LokeshG

Aveo 1.4 -- 500kms Review

Its good for u go ahead ...as u are not enthu driver this is a car for u with upper segment like interior quality n good features ...n gm's service is good so go ahead.

Hi  AKS

Thanks !! But are there few concerns with AVEO related to safety (Poorly performed in NCAP crush test) and noisy gear shift ?? In my view people are talking on these because they hv tested and read reviews on AVEO 2006 and not the latest AVEO of 2008 which was relaunced in 2007. What is the average milleage it is giving?? In my view the after sales service is excellent in my city and don't hv idea about its resale. Looks, FE and comfort wise, it is better than the other cars of its segment.

hi rakesh.. about the safety issue it performed good in the nhtsa crash test but it performed badly in euro ncap crash test so it is difficult to say whether its a safe car or no and even if it is unsafe it doesnt make other cars more safe.. the honda city and corrolla has a very light body still they sell like anythg and i find both the cars unsafe.. and about the gearbox it is better now though not as slick as honda citys.. as fas as i know it wont give you more than 12 in the city and 15 on the highway.. if the aftersales service in your city is good and you are sure that you wont have problem with availbility of parts you can go ahead and buy aveo its a vfm car and its as good as verna, sx4, fiesta and city.. jus remember aveo will have a very bad resale and if you planning to keep it for more than 4 yrs then it shouldnt bother you.. verna, sx4 and city will have better resale than aveo and fiesta..  and i myself really like aveo.. hope this helps. 

Dear all,
I got my Aveo 1.4 in the first week of August and after having driven 500 kms, I am putting here my views and reviews.

Before Buying: confused.gif
I was equally confused, as most of the others in this forum, as to which car should I buy? My budget was around 6L and main priorities were comfort, FE and low maintenance cost. I had zeroed in on Getz 1.3 / Esteem / Accent / Aveo 1.4 / Fiesta 1.4 / Sx4. Based upon various test drives and owner feedbacks, I finally decided to go for Aveo 1.4.

Exterior:
I liked the car when I looked at it the very first time. The contours give it a solid and a muscular look and the car makes its presence feel on the road. I got 'Platinum Metallica' colour and it looks nice on Aveo. The overall paint work and finishing is really good.

dsc00296ns7.th.jpg

dsc00305vb7.th.jpg

Interiors:
The interiors are classy as compared to other cars in this segment. The black and beige combination is nicely planned and gives an executive look and feel. The quality of plastics is also good.

dsc00304kz0.th.jpg

The new spedometer cluster surely looks better than the old one. The green dials with bright red pointers look attractive at night. Chrome has been used nicely on the outer dials.

dsc00300jp4.th.jpg

The center console is also placed conveniently with space for keeping glasses, mobile, etc. The ashtray, cigerette lighter and glass holder have been integrated nicely. The black-beige dashboard looks great and has a digital clock. However, at times the beige colour reflects on the windshield under direct sunlight which causes a little discomfort while driving. But this is not very serious and one gets used to it over time. The front seats are spacious and have a reasonably good leg room.

dsc00293ym2.th.jpg

The back seats are also comfortable and can easily sit three people with a reasonably good leg room. Overall the cabin is very silent, spacious and is well designed.

dsc00302og9.th.jpg

dsc00298xo8.th.jpg

The boot space is sufficient and well-lit. The back windshield has defogger and a printed antenna as well.

dsc00295df5.th.jpg

Performance:
Engine: The engine is very silent and turns on smoothly. Since there is no vibration at all, at times you can feel as if the engine is not running. Initially I felt the pick-up was not as peppy as you would expect from a 94bhp engine. However, after driving for about 300 kms, I feel it has improved. Moreover, once you move beyond 1500-2000 rpm, you can feel the power and momentum it gains. Not only that, you can feel that this car has a very good torque. You can come down to the speed of 30-35 in the 4th gear and move up again while being in the same gear. Changing gears quite often is thus not required.

Gearbox: The new improved gearshift is definitely better than the old one. Those who have driven the old version and the new version as well will agree on this. The gear rod is very stable with no vibrations and does not shake while the engine is running.

Suspension: The car's footwear is tubeless. It has a superb suspension which makes the drive and ride very comfortable. Deep potholes and high speed-brakers are very well taken care off as Aveo has a nice high ground clearance.

Brakes: Quite effective. No problem faced as of now.

Air Conditioning: Not bad at all. I have (when driving alone) not felt the need of moving beyond the first level cooling even in the day time. The blowers/vents are round and can turn 360 degrees and can be covered when not required or not in use.

F.E.: I have driven just about 500 kms (98% in city), and rough calculation indicates around 10 km/litre with AC on. I guess this should improve once I cross the 1000/2000km mark. Will let you know as I drive more.

ICE:
Sony CDX GT560 xplod with 1622 round speakers with inbuilt tweeters: Very easy to operate, nice features with large display. Sound clarity is great and output is more than sufficient for me. -- 8K

Other Expenses:
Teflon Coating + Underbody Anti-rust Coating: 4.1K
Autocop Central Locking (with engine immobilizer): 3.7K
Xenor Gear Lock: 1K
PU seat covers -- 4.5K: Will be getting them this week.
Future Expenses: Chrome door handles and Body-coloured ORVMs.

Price: 6L on road
Dealer: Autovikas. Waiting period at delivery: 1 hour. Overall experience: Good.

Overall:
A very good car at a very good price. Real value for money. I have no regrets at all having chosen Aveo 1.4. smiley32.gif
[/quote']

Hi Loksh,

I also own an Aveo 1.4 LS Limited edition which I bought on 20th May only. The car is nice and interiers are impressive. There is no noise inside the cabin which I liked most. I made a number of researches and finally end up with Aveo which is really VFM. I also liked its pick up and ground clearance 181 cm highest in this segment. I don't worry on resale value which the other people use to question.

Good color i think its new one right... but i like black on aveo n cherry red on all chevy cars .... N when we talk about interiors the aveo has best interiors when compared.bluesapphire2008-06-03 11:42:19

hi,

I also like black but then the maintenance cost will be high. Ya, its a new colour as I didn't see on roads with other cars. Which car do u own ?? and which others are yr favourites. Do u like Aveo Limited edition??

I own honda city black hyundai getz n chevy spark ...my future additions can be a civic or crv or captiva or we are also keen on vw jetta which we r planning to buy any of these or new launches(if good) around diwali or year end .....n i love lambo gallardo n hummer...

wat is yr personal view on chevy 1.4 LS in comparison to Fiesta, SX4, Verna (all petrol)?? I think the chevy is better as a complete package.

u can see the test drive report of VV jetta in the latest edition of Autocar.

After seeing report only we decided for jetta ...n for aveo its a good car as its with great deal now its comfortable interiors are best in class build quality is good but its not driver focused car n gear shift though improved not upto mark but still a good value now ...verna though expensive is good car drive n for fiesta the build quality n stability is best when compared ...but now as chevy is giving good deals on service n car itself its helping them selling this car n after cashless scheme their all cars r having somewhat good response than before