.

dsc00296ns7.th.jpg

dsc00305vb7.th.jpg

Interiors:
The interiors are classy as compared to other cars in this segment. The black and beige combination is nicely planned and gives an executive look and feel. The quality of plastics is also good.

dsc00304kz0.th.jpg

The new spedometer cluster surely looks better than the old one. The green dials with bright red pointers look attractive at night. Chrome has been used nicely on the outer dials.

dsc00300jp4.th.jpg

The center console is also placed conveniently with space for keeping glasses, mobile, etc. The ashtray, cigerette lighter and glass holder have been integrated nicely. The black-beige dashboard looks great and has a digital clock. However, at times the beige colour reflects on the windshield under direct sunlight which causes a little discomfort while driving. But this is not very serious and one gets used to it over time. The front seats are spacious and have a reasonably good leg room.

dsc00293ym2.th.jpg

The back seats are also comfortable and can easily sit three people with a reasonably good leg room. Overall the cabin is very silent, spacious and is well designed.

dsc00302og9.th.jpg

dsc00298xo8.th.jpg

The boot space is sufficient and well-lit. The back windshield has defogger and a printed antenna as well.

dsc00295df5.th.jpg

Performance:
Engine: The engine is very silent and turns on smoothly. Since there is no vibration at all, at times you can feel as if the engine is not running. Initially I felt the pick-up was not as peppy as you would expect from a 94bhp engine. However, after driving for about 300 kms, I feel it has improved. Moreover, once you move beyond 1500-2000 rpm, you can feel the power and momentum it gains. Not only that, you can feel that this car has a very good torque. You can come down to the speed of 30-35 in the 4th gear and move up again while being in the same gear. Changing gears quite often is thus not required.

Gearbox: The new improved gearshift is definitely better than the old one. Those who have driven the old version and the new version as well will agree on this. The gear rod is very stable with no vibrations and does not shake while the engine is running.

Suspension: The cars footwear is tubeless. It has a superb suspension which makes the drive and ride very comfortable. Deep potholes and high speed-brakers are very well taken care off as Aveo has a nice high ground clearance.

Brakes: Quite effective. No problem faced as of now.

Air Conditioning: Not bad at all. I have (when driving alone) not felt the need of moving beyond the first level cooling even in the day time. The blowers/vents are round and can turn 360 degrees and can be covered when not required or not in use.

F.E.: I have driven just about 500 kms (98% in city), and rough calculation indicates around 10 km/litre with AC on. I guess this should improve once I cross the 1000/2000km mark. Will let you know as I drive more.

ICE:
Sony CDX GT560 xplod with 1622 round speakers with inbuilt tweeters: Very easy to operate, nice features with large display. Sound clarity is great and output is more than sufficient for me. -- 8K

Other Expenses:
Teflon Coating + Underbody Anti-rust Coating: 4.1K
Autocop Central Locking (with engine immobilizer): 3.7K
Xenor Gear Lock: 1K
PU seat covers -- 4.5K: Will be getting them this week.
Future Expenses: Chrome door handles and Body-coloured ORVMs.

Price: 6L on road
Dealer: Autovikas. Waiting period at delivery: 1 hour. Overall experience: Good.

Overall:
A very good car at a very good price. Real value for money. I have no regrets at all having chosen Aveo 1.4. smiley32.gif

Great review LokeshG. Have driven the Aveo extensively but that was just after it was launched. Didnt like the engine (not free-revving) and the gearbox was notchy but I think GM has taken al feeback to heart and have improved the product.  

Nice detailed write-up. Congratulations on your buy. It looks great in that colour. Dont worry about the pick up. It will improve as you pile up the kilometres.

FRG

Thanks! I guess you are right as after driving another 200 kms or so, I have noticed a positive difference in pick up.

hi.. congrats.. aveo is 1 good looking car.. is 1.6 better than 1.4 as i have heard that 1.4 is nearlly as good as 1.6.. so does it make sense to buy 1.6.. ?

Thanks Aks! Aveo 1.4 is the basic model whereas Aveo 1.6 is the top-end variant. Looks wise (external) it is the same. The difference, however, lies in the extra features that come with 1.6 version, like dirver seat height adjustment, front fog lamps, woody finish on the dashboard and doors, chrome door handles, mp3 player with speakers, etc. There is also an optional version in 1.6 which comes with airbags, etc. In terms of performance, I did not find much difference between the two. So it is just the features and interiors. Having said that, the final choice is absolutely yours. But no doubt, features offered in Aveo 1.4 are more than what is provided in a base variant.

hi.. congrats.. aveo is 1 good looking car.. is 1.6 better than 1.4 as i have heard that 1.4 is nearlly as good as 1.6.. so does it make sense to buy 1.6.. ?

Thanks Aks! Aveo 1.4 is the basic model whereas Aveo 1.6 is the top-end variant. Looks wise (external) it is the same. The difference' date=' however, lies in the extra features that come with 1.6 version, like dirver seat height adjustment, front fog lamps, woody finish on the dashboard and doors, chrome door handles, mp3 player with speakers, etc. There is also an optional version in 1.6 which comes with airbags, etc. In terms of performance, I did not find much difference between the two. So it is just the features and interiors. Having said that, the final choice is absolutely yours. But no doubt, features offered in Aveo 1.4 are more than what is provided in a base variant.
[/quote'] hi.. i also find 1.4 better than 1.6 but i want to buy with airbags and abs so i was looking for 1.6.. and ya you are right that aveo has very good features and the model 1.4LS to me is the best.. do you think aiirbags and abs makes a difference in city driving..

hi.. i also find 1.4 better than 1.6 but i want to buy with airbags and abs so i was looking for 1.6.. and ya you are right that aveo has very good features and the model 1.4LS to me is the best.. do you think aiirbags and abs makes a difference in city driving..

IMO i do not feel the necessity of airbags and abs in city driving as one does not and can not really drive at very high speeds thus less chances of any major collission. However, the safety features are must if one is majorly driving on highways. This opinion may vary from person to person but the bottom line is "It is better to be safe.

not a bad review . would liek 2 hear more nice reviews in future keep it upp good work. but now as the Sx4 is Launched aveo is noo  match for itt.

Thanks! Will keep updating as I drive more.

BTW I do not agree with you on Aveo is no match for SX4. Both are nice cars and have their own set of pros and cons.

Hi Lokesh,

At this rate u can use this review in ur resume if u want to join Autocar, Admin hope u saw this cool review. Congrats Lokesh and Happy driving in ur Aveo 1.4, and who do u have for company Rani Mukherjee, ask her to see me she has a real hoarse voice and Im an ENT surgeon...

Hey guys i have recently moved from Bangalore to Andheri (mumbai) and i am planning to buy a new SUV in the range of 6-7 lac which one would be a good option. I have little knowledge about cars.

Good review there. I think GM has improved the car substantially. Though I havn't personally driven the Aveo, I cant comment on its degree of improvement. But u seem to be very happy.

Happy n safe motoring.

@viktheram, in 6-7 lacs, your choices are limited. Still, u can check out the new sumo grande Ex. Other options are the Scorpio Lx and the base version of the Tavera.

Hi Lokesh

I am interested in buying the Aveo 1.4 and just read your nicely written review.

Since I also live in delhi please let me know whether autovikas offered you any discounts or free accessories so that when i go there i am in a good position to bargain. Were the costs that you mentioned like teflon coating etc additional or included in the 6L that you have mentioned.

Also if you can update your review with your experience since then it would be great as in your experience in getting the car serviced or any good/bad things you might have noticed since then about the car.

Thanks

Vishesh

hi,

Nice test drive report. Thanks, Can u pl update me further as I am confused among FORD FIESTA, SWIFT DEZIRE, MARUTI SX4 AND AVEO 1.4 (all Petrol sedans)?? Should I go for Aveo 1.4 LS Special edition?? I hv heard that performance wise Fiesta is better (??) but Looks wise Aveo is far better. Have you faced any difficultiy/trouble so far with Aveo??

hi rakeshsinha.. why is honda city and hyundai verna not in your list any specific reason because they both are very good cars.. can you tel me your requirements and where do you live so i can advice you better..  

hi rakeshsinha.. why is honda city and hyundai verna not in your list any specific reason because they both are very good cars.. can you tel me your requirements and where do you live so i can advice you better..  

hi, Hona delears are not available in Ranchi (where I live in). The cost of Verna is also higher and the milleage is low as compared to AVEO. What I liked in AVEO is that they are providing all the luxuries in their 1.4 LS SPECIAL EDITION like 1. Alloy wheels 2. Tubeless tyres,3. Leathers Up..4. 2 DIN 6 speakers KENWOOD music sys 5 Keyless entry and antitheft alarm etc. Few of these features are not available in SX4, Fiesta and Verna at Just 6.61 L (They are offering a discount of 12 K to Reliance employee). Hi wat's yu idea. I am a family person and not an entusiastic driver. Please advise the pros and cosn of AVEO